• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX GMS2 splash screen

JAG

Hiya, Im wondering if anyone knows if/how I can get rid of the GMS2 splash screen when I launch my game. Im on the MacOS beta, but I've paid for GMS2 via Steam.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Logout and then log back in again - it has not picked up your license change

Russell

P

Pillsef

I'm having the same issue - splash screen persists even after logging in & out again (after purchasing the full version).
I see the checkbox to disable it for the Windows target (from the Mac IDE), but not seeing it for macOS. Anything else I should try?

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
There is no ability to switch off the splash screen on Mac (only Windows had this)

Russell

S

Sam (Deleted User)

After discussed this with the support there indeed is no way to disable the splash screen. I've been told it's Apple's requirement to have the splash screen every time build is made and getting rid of it is not possible.
I can't believe they said such hogwash... Do you have ANY idea how many games and software for Mac have NO splash screen? And the fact they said it's not even possible is the joke of the day.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
I can't believe they said such hogwash... Do you have ANY idea how many games and software for Mac have NO splash screen? And the fact they said it's not even possible is the joke of the day.
Or perhaps they do.... and they're just black/white? Just because it doesn't show an actual picture, doesn't mean it doesn't have one.

Yes, we could fill this in for you with a "black" screen I guess. but then, what if you wanted a white one? or blue? *shurg*

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Would you like me to show you an app I made with a software that wasn't GMS? It has no splash screen, which is nothing special. There's many apps that don't, anyway...

The Mac app can be downloaded from here:

http://timekillergames.weebly.com/cabin-fever-escape-3d.html

Feel free to look inside the package contents. You will find no native splash screen. It does however embed an HTML control with a non-native "splash screen", which I added by choice, not because I was required to. I could just make it go straight to the game if I wanted to.

Also, GM4Mac games have no splash screen; I know because I own it.

I rest my case.

Last edited by a moderator:

gnysek

Are you talking about Mac app, or Mac app for App Store? Those are two different things, and those for app store requires to have splash screen, otherwise they are invalidated before publishing.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I was talking about non-app store apps. Thus as I was saying, it is possible, just like gamepads are possible if you aren't looking to publish on the Mac App Store. :)

But a good question comes to mind: I've heard from YoYoGames that you can upload GM4Mac games to the Mac App Store, so if that's the case, then why is there no splash screen?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

^Yeah, I would like to know that as well.

When I realised linux got it but mac didn't, I figured why removing the splash wasn't implemented was because you'll get your app rejected on their store, but since the same is true with games that use gamepads and the gamepad functions can be turned on for the mac export, I didn't see why having the option to remove the splash should be any different.

Last edited by a moderator:

gnysek

According to my source, last version of GM4Mac was released on 29/08/2011, so just half year after Mac Store was opened. A lot of things has changed since that time.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Good point, but that still doesn't explain why they can't do the same thing they do with the gamepad support - we should still have the option to turn it on and off. Maybe just make a label below the checkbox saying "WARNING: Turning off splash is for non App Store apps only!!!" - surely that would be hard to miss?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Yeah I suppose it's not that big of a deal.

Wait... So they are starting to do the same thing they did with iOS to Mac? Like, literally the only way to distribute apps will have to be through Apple's store? Great. This is exactly why I hate Apple.

Reactions: Yal

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
No quite yet, but it's heading that way.

Also, if I go looking for an Mac app, it's now the first place I check. So pretty much by default, this is where everyone should put their app as it's become the place to get Mac apps.... so again, it makes sense for this to be the default.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

This means you guys will have to eventually release GMS2's Mac IDE on their store, right? But doesn't GMS2 kinda do a few things that goes against their guidlines? Like for example, retrieving statistics without user permission? That will have to be removed completely for you guys to not get rejected.

I'm not sure what else would be a problem, but creating apps and software for platforms that rival their platforms, well, it doesn't seem like something they would be ok with, knowing how Apple is.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Possibly. There are lots of tools on there. Apple don't mind you doing cross platform tools.

S

SpecTre

I still think we need a button to be able to turn the splash screen on or off, unless someone knows something different but it is a pain when developing a game that every time you test what you have done, you have to wait for the splash screen to go before you can test.
Still don't understand why this has to be on there, I have some apps on the Mac and iOS stores that don't have a splash screen and also using other dev tools like AGK doesn't use one by default so don't get it.
At least have an option for a timer for how long the splash screen is displayed for would be good so can set it to zero for testing?

What do I do if I want to do my own splash screen in code before the game starts like a loading screen. I understand that can just set the screen to black but then when start the game it has a black screen pause before anything.

Ideas?

M

mbguy

Same here. I don't get it to be frank. Having a fixed delay when running dev builds feels very very bad for someone who pays money for this software.

The whole argument that Apple expects this is - well, really, I'm lost for words. Anyone can set the splash screen to black and then there is no splash screen. So it can be disabled even now. But you cannot disable the crippling delay. And that is the whole problem here.

Exactly. IDC about changing the splash, I want it gone so I don't have to wait an extra 3 seconds every time I launch the player.
3 Seconds?!!? 3...seconds???

I remember the good old days when we were lucky if the game loaded in under 3 minutes...we even had mini games that we could play while the main game was loading!

Are you sure the delay is due to the loading screen?

I suppose a YoYo dev would have to confirm this, but the base game runner/engine would still have to be loaded into memory first before anything else can happen.

I can't think of any games that have no loading time / no initial splash screen (or blackness)...

Except maybe minesweeper.

D

DigitalProphet

I'm a bit confused.
I have GMS:2 Desktop

I run it on Mac, does this mean that I can't disable the Splash screen or change it to something else at all?
I'm changing the splash graphic, then run it and yet the Gamemaker Studio 2 splash keeps coming up.
I can't even build a game without the developer ID, why would one need this if you don't intend to publish on the Mac App store?
The option says leave blank if you dont want code signing but this doesnt seem to work as i keep getting compile errors.

I run it on Mac, does this mean that I can't disable the Splash screen or change it to something else at all?
I'm changing the splash graphic, then run it and yet the Gamemaker Studio 2 splash keeps coming up.
I use 2.1.3.273 on Mac. I just tested changing the splash screen.

Interestingly, when I change the splash screen, and then test-run the game from within the IDE, the custom splash screen does not appear, just the default Made with Game Maker 2 shows up.

However, when I make a stand-alone app, my custom splash screen appears.

Not sure if bug or feature, but could be confusing when the change in the settings is not reflected until making an executable.

I can't even build a game without the developer ID, why would one need this if you don't intend to publish on the Mac App store?
You can build a game without the developer ID, just leave the "Signing Identifier" field blank.

The option says leave blank if you dont want code signing but this doesnt seem to work as i keep getting compile errors.
Ive logged a bug for this a while ago. Every time I restart the Mac IDE, the "Signing Identifier" field gets reset to the following text "Developer ID Application:", even if I had deleted it previously.

upload_2018-3-2_3-11-59.png

NOTE: It only does this if the field was blank when you exit GMS 2. If you had entered an actual developer ID, or anything at all, it will remember what you entered there.

So before you make a standalone app using BUILD->Create Executable from the Menu, make sure you delete that text from the field. (If you haven't already tried it that is)

W

Wheel7Games

I also have the problem of still seeing the original splash screen, while I have replaced all of them. Is this a bug or by design? It's pretty annoying, since you want to see your own splash screen.

It does work when I export to iOS though.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
When you press Run and targeting a VM build for Mac we use a runner application that has been pre-built with the default Splash Screen, which is what you are seeing, when you do a Create Executable you should see you splash screen as the application will be built with your splash screen.

On most other platforms a full application needs to be built even for testing (because of other OS related issues) on Mac we shortcut the process to make the build time as short as possible.

If you had an extension or changed other options (I cannot remember the full set off the top of my head just now) then an application would be built for you even on a Run, so it could be tested properly.

I hope that clears it up for you all

Russell

W

Wheel7Games

Hi Russell.

Thanks for the clarification. That is absolutely helpful, also to understand why it is happening.

Keep up the good work!

TheSpydog

When you press Run and targeting a VM build for Mac we use a runner application that has been pre-built with the default Splash Screen, which is what you are seeing, when you do a Create Executable you should see you splash screen as the application will be built with your splash screen.

On most other platforms a full application needs to be built even for testing (because of other OS related issues) on Mac we shortcut the process to make the build time as short as possible.
That makes sense. Thanks for explaining!

That makes me wonder, though, would it be possible to remove the lengthy splash screen from the runner application and therefore skip the few-seconds wait before the actual game appears? Or is the default Splash Screen directly tied to the loading of the runner application itself? I'm just curious because, as many others earlier in the thread have stated, having to wait for the splash screen to finish before testing can be a frustrating bump in the road of iteration.

W

Wheel7Games

This problem seems to be solved in the latest update. Whoopwhoop. Thanks.

D

DigitalProphet

Really? I'm still seeing the splash screen when I run a game on the Mac IDE. Did you have to tweak any settings?
Yes it works for me. ( Thanks GM:S2 team :) )
Remember to change the splash screen.

Dunkelheit

Sorry to dig this thread up, I preferred do it instead create another one.

I'm using GMS2 Desktop on macOS, even if I change output from VM to YYC and vice-versa, even if I get logout and login it again the IDE still keep running with splash screen. I've tried but there is no way to rid off it.

TheSpydog

Yep, there's still no way to remove it. Reported this a little over a year ago... marked as Low Priority. Kinda frustrating since it adds seconds of waiting to each run of the game. I really hope YYG can fix this sometime soon.

K

kbaccki

Well, I'll put this right back at the top...

This splash screen thing on Mac seems a little silly at this point. I've seen folks suggest that a splash screen for a Mac app (not iOS) is "required" by Apple. Except Apple actually says the opposite.

Static splash screen images specifically for the Mac target needs to be TOTALLY optional, and OFF by default. Such behavior violates Apple's own interface guidelines:

https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/macos/app-architecture/onboarding/

"Avoid splash screens and instructions. Donā€™t make it difficult for someone to start using your app. Instead, let people dive right in. If your app needs tutorials or intro sequences, provide a way to skip them and don't show them to returning users."​

I mean it don't get any more clearer than that. Please do what Apple suggests makes a good app experience.

Perhaps there is some confusion with Apple mobile targets -- a splash screen IS required for iPhone/iPad apps for the purpose of "responsiveness" (which may be a little silly with today's mobile hardware):

https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/ios/app-architecture/onboarding/

"Provide a launch screen. A launch screen appears the moment your app starts, giving the impression that your app is fast and responsive, while allowing initial content to load. This screen is quickly replaced by the first screen of your app [...]"​

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Over 900 days passed. Issue still exists, still very annoying.
Three months later I will buy a cake and celebrate!
You should've waited 8 years, as per the good old "are the colors done yet?" tradition :p

TheSpydog

I'm really disappointed this is still an issue. I know in the grand scheme of things this is a minor problem, but it just destroys my workflow. I don't use a lot of GM these days, but occasionally I'll get inspired to make something and I'll fire up GMS2. And very soon afterward, I'll be greeted with that stupid splash screen. I know it only takes a few seconds, but that effectively doubles the amount of time between hitting Run and testing the game, every single time I want to test something. It's friction for friction's sake, and it suffocates my enthusiasm for using the tool.

I'm not joking when I say that if GMS 2.2.6 was released next quarter, and the only change was a checkbox for disabling the splash screen on macOS, I would consider that the best GMS2 update yet.