Free MISSILE COMMAND REMAKE (finished)

samspade

GAME TITLE: INCOMING: MISSILE CRISIS
TARGET PLATFORM: WINDOWS/ANDROID
PROGRESS: FINISHED

While I don't think I will publish the final version, I do consider it finished. Ultimately, I think it just isn't quite good enough. Probably at some point I will go back, update a few things, fix the few remaining bugs and temporarily publish it just for the experience.

Overall, I'm pleased with the result, even if I don't want to publish it. I learned a lot making it, and trying to finish a full game with all that entails was great. Perhaps at some point I'll turn a few of the systems in here into assets. At some point I'll update my template asset with the Android, resolution, and camera, features.

Special thanks to @Nirwanda for helping me with the art.

Downloads

Here is a link to the Zip File
Here is a link to the Android File

Attachments

Last edited:

samspade

2018.2.24 Update:
  • New enemies and missile types added
  • Experience added (currently no use for it, but will be used to upgrade and gain unockables)
  • Fixed a bug that prevented repairing damaged equipment
  • Optimizations getting the Android build to 100+ in menu rooms and 45 frames per second (up from 12) in game rooms
  • Other minor fixes and tweaks

2018.3.11 Update:
  • Delta Time implemented across project
  • Optimized to the point that it is playable on Android
  • All unlockables added
  • All upgradable equipment added
  • Crew Select Added
  • Crew have skills which level up as they work
  • Crew can panic when buildings are destroyed
  • Level and Game end overlay added
  • Game is now beatable (10 levels)
  • Difficulty Scaling reworked
  • Other minor fixes and tweaks
EDIT: Quick Fix - Starting characters aren't locked if you open it for the first time.

2018.3.21 Update
  • Continued optimizations
  • Android version available (still buggy sometimes)
  • Major UI overhaul (in game and menu)
  • Crew panic system changed
  • Various difficulty changes
  • Updates now erase your save
  • Various bug fixed
  • Graphics and sound added
  • More feedback for users added
2018.4.21 Update

(this was actually finished on April 8, and I took a break, so I've forgotten most of the updates)
  • Additional UI Added
  • Additional feedback for users added
  • Additional sounds added and change of sounds
  • Controls Screen
  • Various Graphical updates
  • And MORE
See updated link and zip executable here.
Android .apk file here.

Last edited:
A

Alex_Beach

Since you gave a great review of my game, I'm here to tear yours apart ;)
  • I liked how the game felt like a time crunch to save the city
  • I really like how you can be in control of 3 different styles of defenses at once.
  • It was confusing to remember who was where, so instead of clicking the person on the left, if I click on missile defense, and someone is assigned to it, my next click on an unassigned task should move them to it. (or maybe a click and drag)
  • I did not like the passive jobs, as they didn't feel very impactful or interactive (the reload and repair). I think reload should be automatic, but serve as a punishment for using all of your ammo. Same goes for the repair
  • The flames look amazing, but they can get in the way of new falling projectiles. I was hit a few times without noticing them.
  • The shield is pointless to put on the right/left side because it rotates instead of slides. I like how it moves slow so you can't abuse it, but it would be beneficial to slide it instead.
  • There is a lot of potential here. I would like to see some upgraded defenses, and some new ones to replace the passive ones (maybe some water sprayer or something).

Toque

Love 80’s classics. It’s a hard act to follow. You have been given good advice already. Glad you are giving it the love it deserves.

samspade

Since you gave a great review of my game, I'm here to tear yours apart ;)
  • I liked how the game felt like a time crunch to save the city
  • I really like how you can be in control of 3 different styles of defenses at once.
  • It was confusing to remember who was where, so instead of clicking the person on the left, if I click on missile defense, and someone is assigned to it, my next click on an unassigned task should move them to it. (or maybe a click and drag)
  • I did not like the passive jobs, as they didn't feel very impactful or interactive (the reload and repair). I think reload should be automatic, but serve as a punishment for using all of your ammo. Same goes for the repair
  • The flames look amazing, but they can get in the way of new falling projectiles. I was hit a few times without noticing them.
  • The shield is pointless to put on the right/left side because it rotates instead of slides. I like how it moves slow so you can't abuse it, but it would be beneficial to slide it instead.
  • There is a lot of potential here. I would like to see some upgraded defenses, and some new ones to replace the passive ones (maybe some water sprayer or something).
Thanks for the feedback. Either the next update, or the update after that will change up the UI. I think I'm going to get rid of the crew buttons and have you click on the crew directly as a number of people have said they can't remember who's who. I like the thoughts about repair and reload.

The visual effects are great. But on a side note, please dont use installers for WIP testing. Single exe pleeeeease.
If I could, I would. Unfortunately, this is not an option in GMS 2. See this: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/set-default-build-type.6080/#post-44376.

samspade

He is referring to compiling to exe directly. You can still compile to .zip which contains an executable (and unfortunately a lot of other crap too) but at least it's not an installer!
Good to know. I'll upload a zip file with the next update which should come next weekend.

samspade

What the? Thats the first I've heard of that. I've never had issues using single exe on GMS2
He is referring to compiling to exe directly. You can still compile to .zip which contains an executable (and unfortunately a lot of other crap too) but at least it's not an installer!
Updated version has a link to the zip folder which does contain a single run executable - thanks for letting me know about this.

Last edited:

samspade

New demo up and running. Also an android version. I'd love comments and tests - will exchange playtests if anyone wants to send me demos for review.