GMC Jam Discussion The Brilliant GMC Jam #7 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes of course there are more words. I just picked some I thought most likely. YES is a good one though. I hope no-one takes any of my lists to be totally comprehensive.

Lower and Lewis don't work because they're five letters, there's no space for the O after that. (Lowero, Lewiso are not words).

On another note, I noticed the contraction I'D actually allows for a four letter word: "- E - -". That's the only one that works with though.
In addition... it's also possible that we have a case of an omitted sound, like in SOMETHIN', or the apostrophe used instead of an E like, PROGRAM'D. Personally I think this unlikely, but it is possible.

Because of the options that work with the L and W... wow.

Please, somebody come up with a different good idea. That's really hard to work with yet... it fits so well.

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Hmmm... that seems likely The M...
methinx if it is that, that we will see a fair few physics based games... and maybe some looser/creative interpretation based around the 3rd law -
III. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
should be interesting!

Here's my really basic explanation of the three laws for anybody unfamiliar:

1st Law: Things don't move unless you make them move.

2nd Law: Big things and fast moving things hurt when they hit you.

3rd Law: Push somebody and they'll push you back. Also, things bounce when they hit walls.

I agree that the 3rd Law is probably the easiest to use in a game.

Z

zircher

Shame I'm going to be out of town this weekend. Physics games are always fun to make.

Micah_DS

I'm torn. On one hand, I kind of hope the theme isn't NEWTON'S LAWS OF MOTION, because then everyone would be like "woah... muh pre-jam game idees~", but then I also hope it is, because it'd probably be a good theme to encourage fun gameplay. Whatever the case, it's a brilliant guess.

On another note, it feels a bit too quiet this jam. So...how about a flaming potato to fire up some excitement?

P

Phynam

Oh crap. If it is Newton's Laws, this will call for some crazy-level reinterpretation.
Thank God for poetic license. :cool:

To go off CG, in terms of the Winter Olympics:

Law 1 - Curling
Law 2 - Bobsleigh
Law 3 - Two Koreans crashing each other off the course in speed skating (actually happened)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
I'm going to be using my drawing tablet and spriter to make all of the art/animations for my jam game.
I've been messing around with this for a while, and it makes some nice looking art, better than any pixel art I could do.

Ridiculous game with okay art, it's gonna be awesome.
returns to planning board with bucket of turnips

I'm sitting at work for the next few hours and I can't jam till I get home! The jam starts in ~20 mins!! Good Luck everyone!

I'm going to be using my drawing tablet and spriter to make all of the art/animations for my jam game.
I've been messing around with this for a while, and it makes some nice looking art, better than any pixel art I could do.

Ridiculous game with okay art, it's gonna be awesome.
returns to planning board with bucket of turnips
Why, are you now a Spellweaver mixed @roytheshort mixed old @True Valhalla?

Last edited by a moderator:
O

orSQUADstra

Well f*ck.
Never worked with physics before and they look like they take years to learn to code so.

When's the next Jam?

The M

Couldn't have done it without you guys! :p

Well f*ck.
Never worked with physics before and they look like they take years to learn to code so.

When's the next Jam?
Or you could do something that doesn't use physics. I for one won't be using it for this jam.

Or you can use the jam to learn! It's not that hard, at least if you've some experience using the script editor. If you're used to drag 'n' drop or not that into coding then yeah, it's probably a bit too much.

Micah_DS

Well f*ck.

When's the next Jam?
You could make a face slap sim. Two men stand facing each other. You slap him, he reactionally slaps you back, because:
Third law: When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body.
Of course, I'm joking around, but I'm also making a point. You don't need to use GM's phyiscs. Actually, for my own game idea, I won't need GM's physics either, and it's not a joke game like my example... well, it might be a joke, but it won't be a joke game.

(lol ninja'd)

O

orSQUADstra

Couldn't have done it without you guys! :p

Or you could do something that doesn't use physics. I for one won't be using it for this jam.

Or you can use the jam to learn! It's not that hard, at least if you've some experience using the script editor. If you're used to drag 'n' drop or not that into coding then yeah, it's probably a bit too much.
I never even touched drag 'n' drop xD I just never used physics before and therefore I would need to learn the whole freakin thing within 3 days. And I don't have an idea for a game that wouldn't involve physics. Maybe I'll just make a joke game like last time.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Newton's laws are actually relatively trivial and don't need a whole physics engine to be conveyed.

Like, in many games you move only when you press/hold movement buttons, and stop once you release them. Instead, you could make it so that pressing movement buttons accelerates the player in a specific direction (or decelerates them, if the player is going the opposite way) and keep going at a constant speed when the buttons are released. This kind of inertia works pretty well for the first and second law; and the acceleration I mentioned is a matter of simply increasing/decreasing the built-in speed variables.

Also, you could make it so that shooting in a specific direction comes with a recoil, pushing the player to the direction opposite to the shot. It conveys the third law.

O

orSQUADstra

Well dunno. My entry is finished, didn't have a better idea. xD Check my new abstract Jam game out pls.
It's very deep and only the ones with the highest IQ might understand the true meaning of my complicated and well structured game that I worked an eternity on.

The M

I've been working on turning Coincide into a full-scale game for a while now and would gladly put it up there but I'm afraid I'm not yet at a point where I can confidently give it away as a prize. Maybe by the next jam.

Status
Not open for further replies.