• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Gamemaker 8 vs. GameMaker Studio Trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GusCE6

Hello, everybody.

This is my first post, so hopefully it follows the guidelines!

I'm having problems with Undertale. There is a Demo version that used GameMaker 8; it runs just fine on the old Sony 2001 VAIO. But the "Full" version does not run- it simply gives the Windows XP message about "experiencing problems/must shut down/sorry."

I tried to figure out the problem and contacted the Undertale website, but that was a dead end. They simply said to contact this site, so...here I am.

The Sony has the following specs (this is from memory so it's not 100% complete):

Sony VAIO 2001 Model PCG-SRX77(UC) laptop.

Windows XP with Service Packs 1 and 3 installed. Home Edition, 5.1

256MB RAM with 768MB "virtual memory."

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R)3 Mobile CPU at 800MHz.

DirectX: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904).

Video RAM: A bit hard to say even with DXDIAG, but seems to be 4MB. Cannot be adjusted through Phoenix BIOS, like most laptops.

Resolution: 1024h x 768v, usually run in 16-Bit color but can be adjusted to 24-Bit or down to 8-Bit (256 colors).

Sound: Intel(R) Integrated Audio.

There is plenty of room in the "D" drive, where the game is stored. The "C" drive has 9.5GB to spare.

I've tried using 3D-Analyzer and adding the D3D9.DLL file, but so far that hasn't worked although maybe I haven't checked the right boxes.

The key here seems to be the difference between the GameMaker 8 and GameMaker Studio versions. What does Studio need or takes that 8 doesn't? For all I know a simple adjustment with a Hex Editor or a missing OS file may be the problem.

The idea is to get the game running on this device, so please limit any responses to how one might go about doing this.

Thank you.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Well, if that game was ported to GMS2 and that is what the full version was made in, XP is not a supported Windows platform anymore in Studio 2. However, back when I had an XP I do remember having problems running Studio 1 games as well with a similar sounding error/crash message.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, hopefully this is just a Studio 1 game and the issue can be fixed somehow.

G

GusCE6

Sorry for the delay- I do not have Internet where I am and getting to town is difficult at this time of year.

The error message is the typical "Experienced difficulty and must shut down, sorry for any inconvenience" message.

DXDIAG indicates that the DirectX version is listed as above: 9c.

Using 3-D Analyzer and Swift Shader have accomplished nothing, although the former did get the two Running Sheep games with the Unity engine working far, far better; just none of the other Unity games. So far Swift Shader has accomplished nothing whatsoever.

Now, I was able to isolate the "error message" the computer wanted to send to Microsoft. Here it is:

Error signature: "Offset: 0002281b" (this was in the grey box when you clicked for more info).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<DATABASE>
<EXE NAME="UNDERTALE.exe" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_PRIVACY">
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="D3DX9_43.dll" SIZE="1998168" CHECKSUM="0x6525781C" BIN_FILE_VERSION="9.29.952.3111" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="9.29.952.3111" PRODUCT_VERSION="9.29.952.3111" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Direct3D 9 Extensions" COMPANY_NAME="Microsoft Corporation" PRODUCT_NAME="Microsoft® DirectX for Windows®" FILE_VERSION="9.29.952.3111" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="D3DX9D.dll" INTERNAL_NAME="D3DX9D.dll" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1994-2007" VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x10001" VERFILETYPE="0x2" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x1E926D" LINKER_VERSION="0x60001" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="9.29.952.3111" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="9.29.952.3111" LINK_DATE="05/22/2010 01:21:17" UPTO_LINK_DATE="05/22/2010 01:21:17" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="UNDERTALE.exe" SIZE="3238400" CHECKSUM="0xAB83ED55" BIN_FILE_VERSION="0.9.9.5" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="0.9.9.5" PRODUCT_VERSION="0.9.9.5 " FILE_DESCRIPTION="Leading Brand UNDERTALE-type Software " COMPANY_NAME="Toby Fox " PRODUCT_NAME="UNDERTALE " FILE_VERSION="0.9.9.5 " INTERNAL_NAME="GameMaker:Studio Windows C++ Runner" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="(C) 2015 Toby Fox " VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x4" VERFILETYPE="0x1" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x32CAB1" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="0.9.9.5" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="0.9.9.5" LINK_DATE="03/24/2015 09:52:25" UPTO_LINK_DATE="03/24/2015 09:52:25" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United Kingdom) [0x809]" />
</EXE>
<EXE NAME="kernel32.dll" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_THISFILEONLY">
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="kernel32.dll" SIZE="989696" CHECKSUM="0x7D737C09" BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Windows NT BASE API Client DLL" COMPANY_NAME="Microsoft Corporation" PRODUCT_NAME="Microsoft® Windows® Operating System" FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="kernel32" INTERNAL_NAME="kernel32" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="© Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x40004" VERFILETYPE="0x2" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0xF44A2" LINKER_VERSION="0x50001" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" LINK_DATE="04/14/2008 00:11:24" UPTO_LINK_DATE="04/14/2008 00:11:24" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
</EXE>
</DATABASE>

Hopefully someone here can make sense of this. I have been unable to find any information about it myself so far.

L

Lonewolff

Your laptop is almost 17 years old and is running a legacy operating system.
There is still the elephant in the room.

If it were an iPad for example, these things are made redundant in the matter of a couple of years. I have four iPad 4's that are now destined for the scrap heap as they can't run the latest iOS.

Count yourself lucky your laptop got to the age of a legal adult before showing signs of aging.

G

GusCE6

There is still the elephant in the room.

If it were an iPad for example, these things are made redundant in the matter of a couple of years. I have four iPad 4's that are now destined for the scrap heap as they can't run the latest iOS.

Count yourself lucky your laptop got to the age of a legal adult before showing signs of aging.
Except Undertale Demo DOES run. Therefore there is a difference between the Demo and Full versions. If I can find out what it is and how it applies here, then I have something to work with.

Your reply was not at all helpful I'm afraid.

L

Lonewolff

Ah well. It happens.

Would it help you to know that the demo was written in GM8 and the final release in Studio Pro, then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undertale

Yep, I googled it ;)

So you are back to square one, with my previous 'helpful' reply.

YOUR LAPTOP IS TOO OLD :D

May not be what you are wanting to hear. But that is the fact of the matter, I am afraid.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Except Undertale Demo DOES run. Therefore there is a difference between the Demo and Full versions. If I can find out what it is and how it applies here, then I have something to work with.
Demo was made with GM8, which was the last version to use a Delphi-based runtime.
Full release was made with GameMaker: Studio.
It is hard to suggest anything other than verifying that you have a Visual C++ Runtime Redistributable installed.

If your end goal is very specifically to play Undertale, people did all sorts of things with it, including a wrapper app that let to run the game on Android devices (if you have any).

G

GusCE6

Ah well. It happens.

Would it help you to know that the demo was written in GM8 and the final release in Studio Pro, then?

That's right up there with my original post. A comparison between what GameMaker 8 requires and what GameMaker Studio requires would be helpful.

"They" also said a Sylvania Windows CE 6 netbook couldn't stream online radio, but guess what I got it to do once I understood what the problem actually was?

I need to know specifically what the problem is here so maybe I can get the game running. While it failed with Undertale, 3-D Analyze did work with the Running Sheep games (aliens and farm), which I was also told was pretty hopeless.

By the way, since Apple seems to burn their customers in so many ways- dropping Flash, deliberately making devices obsolete so quickly, that "battery-life extension" fiasco- why do people keep buying from them? It's pathetic that an old 2001 Sony can play Flash games like Mahjong Dark Dimensions or JollyJong2 online while an iPad cannot, if the ones at the Verizon store are any indication.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GusCE6

Demo was made with GM8, which was the last version to use a Delphi-based runtime.
Full release was made with GameMaker: Studio.
It is hard to suggest anything other than verifying that you have a Visual C++ Runtime Redistributable installed.

If your end goal is very specifically to play Undertale, people did all sorts of things with it, including a wrapper app that let to run the game on Android devices (if you have any).

Now THAT was a useful reply! Thank you very much!

G

GusCE6

Update:

That lengthy message I added before is an "app package signature error" message. It is highly unlikely this is the problem since there is no digital signature tab for the game with "Properties." Thanks to my brother for pointing this out to me; now I'm pretty sure it's a red herring.

The low Video RAM is also not likely the problem: when run with 3-D Analyze the game assumes a more powerful graphics card is present. At the very least the game should run for a few moments.

I am going to try and install an updated version of Runtime on the thing, since if Service Pack 3 was the most recent (I'm guessing folks) then it may be too early for Undertale. We'll see.

If anyone knows of a decent Android emulator for such a weak laptop- Bluestacks and YouWave have not worked.

rIKmAN

It's 17yrs old, can't even run Undertale and you're asking about Android Emulators?

Good luck, I admire your optimism! :D

PS. Start saving for a newer machine dude, seriously!

G

GusCE6

It's 17yrs old, can't even run Undertale and you're asking about Android Emulators?

Good luck, I admire your optimism! :D

PS. Start saving for a newer machine dude, seriously!

Well, it's not so much optimism as logic.

The Undertale Demo does run. The Full version does not. Therefore the problem is likely with the difference between whatever GameMaker 8 and GameMaker Studio require, and it may well be an incredibly easy problem to deal with.

According to Microsoft's page the Running Sheep games came out in...2014; Kongregate claims 2013- either way it's a fairly recent game. With a little help from 3-D Analyze they both run just fine on the Sony as does Mahjong Tiles In Time.

I was told the 2012 ASUS could not run World Of Tanks, but guess what- it does, perfectly. So if someone wants to play the game and then sets up a huge tower with extra graphics cards in a machine needing several fans and liquid cooling, not to mention enough wattage to power a big laundry dryer I could step in and play the same game with a 60 watt maximum ASUS laptop. Not to mention All Evil Night.

I was told the crummy Windows CE Sylvania 2006 netbook could not stream online radio...guess what I got it to do?

I have particular reasons for wanting to run this game on this Sony. It's based on the idea that "old" hardware need not be tossed out, and given that the Sony can stream Youtube nicely (thanks to the folks responsible for the VLC Player), handle the websites I go to, play online games like Cubis 2, Pet Rescue Saga, Taptiles-Tour, and more, well...

I know there is a practical upper limit with hardware. Even if I could somehow get World Of Tanks running on the Sony (assume just for a moment lower genius level at least) it wouldn't play smoothly enough to be worth the bother. But such a device was never really intended for such things, just as the netbook was only meant as a basic Internet device. But Undertale is neither All Evil Night nor World Of Tanks.

By the way, I understand that Studio allows one to translate games into "HTML5 format;" in other words, like a game website. If this is true and such a version exists, then this problem would likely be solved then and there because the Sony can handle such sites.

rIKmAN

Well, it's not so much optimism as logic.
Logic would dictate that if you can't get Undertale to run on it, then you aren't going to have much luck trying to emulate an Android device which is much more powerful than the laptop itself which has to run its native OS before even thinking about any emulation - with the specs you listed of a Pentium 3 and 256mb RAM it's highly optimistic if not impossible.

For reference - I used to get choppy / poor / bad fps Android emulation on an old crappy Core2Duo with 8GB RAM and a 512mb NVidia 9600GT.

But like I said, I admire your optimism - good luck have fun! :)

Last edited:
G

GusCE6

Logic would dictate that if you can't get Undertale to run on it, then you aren't going to have much luck trying to emulate an Android device which is much more powerful than the laptop itself which has to run its native OS before even thinking about any emulation - with the specs you listed of a Pentium 3 and 256mb RAM it's highly optimistic if not impossible.

For reference - I used to get choppy / poor / bad fps Android emulation on an old crappy Core2Duo with 8GB RAM and a 512mb NVidia 9600GT.

But like I said, I admire your optimism - good luck have fun! :)

But it's not the same thing.

You Wave does run on the Sony to a point; it's just that the actual screen never appears. So maybe you're right about that, I don't know for certain.

But the Undertale situation would be as if "You Wave 1" did fully run but not "You Wave 2." If the Demo version did not run then it would seem hopeless, but again for all I know the problem is insanely easy to solve, like those puzzle games that seem impossible but once you do find the answer you wonder how it ever gave you so much trouble ("Puzzle Puppers").

That HTML5 option intrigues me, though- can GameMaker Studio actually turn out such a version of Undertale and if it does is it out there?

The beauty of this is: if I do manage to get this game running (likely with a LOT of help from my brother, an actual professional in the field), then what else can be made to run?

rIKmAN

But it's not the same thing.

You Wave does run on the Sony to a point; it's just that the actual screen never appears. So maybe you're right about that, I don't know for certain.
I never said they were the same thing, I was answering your question about Android Emulation, not Undertale.

I'm telling you that if you ever get an Android emulator to run on that hardware (which I doubt) you will be able to go and make dinner between frames.

The devices you are trying to emulate are mostly much more powerful than your 17yr old laptop - emulation usually works the other way around because the act of emulation is inherently slower than native hardware - because it "emulates" hardware in software and requires more powerful hardware to do at any reasonable speed

If you want to emulate a low spec phone - why not just buy one for £10-£20?

A brand new 8Gb Fire tablet with a 1.3ghz quad core CPU Is £49.99 for example, so a used low spec phone would be much cheaper.

G

GusCE6

I never said they were the same thing, I was answering your question about Android Emulation, not Undertale.

I'm telling you that if you ever get an Android emulator to run on that hardware (which I doubt) you will be able to go and make dinner between frames.

The devices you are trying to emulate are mostly much more powerful than your 17yr old laptop - emulation usually works the other way around because the act of emulation is inherently slower than native hardware - because it "emulates" hardware in software and requires more powerful hardware to do at any reasonable speed

If you want to emulate a low spec phone - why not just buy one for £10-£20?

A brand new 8Gb Fire tablet with a 1.3ghz quad core CPU Is £49.99 for example, so a used low spec phone would be much cheaper.

Again, I have particular reasons for wanting to get Undertale running on this particular device.

I know about emulation- even the ASUS has to give quite a bit of effort to run You Wave. The original idea was to run Android Undertale via an emulator, but that doesn't seem to work well even on the ASUS. maybe part of the problem is that I never liked the Android setup and so never really tried hard enough.

But you never know if you don't try. The worst that can happen is it doesn't work.

Do you know anything about the HTML5 translation?

rIKmAN

Again, I have particular reasons for wanting to get Undertale running on this particular device.

I know about emulation- even the ASUS has to give quite a bit of effort to run You Wave. The original idea was to run Android Undertale via an emulator, but that doesn't seem to work well even on the ASUS. maybe part of the problem is that I never liked the Android setup and so never really tried hard enough.

But you never know if you don't try. The worst that can happen is it doesn't work.

Do you know anything about the HTML5 translation?
Are you allowed to share the reasons?
I'm intrigued, considering you could buy a better spec laptop or an actual tablet for less than £50.

No idea with Undertale I'm afraid,never played it - was it ever released as a HTML5 game?

It's possible you may get the exe running - 2 posters have already mentioned the differences between GM8 and GMS so use that as a starting point, although those specs are probably too low for the required spec for 1.4 games which I think is DX9?

Undertale HTML5 would technically be possible if the game was written and exported for that target as 1.4 has an exporter, but for that you'd need the source code or the dev to release a HTML5 version - other users may know of other options.

G

GusCE6

Are you allowed to share the reasons?
I'm intrigued, considering you could buy a better spec laptop or an actual tablet for less than £50.

No idea with Undertale I'm afraid,never played it - was it ever released as a HTML5 game?

It's possible you may get the exe running - 2 posters have already mentioned the differences between GM8 and GMS so use that as a starting point, although those specs are probably too low for the required spec for 1.4 games which I think is DX9?

Undertale HTML5 would technically be possible if the game was written and exported for that target as 1.4 has an exporter, but for that you'd need the source code or the dev to release a HTML5 version - other users may know of other options.

The reason has to do with environmentalism. If older devices can still serve and serve well, that would be a benefit to everything, and poor people wouldn't be left behind. Apple abandoning Flash and starting its campaign against Flash really turned me off to Apple completely since that was not for any technical issue but pure greed; for a used iPod I only use MusicBee.

As mentioned above, Apple devices are not meant to last long. This disturbs me; if someone even at my level of skill has managed to do as much as I have then what could an actual professional do with things like this Sony? For example, it cannot run Youtube videos normally through the browser, but thanks to the VLC Player it can. A proto-extension replaces VIDEO tags with EMBED, and the results were promising.

I read in a thread about GM8 and Studio that the latter can export games as HTML5, but I'm hoping someone here can verify that.

According to both the file in Reg Edit and the DXDIAG test it is DirectX 9. However, the graphics report for the Intel driver itself says 8. Go figure.

But I'm pretty sure the problem here is a simple one.

rIKmAN

The reason has to do with environmentalism. If older devices can still serve and serve well, that would be a benefit to everything, and poor people wouldn't be left behind. Apple abandoning Flash and starting its campaign against Flash really turned me off to Apple completely since that was not for any technical issue but pure greed; for a used iPod I only use MusicBee.

As mentioned above, Apple devices are not meant to last long. This disturbs me; if someone even at my level of skill has managed to do as much as I have then what could an actual professional do with things like this Sony? For example, it cannot run Youtube videos normally through the browser, but thanks to the VLC Player it can. A proto-extension replaces VIDEO tags with EMBED, and the results were promising.

I read in a thread about GM8 and Studio that the latter can export games as HTML5, but I'm hoping someone here can verify that.

According to both the file in Reg Edit and the DXDIAG test it is DirectX 9. However, the graphics report for the Intel driver itself says 8. Go figure.

But I'm pretty sure the problem here is a simple one.
Very honourable, but there comes a point where it's just easier to get a modern(ish) device that suits the job you want it to do - 17yrs is way past that point for me personally.

You could donate the laptop to a worthy cause like a kids charity that would be able to teach kids basic IT skills, typing, browsing etc and so still be helping the world when upgrading.

I'm not sure whether you didn't read my last post, but I confirmed that 1.4 can export to HTML5, but without the source code to Undertale or the dev making a HTML5 version then that is largely irrelevant as you have no way to convert / export it yourself.

Good luck with it anyway, I'm out.

G

GusCE6

Very honourable, but there comes a point where it's just easier to get a modern(ish) device that suits the job you want it to do - 17yrs is way past that point for me personally.

You could donate the laptop to a worthy cause like a kids charity that would be able to teach kids basic IT skills, typing, browsing etc and so still be helping the world when upgrading.

I'm not sure whether you didn't read my last post, but I confirmed that 1.4 can export to HTML5, but without the source code to Undertale or the dev making a HTML5 version then that is largely irrelevant as you have no way to convert / export it yourself.

Good luck with it anyway, I'm out.

Than for the verification- it's been a long day, so I must have missed your verification.

Let's hope for the best.

G

GusCE6

Note to Moderators: That last post WAS different because the main object was "Is it possible to convert the GameMaker 8 Demo version of Undertale to a Full version using the 'data' file the Full version uses- or in some other way?"

What I want to do, barring waiting for an HTML5 version to appear (hopefully with an outside SAVE file), is cobble together a GameMaker 8 version. The rest of it was to provide background and updates (3D-Analyze, SwiftShader 2.1, Puppy Linux Dual Operating System) for anyone unfamiliar with what was by now an old post from how long ago?

Because of the amount of time gone by, I've gotten better at this (e.g. installing Puppy Linux). Not professional, but better.

Here is the overall text from the new post, with its questions:

1. Hello, everyone.

I've been trying to get the Full version of "Undertale" running on an old Sony 2001 VAIO.

In a nutshell:

Windows XP Home Edition Sevice Pack 3 installed
    256MB RAM (maximum- I suspect this is a problem)
    800MHz processor
    Pentium 3 Intel Integrated chip. No indication SSE2 instructions are needed for the game however
    Plenty of room for the game itself
    16 or 24-bit color
    1024h x 768v resolution
    DXDIAG indicates DirectX 9.c installed, but some games claim it needs to be (e.g. "Pirates! 2K version)

I have managed to get a number of other games running, including "Plants Vs. Zombies GOTY edition," "Wizard's Curse: Deadly Spell," "Elementals: The Magic Key (but not "Mystery of Mortlake Mansion" yet)," "Deepica," and the crown jewel Gingertip's "Foxtail."

A huge help has been "SwiftShader 2.1." These added files add abilities a computer may not have and that includes problems with DirectX 8 & 9. Sadly SwiftShader 2.1 does not play nice with "Undertale" on any computer and without SSE2 ability SwiftShader 3.0 cannot be used.

However, the GameMaker 8 "Undertale: Demo" DOES work.

I have separated out the EXE file of "Undertale" Full and can see that it uses a form of "data" file for the game while the Demo version seems to be self-contained; it can play without the music files for example.

So- is there a way to get the Demo version to use what the Full version does? I just don't see how else this is going to work. It seems as if there was a way to get the Demo version to ignore what it contains (game) and use the DATA file- I know it's a long shot- maybe this can work.

DISCLAIMER: I do own the legit Steam version, AND the GOG Linux version as well. Two versions bought. Therefore this is not an attempt to steal, and let's face it- pirated versions are everywhere. I'm just trying to create a full version that will run on an antique device. Two devices, two versions purchased. This is on the level. The existing versions do not work on the Sony.

The Sony is a "Dual-Operating Device." It can be booted as either an XP system OR a Puppy Linux 5.2.5 device, emulation is not involved. In spite of having installed GLIBC 2.20 on it nothing happens with the Linux version: the command window either shows nothing at all (no error messages) or if the EXEC command is used the command window vanishes. WINE is installed so the START command can also be used, that is when the command window shows nothing. 5.2.5 Lucid is the highest version that laptop can handle.

GusCE6, May 24, 2019 Report

2. TheouAegis Member
    What does it do?

I suspect your RAM. My college PC - may it rest in peace - was 256MB and while it could run Future Cop LAPD, Rainbow Six, and emulators, it could not run Diablo 2 beyond some sound - no video. Fast forward a few years when I bought another 256MB card and I was able to finally love Diablo 2!

TheouAegis, Sunday at 6:34 AM Report
    #2 Like

3. GusCE6 Member
    That's just it- it literally does nothing in Puppy Linux mode. No error messages, nothing. That's when you just try to run the copied "Undertale" folder from the mighty ASUS. As for installation...see below please.

Trying the Windows version results in the dreaded "c000001d" error message.

The weird part about "Undertale: Full" is trying to run it through "3D-Analyze." This was an application from the early 2000s meant to help computers run games by fooling the game into thinking something it wanted was there (e.g. video cards) as well as granting certain real abilities. It has the option to disable all rendering. But- with "Undertale: Full" it has absolutely no effect, even on the ASUS itself, something that laughs at "Deltarune" as puny. It's as if 3D-Analyze simply isn't there.

Now, "Undertale: Demo" does work, hence the above, on the Sony. So whatever the difference in demands between the Demo and Full versions must be the problem- the question is, what is it?

Here is the full update:

I did buy the Linux GOG version of "Undertale" as mentioned before, and tried to install it directly- all that happens when you click that "yes you agree with the EULA terms" button is the screen goes black, the cursor turns into an immovable "sideways-H." I left it on for eleven hours in case it was a REALLY slow process- still nothing. Black screen, "sideways-H." This is with Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid.

Again, running the game from the game folder copied from the ASUS results in nothing.

A peculiar aspect about Windows "Undertale" is that an application called "3D-Analyze" has absolutely no effect on it.

"3D-Analyze" is an interesting application from the early 2000s meant to help get games running on weaker systems. It mostly accomplishes this by intercepting a game's API calls and sending back information "confirming" what it wants is there. For example, if the game demands a particular video card you can type in the appropriate codes (it uses decimal so you may have to do a bit of conversion from hexadecimal), and it would seem as though the device has that card. This was for people who couldn't play certain games on computers that were just somewhat short on requirements or because the game was fussy and demanded something specific on a computer that actually DID have enough power but not that one thing.

It could help run too-demanding games by removing certain aspects, watering them down. If lighting made the game unplayable you could deactivate it for example.

It also does grant some real abilities, the most notable being the ability to boost DirectX by one step: DirectX 8 can become DirectX 8.1, for example.

For testing purposes there are several interesting options: the ability to disable lighting, texturing...and disable all rendering among them.

So- on the ASUS, which can certainly handle "Undertale" and smiles at "Deltarune" and "World of Tanks," I ran the game through 3D-Analyze.

Nothing.

The game runs fine and that's the problem: it runs TOO perfectly. Disable Rendering, Lighting, Texturing, etc.? Nothing whatsoever. It is literally as though 3D-Analyze is not there.

This is not the case with other games. Deliberately disable rendering and no image appears anywhere, Gingertip's excellent "Foxtail" being an example (all you get is a white screen). So far it's just "Undertale."

Why is this?

I've also tried "SwiftShader 3.0." It works with "Undertale" on the ASUS; you always know because the logo is there. On the ASUS "SwiftShader 2.1" causes the game to instantly fail.

Now, normally when trying to use "SwiftShader 3.0" on the Sony you get the "SSE2 error" message because it is Pentium 3. However, with "Undertale" you DO NOT get it, which means the game is crashing before even trying to use it. The error code overall is "c000001d," which is never good.

It should be said that "Undertale Demo," which only needs DirectX 8, does work by itself on the Sony. Any attempt to use "SwiftShader 2.1" results in the game starting, slowing, and failing, gumming up the works.

This is why I'm trying to get a sort of GameMaker 8 version of "Undertale Full" running, as unlikely as that seems. I guess the key is the use of that DATA file as opposed to being self-contained, but can a GameMaker 8 game use that particular file?

If this all fails then I guess I will just have to wait and hope someone creates an HTML5 version with a SAVE file option; or an NES/SNES version an emulator can run that emulator being able to run on the Sony (probably use save codes), or a straight-out GameMaker 8 version.

(Yes, an emulated NES version won't be quite the same but it's better than nothing. An MS-DOS version isn't about to happen, sadly.)

It took some effort but I did get "Foxtail" to run on the Sony, courtesy of help from Gingertips and "SwiftShader 2.1."

The main thing, as asked a couple of years ago, is: what is different about GameMaker 8 and GameMaker Studio for Windows? I need as detailed a description as possible (leave nothing out, no matter how trivial), including anything about OpenGL, the Linux version as well as the Windows version, and any DLL files Studio may require that 8 doesn't. And why wouldn't an app like 3D-Analyze have any effect on the Full version?

Is there a Demo version of "Undertale" for Linux? If so, please post a link.

Wasn't this already a topic a few months ago? When - just like here - everyone told you that your computer was too old?

With the effort you would use to convert Undertale to a format playable by a computer literally less powerful than some watches nowadays, you could instead recycle your laptop, buy a significantly more power-efficient modern one, and do more for the environment than continuing to use a laptop that is older than a significant portion than the people on this forum. Alternatively, you could ask to borrow the laptop of someone you know, or straight-up ask if they have any old and outdated tablets or phones they're looking to get rid of.

Have you tried asking this question in more Undertale-related communities, such as the Undertale subreddit? The people there would likely be much more familiar with the inner workings of Undertale than those here.

G

GusCE6

Wasn't this already a topic a few months ago? When - just like here - everyone told you that your computer was too old?

With the effort you would use to convert Undertale to a format playable by a computer literally less powerful than some watches nowadays, you could instead recycle your laptop, buy a significantly more power-efficient modern one, and do more for the environment than continuing to use a laptop that is older than a significant portion than the people on this forum. Alternatively, you could ask to borrow the laptop of someone you know, or straight-up ask if they have any old and outdated tablets or phones they're looking to get rid of.

Have you tried asking this question in more Undertale-related communities, such as the Undertale subreddit? The people there would likely be much more familiar with the inner workings of Undertale than those here.

"Undertale" is just one of three games I really would like to get running on that thing. I do have a 2012 ASUS notebook my brother sent that can match many a laptop and laughs at "Deltarune" and "World of Tanks." So playing "Undertale" is not a problem.

"Foxtail" by Gingertips was THE #1 game I wanted to get running. Thanks to a replacement "FreeImage.dll" file, a file directing the game to use Direct3D, and "SwiftShader 2.1" it runs nicely on that Sony. The other game is "Mystery of Mortlake Mansion" which almost works but not quite; its sister game, "Elementals: The Magic Key," does work- courtesy again of "SwiftShader 2.1."

Thanks to a dual installation of Puppy Linux that ancient laptop is again a viable and safe online device, in fact it has superior abilities to when it came out in 2001- better range and stability with wifi as well as the ability to use WPA-2 secure networks. It can even view Youtube and other video sites, online radio, pretty much everything I normally do online ("Pet Rescue Saga" is still a problem, stupid ad-script...).

Old electronics end up in Third-World landfills. That Sony's power demands are also a good deal less than many a gaming machine. Those two games are the ones that I want to get working- pretty much everything else one can reasonably expect from it has been covered, I do NOT expect "Seasons After Fall" to ever really work on it.. For all I know the "Undertale" problem could be as simple as was the problem with "Foxtail."

But the main question here is this: using that data file where the game contents are obviously stored (I believe it's called "data.win?") is it possible to either convert the GMS version to a GM8 version; to alter the GM8 version so it becomes the Full version using that file, or to make a GM8 version that uses it? An HTML5 version would work, especially if it had an outside SAVE file (so clearing the browser wouldn't be a problem); if someone created an NES version that would work on an emulator that might be an option although it would be different- but hey, what can you do?

My skills may be enough that if I get the basic information I can pull it off. Maybe. What I would need for starters is a DETAILED list of differences between GM8 and GMS requirements, with NOTHING left out- no matter how trivial. With "Foxtail" it was replacing the "FreeImage.dll" v3.17 with v3.15 that made it work.

I've tried asking on Steam- that went nowhere fast. I'll give your suggestion about Reddit a try when I get the chance. If it helps- thanks in advance!

rIKmAN

What I would need for starters is a DETAILED list of differences between GM8 and GMS requirements, with NOTHING left out- no matter how trivial. With "Foxtail" it was replacing the "FreeImage.dll" v3.17 with v3.15 that made it work.
You've been told this before in your previous threads on this same issue (along with what other users know about the differences), but your best chance of getting detailed info like you are requesting would be to contact YYG Support. They created the engine(s).

Also, I'd be very careful about asking how to decompile the data.win file of a commercial game as that is in violation of the EULA which can be found here: https://www.yoyogames.com/legal/eula

Specifically Section 6 (ii):
6. PROHIBITED ACTIONS
You must follow the below rules regarding all YYG Property, Customer Content and Publisher Property:
  • (ii) Do not copy, modify, merge, distribute, translate, rent, lend, lease, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or create derivative works of: (i) Publisher Property (unless specifically agreed otherwise with the relevant Publisher); or (ii) the YYG Property.

But the main question here is this: using that data file where the game contents are obviously stored (I believe it's called "data.win?") is it possible to either convert the GMS version to a GM8 version; to alter the GM8 version so it becomes the Full version using that file, or to make a GM8 version that uses it? An HTML5 version would work, especially if it had an outside SAVE file (so clearing the browser wouldn't be a problem); if someone created an NES version that would work on an emulator that might be an option although it would be different- but hey, what can you do?

My skills may be enough that if I get the basic information I can pull it off. Maybe. What i would need for starters is a DETAILED list of differences between GM8 and GMS requirements, with NOTHING left out- no matter how trivial. With "Foxtail" it was replacing the "FreeImage.dll" v3.17 with v3.15 that made it work.
Most of what you're asking here is beyond the realm of possibility. The things that are possible are either illegal, violate the GMS EULA (and thus, this forum's rules) or are beyond your skill level. The mere fact that you're talking about an "NES version" being made as if it's even feasible shows how little you understand about the effort it would require.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Sorry, but I'm not happy with the topic of discussion here as it borders on the illegal and would undoubtedly require you to violate at least one (possibly more) EULA or ToS. As such I'm closing the topic and would request that you refrain from posting further topics on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.