• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX [SOLVED] Game reports as being damaged after being downloaded from storefront

B

Beechbone

Hey,

I have a problem with distributing my game outside of Mac App store. I imported my project to GMS2 and compiled it with a slight update, which fixed a bug that I had in the macOS version of the game. I'm distributing my game via itch.io and now after the file is downloaded and executed there is a system error displayed "this application is damaged and should be moved to the trash".

Additional things to note. The file I'm uploading to itch.io is around 8MB, but the downloaded file from itch.io is around 21MB on the Mac.It's also no longer a .zip file, but an application.
However, if the game is installed via itch.io desktop app instead of just download from the web, it works just fine.
I'm pretty sure this is not GMS2-specific issue, as the same happens with a game compiled in GMS 1.4. And it was working when I first published the game like a year ago.

I don't know where the issue lies. Can this be something with codesigning or some change in how downloaded files are handled in the OS? This seems like a Mac issue, and not necessarily itch.io issue, or maybe not stricly GameMaker, since the game works. Anybody has any advice?

I'm running macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

The game's page is https://beechbone.itch.io/elevate

Thanks,

Could be the quarantine attribute being set by Mac OS.

This command run from Terminal from the folder where the file is will reset it:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine [Your App Name].app/ (clears extended attributes)

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?posts/209490/

It's related to the extended attributes which can cause it to be quarantined:

blomelan$ ls -l
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 blomelan 101 102 Aug 30 22:20 Dungeon-1.app (no game error)
drwxr-xr-x 3 blomelan 101 102 Aug 30 22:20 Dungeon.app (works)

blomelan$ xattr -l *
Dungeon-1.app: com.apple.quarantine: 00e2;00000000;The\x20Unarchiver;

blomelan$ xattr -d com.apple.quarantine Dungeon-1.app/ (clears extended attributes)