Windows Froghosts | Trailer + Release | Old Style Shooter

N

newtinn

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/xrxwXn7

Welcome to the Froghosts page!

Froghosts is a old style shooter where you are set as a frog like character trying to escape a house you got stuck in. To get out of the house you need to destroy spawners making enemies and defeat bosses to get out the house.
Download it here on 25th October: https://newtinn.itch.io/froghosts

I've just released the game! If you want to know new changes/additions to the game you can join the Discord and know new features before everyone else.

Enjoying the game? Join our discord:
https://discord.gg/xrxwXn7

Features in the game:
  • Many enemies
  • Random room generation
  • Portal to go room to room
  • 3 Bosses
  • 5 Selectable Characters

Screenshots:

Last edited:
F

FROGANUS

yo! played 0.7 a few times, defeated the tie guy, but didn't get past the next room.
i like the frog character and the simple retro colors and look is pretty nice. the level gen seems to work well.

with the gameplay however, found some frustrations. most noticeably, the player's mobility seems limited. frog moves slower than enemies, and when you walk diagonally into a wall you stick to it rather than brush sideways, which would be much nicer especially when the levels tend to have narrow gaps to run between. i found myself not moving around to engage the enemy, but just finding one spot to stand and hope they don't catch up with my firing rate. (oh yeah, also the firing rate seemed strange). i always recommend for shooters that if you hold fire it shoots automatically, at least at a moderate rate. i don't think a game should necesarily require furious buttons/clicking (tho its debatable)..

the way the monsters spawn by just immediately popping up is kinda annoying too. i'd recommend a few frames of glowing or something to indicate that they are teleporting in or emerging from their pod or whatever.. some little indications like that throughout could help. (for instance also enemy death animations, bullet shot and hit animations, etc)..

so yeah just some random ideas for what it's worth, keep up the good work my friend!

B

Blackened

Froghosts is a NES style twin stick shooter
I fail to see the "NES Style" in this at all.

My preference would be to have elements such as score in the field of play and in real time. The current setup does nothing for me if I cannot see the points I am racking up.

N

newtinn

yo! played 0.7 a few times, defeated the tie guy, but didn't get past the next room.
i like the frog character and the simple retro colors and look is pretty nice. the level gen seems to work well.

with the gameplay however, found some frustrations. most noticeably, the player's mobility seems limited. frog moves slower than enemies, and when you walk diagonally into a wall you stick to it rather than brush sideways, which would be much nicer especially when the levels tend to have narrow gaps to run between. i found myself not moving around to engage the enemy, but just finding one spot to stand and hope they don't catch up with my firing rate. (oh yeah, also the firing rate seemed strange). i always recommend for shooters that if you hold fire it shoots automatically, at least at a moderate rate. i don't think a game should necesarily require furious buttons/clicking (tho its debatable)..

the way the monsters spawn by just immediately popping up is kinda annoying too. i'd recommend a few frames of glowing or something to indicate that they are teleporting in or emerging from their pod or whatever.. some little indications like that throughout could help. (for instance also enemy death animations, bullet shot and hit animations, etc)..

so yeah just some random ideas for what it's worth, keep up the good work my friend!
Thanks for the comment! I can see why this would annoy you, I was trying to see the problems in the game. Now I can see some problems I need to solve!

N

newtinn

I fail to see the "NES Style" in this at all.

My preference would be to have elements such as score in the field of play and in real time. The current setup does nothing for me if I cannot see the points I am racking up.
I can get why you can't see the NES style, BUT CLEARLY the score is shown in the top left by the health.

L

Lonewolff

Nice effort.

Only thing I noticed was the diagonals are off. The player moves faster diagonally than it does on the X and Y.

You need to multiply movement by 0.707 if both a vertical and horizontal key are pressed at the same time. This will make diagonal movement correct. :)

[Theory behind this]
speed_modifier = sin(45) * speed
sin(45) = 0.707

Might as well just multiply the diagonal movement by 0.707 rather than have a trig calculation each frame.

N

newtinn

Nice effort.

Only thing I noticed was the diagonals are off. The player moves faster diagonally than it does on the X and Y.

You need to multiply movement by 0.707 if both a vertical and horizontal key are pressed at the same time. This will make diagonal movement correct. :)

[Theory behind this]
sin(45) = 0.707

Might as well just multiply the diagonal movement by 0.707 rather than have a trig calculation each frame.
Solved it! Thanks :)

N

newtinn

Update 0.9 has been released!
Look at the top for the new features and maybe download it.
Enjoy the update.

N

newtinn

0.9.1 Update has been released, go to the top to see the updates!

Joe Ellis

Nice effort.

[Theory behind this]
sin(45) = 0.707

Yeah that's like normalizing the movement so it's the same speed diagonally, same as if you measure the width of a square from 2 diagonal corners, its 0.707 more than each side.
I like the look of this game, and the mouse rotating round is an extra thing that old games wouldn't have had, but I think it does look abit too basic somehow, the style is good but I feel like there should be something more to "oomph" it.

N

newtinn

Yeah that's like normalizing the movement so it's the same speed diagonally, same as if you measure the width of a square from 2 diagonal corners, its 0.707 more than each side.
I like the look of this game, and the mouse rotating round is an extra thing that old games wouldn't have had, but I think it does look abit too basic somehow, the style is good but I feel like there should be something more to "oomph" it.
Thanks! I would sorta agree with you on the last part, I might add more. I just don't know what at the moment, when I'm bored I'll probably do that xd
Well thanks and have a good day!