• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Objects not appearing while testing game (DEPTH ISSUE?)

Vinsane

Hi there,

I've been toying around with the android side of Game Maker but I've ran into an issue while testing the build of my game.

It seems that certain objects refuse to load correctly, it's almost like there is a depth problem or something.
I've noticed that if I perform a cache cleanout it fixes a random objects depth but the others still fail to load up.

I have a balloon for instance that will blink intermittently and a counter that does not even appear.

Is androids depth system different to the Windows depth system. I was using depth -= but even using the rooms default depth does not fix the issue.

I'm putting the depth -= in the create code should it be going somewhere else?

Can someone please assist me because at the moment I can't make anything.

Sincerely,
Vince

Last edited:

gnysek

why -= ? also, depth isn't working same as in GMS2, maybe you should rather check Dungeon demo to see how to properly draw games with this perspective.

Vinsane

why -= ? also, depth isn't working same as in GMS2, maybe you should rather check Dungeon demo to see how to properly draw games with this perspective.
I remember reading some guides about depth and I did see -= be advised when setting manual depth in GMS2 of each object.

It would go:
OBJ_1
CREATE:
Depth -= 1

OBJ_2
CREATE:
Depth -= 2

This would cause OBJ_1 to go behind OBJ_2.

I guess maybe certain expressions will not work on Android as they do on Windows?

I might just have to read up on some YouTube tutorials perhaps explaining depth, especially if you are hinting that the depth system does not change between Android/Windows.

If you or anyone would have any advice for depth on android that would be fantastic :)

Last edited:

gnysek

I think you want

Depth = -1
Depth = -2

Also, if you have layer system, just put instances on proer layers and you don't need to use depth at all.