Discussion What would you do if game maker never existed?

F

Falconsoft-Industries

Well, I would look for something else, not discussing tools or names of tools, or I would probably be a bus boy in a restraunt. What would you do? If game maker never existed?

F

frog

Before it existed I was using Visual Basic, and for the past few years I have been working with Unity. The hard part is always developing out your game, adding content and answering that "what's next". Tool limitations are just a hindrance to the undetermined.

F

Falconsoft-Industries

Yeah but I am saying if it had never existed and Mark Overmars never made game maker 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6.0 or 6.1 or 8.0 or partnerd with Sandy Duncan and formed YoYoGames and created studio 1 and 2. What if none of those things happened?

I'd either be working for Oracle or a Canadian bank. That was the original plan for me until I started getting too serious with my FPS.

F

frog

Yeah but I am saying if it had never existed and Mark Overmars never made game maker 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6.0 or 6.1 or 8.0 or partnerd with Sandy Duncan and formed YoYoGames and created studio 1 and 2. What if none of those things happened?
Ah, I see. Let's explore further.

GameMaker is so crucial to the amateur game development scene that if it did not exist, it would have been immediately necessary to create it. In fact, despite GM's existence there are still hundreds of other development kits and applications out there. What I'm saying is that the demand is so great, it could not have been possible for nobody to build it, or something similar to it. And when you really want to break your brain, try to figure out what the next big thing is going to be.

Gamebot

VBA Applications (The guy that used to create solutions for individuals and businesses using mostly excel). Though it's been so long now looking at it would give me a headache.

F

Falconsoft-Industries

But melerski asked what I would choose for people and myself I simply answered his question.

L

Lonewolff

But melerski asked what I would choose for people and myself I simply answered his question.
Oh, ok.

Glad that you have had vast success with GameMaker then and have not had to resort to being a 'bus boy' due to it have never existed.

I look forward to sharing great wealth by using GameMaker also, once I get better at making games.

F

Falconsoft-Industries

Then I guess if game maker never existed it would be a very sad life for a lot of us.

L

Lonewolff

But I'm not an industry success yet. So it wouldn't have affected me as much as it would you.

F

Falconsoft-Industries

Believe it or not I am just a one man company trying to make a profit to start a small company to get in the industry

F

Falconsoft-Industries

Not for me, it’s the only job I can get as my brother burned my work experience log book with a flame and I never graduated high school as I decided to stay to year 13 when I was 18 years old and my life was getting worst as school would bully me and even my family would bully me so I dropped out halfway through year 13 and moved to a group home
But when I turned 21 my relationship with my family got better and I am 26 now and living with a step brother and step sister and their mum and dad who run the group home and it is just the four of us and a dog other than that I cannot complain life goes on and I have Foxtel and a MacBook Air pro and a pc and a Xbox and PlayStation 4 and PlayStation vita and iPad and tv so I guess I am kind of lucky despite all the bad things like not graduating and getting a job because now I am a indie developer

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lonewolff

But GameMaker made you the success you are today. So it worked out in the end. Imagine where you would have been without GameMaker.

Coded Games

I really don't know. At the time when I was first learning to make games I looked at quite a few choices before liking GameMaker the most. Scratch, Sploder, Flash, RPG Maker, all of these I really didn't like. I really don't recall any other engines that were out around that time. So if GameMaker never existed I probably would not have gotten into game design at all so I wouldn't have started my company, wouldn't have chose to pursue computer science, everything would probably be very different.

There are a lot of game creation tools available out there for both 2D and 3D games, both for the absolute beginner to the most advanced game developer. These range from no programming required, to scripting, to full-on programming in a variety of languages, to any combination of the two (including drag-n-drop, like GameMaker Studio). These also range from absolutely free and open source to having to pay large sums of money to license.

If GameMaker had never existed, then there would still be a myriad of other game makers out there to chose from. And, in all likelihood, if GameMaker had never existed, then someone would most likely have created something similar. There are already a few that are somewhat similar, though not quite the same.

If GameMaker had never existed, it would not be the end of the world for any of us for we would never have known about it at all. We would have made whatever decisions we would have made based on what actually was out there to use. Perhaps one day we can visit a parallel dimension where GameMaker never did exist to see how it affected our decisions. :p

G

Guest User

well, id probably be a lot better at art and further along in my novel that's for sure. :oops:

Z

zendraw

some1 wuld have created a similar noob friendly game making tool. dont think that if guy A didnt start a project, no1 else wuld have started the same or similar projects. in life, if theres a hole, somthing will fall into it, eventually. and the hole for independant game making has been made.

I used RPG Maker a long time and Flash before that. Chances are I would have made a Source Engine game. Its just the devil I know.