The Fourth GMC Time Machine

Mercerenies

The Fourth GMC Time Machine

The deadline for the Third GMC Time Machine passed while the GMC was in purgatory, so this topic is going to suffice for both.

For those of you who were on the GMC last year:

The Third GMC Time Machine has been dug up! It's available here. Feel free to comment on what you posted then and how you've changed since.

For those who are new:

This is the GMC Time Machine. It's sort of a time capsule for GMC members. You can post all sorts of things about yourself in a letter to your future self. After a week or so, I'll "bury" this topic and we'll all forget about it. Around the same time next year, I'll dig it back up and we can all look back and the kind of people we were and reflect.

Things people commonly post:
* Facts, statistics, and information about your life right now
* Goals, aspirations, and ambitions
* Pictures or memes that are popular right now
* Anything else you want your future self to see
As always, use common sense. The usual forum rules apply, and don't post anything too private; this is a public forum, after all.

Topic creation date: June 20, 2016
Topic burial date: June 28, 2016
Topic resurrection date: June 28th, 2017

The time machine has been dug up.

Last edited:

2Create

Oh hey, it's this thing again.

Well, future me, did you finish the thing? You know what I'm talking about, aren't you?
Please have finished it. It'd be a nice surprise.

S

Snail Man

Last year's
Hows things?

Are you still running Wizard Battle?
[CURRENT PLAYERS]
XDean Zarwart (Mercerenies & Lukasmah)
Inspector John Tandrex Bucketface (Roytheshort)
Darse & Jet (Rougebare)
TheUltimate (TheUltimate)
Doctor & Lord Benfeild (Stormforce02)
Gregory Oshibka (Kepons)

Nope, I ended it in mid-September before I went off to college. Probably a good move in hindsight, but I do miss it.

STATS
Rep: 1,840
Profile views: 38,235
Jam Wins: 1
Jam Top 3s: 3
Last Jam Game: The World Has Gone M.A.D with TheUltimate and help from Parodyknavebob

...Good for you?

Questions
Hows things?
K
If you could tell me one thing, what would it be?
Lighten up
This post is formatted flawlessly?
Uh, maybe?

Things for future self:
The new GMC opened today.

STATS
"Likes": 13
Profile Views: I don't know how to check on this fancy new forum
Jam Wins: 1
Jam Top 3s: 3
Last Jam Game: Doughnut Factory with RekNepZ (Last jam was skipped due to no GMC existing at the time)

TO-DO LIST
-Finish that racing game
-Do that stuff
-Don't get caught by the feds
-Write 2,600 songs
-???
-Profit!

QUESTIONS
How did your summer plans go? If you don't know what I mean, then I take it not well.
How was fall? Did you decide to tutor, or just give yourself a rest for once in your life?
Do you still have all the same friends that you do now? What about new ones?
If you could tell me one thing, what would it be? Be more specific than I was to my last year self, you jerk!

H

Hiznopellagio

Oh future self, how's college? You should be studying CS now, unless you got involved my some drug dealing crime. That'd be bad, no. Are you holding your head in frustration right now? I heard that college can be quite.. Repressing. Really hope you're okay! Our college should have a swimming pool in it, and some gyms nearby, so work out a lot, please. College maybe hard, but don't make it harder by staying hella slender and pathetic.

And ah, I'm still working on Isleward at the moment. Has it reached Beta now? Do we have 9000 PLAYERZ in the game? Player skins? Items? I'm still jobless, waiting for college to start. Are you still dating with her? We're on a fight at the moment, so I really hope you've prepared a damn proposal for her now.

I still suck at proportion and anatomy, by the way. Can do a little animating stuff, but that's about it. Arms and legs, especially hands.. Oh God, hands.. They're frustratingly hard to draw! Hope you nailed them all down by now. And oh oh, don't you dare forget about the damn webcomic reboot. I've procrastinated so long, and I better not prolong it for a year more. You have ALL the tools you need now, why wait?

How's family, man? Parents are now on a solemn state, preparing to let their second children go for the wild ride of adulthood. Little sister is still jumpy as ever, and still watching those good-for-nothing TV shows. Big sis, she's still in China, haven't heard much from her, but she's been eating well. Too well, in fact. How about *shudders* friends? Still in contact with high school peeps, did make MUCH more in college? You better!

How's your eyes? Still have a half-functioning right eye? Are you wearing your glasses properly, and *gasp* you're not wearing contacts, are you? Please don't. They're horrible.

Are you still making games? Still participating in GMC Jams, with Alice and Merc? Only thing I can be proud at the moment is that Inlocked game, and I'm not happy about it. That Godot engine looks pretty good, though it's still rather basic right now, and no Spriter API yet. And hey, you should be able to program bug-less stuff! Make some MMOs will ya!

N

Nexusrex

Hello, future self! How is it going?
Do you still like undertale? xD
Also, you've got any new friends? Or you are still lonely..xD
Oh, i've forgot..How is game dev with you?
Again, do you have any girl friends? xD
Did you learn anything about music? Or you are still bad at music.
And, how are jams..Won any jam? lol

See you later..Future Nex!

Last edited:

Kepons

Lost The Bet
To future me:
You better have finished some games by the time the next time machine comes or I'll kill you

Also, shamelessly stealing Hiz's idea because it's nice.

Ninety

DO NOT open until June 2017!

Well, it's that time of year again. I won't open with a stupid time travel joke like I did last time. Remember that? Ooh, I can feel your cringe from here.
I wonder if my Time Machine letters, five years from now, will still be carrying on about a dumb joke I made once.

How are things? How's uni life? Still got friends?

Are you still hanging out with the UC group? (You know, from first semester?) What about the people from EMA? Have you talked to any of your school friends lately?
A few of them. None of them. Occasionally.

Are you enjoying this interrogation?
Yes, thank you mum.

Go send a couple of your high school friends a message on Facebook or something. Organise a get together.
I'm going to one this Saturday.

Do you have a girlfriend? If so, congratulations. If not, oh well.

Are you fit? You'd better be. And eating better, and at a decent weight.
Yes I'm definitely all those things mm-hmm 100%.

And if you haven't got a job already... get a job. Like now. Go send someone a resume.
Oh I have a job, I just don't like it.

Are you still sort-of depressed? Go talk to your family. Do some pushups. Meet up with friends.
Thanks, Dr. Phil.

As for me - I started my midyear break a couple of weeks ago. Hanging out with UC friends all the time. Trying to get my Ps. (If you haven't got them already... wtf are you doing.) Thinking I should probably get a job.
Wow you're like the most boring person ever.

I'm currently working on the soundtrack for Homestead (only got 2 tracks left! Probably!).
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

How did the release go? Did people like it?
Yeah let me get back to you in like 18 months.

Have you done more music requests/made more music? If not, why not? How's your pixelart going, by the way? Made anything cool? This is the last thing I posted here. Trees are stupid.
Pixelart and music both going well. You're going to be doing a lot of both in the next year.

Is GMComicified still going? If not, go post something.
NOT YOU TOO

I wonder if you even still browse the GMC.
Not for the last six months, weirdly.

Did you end up releasing The Great Escape? Did people like it? BTW, if you haven't already changed your username, go change your username. Now.
I had an old username?

Here's hoping you'll have improved more between now and then than I did between now and a year ago.
Er... not really.

Until next year,
Past StewartB My name is Ninety.

EDIT: 17/6 addendum: I forgot to ask how your music making is going. Also, have you released (another) game yet? Also, how's your dream journal going? Look back over my last few weeks... There's some weird stuff in there.
Don't worry, the content of my dream journal now is much the same as the content of my dream journal then... [lonely sobbing]

Anyway, bye for real this time.

Been listening to a lot of Mini Mansions and Lo-Fang lately. Also Lurch and Chief and some ambient stuff like Tycho or Mogwai. Favourite bands, other than those, in no particular order: Arctic Monkeys (though less than a while ago), Cage the Elephant, The Dissociatives (still the best album ever), maybe Phoenix, maybe Bombay Bicycle Club. Favourite songs at the moment: Ordinary Man by Mini Mansions, Permutations and When We're Fire by Lo-Fang, Halo by CTE, The Arrow by Josh Garrels, I Don't Remember by Powderfinger, Overdone by BBC, Ankle Injuries by Fujiya & Miyagi.
You're listening to what would be my "Old Favourites" playlist now.

Go check devlogs.rtf in the Dropbox. Frontiers should be out by now. So should Heat Signature.
Frontiers? Out? I'll be lucky if my grandchildren see Frontiers.

Hello, future Ninety. How are things? As usual, I will be writing a letter that's way too long, which reveals way too much personal information.

I've just finished my third semester of uni. It was a really terrible semester, to be honest. Four days uni, two days work, shorter semester but just as much stuff to do, and I stopped hearing from a few friends almost entirely. Kind of sucks when people disappear because of timetables and such. Have you felt that much in the last year? Do you still hang out with J/A/M mostly at uni? And, um, how are things with you and E? Right now we've stopped talking, she kind of stopped replying over text. We did run into each other in a lecture once, early in the semester, but since then, radio silence. Please tell me you're over her, at least.

Are you fit? Eating healthily? I'm not. Got a girlfriend, or a different crush? I tried in that department, but it didn't go so well. How's your mental health? Mine's okay, been better but it's good to be on break. Definitely better, overall, then this time last year, I think. Better than it was a month or so ago. But it's up and down, y'know?

At home, sister just came back from Seoul a few weeks back. Dad's thinking of moving jobs, maybe doing a cycling trip. Had a birthday party a few months back... Didn't go so great. Work is work. I'm very slowly learning the ropes, trying to memorise all the stuff I need to know, walking on eggshells around my bosses. Are you still at the same job? If so, how's it going?

Homestead is my major project right now. I estimate I'm about halfway through the art, but I'll probably end up redoing most of it. (Please tell me you've finished by June 2017...) I'm also going to expand the soundtrack to be much bigger, and I'm getting involved with design and story stuff. Hopefully it goes well. Do you have a loyal following yet? You need a loyal following. Done any other gamedev stuff? Or other music/pixelart stuff? Do a Pixel Dailies. For me. Get to work on that album or Instagram page. Have you taken up photography yet? Scored any uni films? Showed your music to anyone IRL?

And, of course, the new GMC went up today. What's it like, one year from now? Are you a regular again, or are you more in the background? I'd be interested to know whether you're still anonymous on the internet. (Right now only Lukan's seen my real face, and he's... weird about it.)

Current things I'm into:
  • Posting random pixelart on Twitter. My most recent pieces are this DHMIS fan art, this Homestead mockup and this tileset thing.
  • I play 2-3 in-game days of Stardew Valley most days. It's an addictive little game. I'm at 13th of Fall, Year 1, with 10,774g, under "Julian".
  • Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared 6 was released yesterday. Confusing as all hell, but lots of fun. Have the creators made anything new?
  • Messing around with Logic, like usual. Thinking about investing in NI Massive.
  • Been listening to a lot of Sufjan Stevens lately. Radiohead's latest album is also alright. Current favourite songs are Seventeen by Sjowgren, One of Us by Dan Croll, Burn the Witch by Radiohead, I Am The Antichrist To You by Kishi Bashi, maybe Kanye by Bogan Via, Five Minutes by Her, and of course Blue Bucket of Gold (Remix) by Sufjan Stevens. How's my music taste changed?
  • Last movie I watched was John Wick, earlier today. (With pizza!)

Well, that's all from me. See you round, future Ninety.
- Current Ninety xoxo

On the new GMC I have 3 posts, 6 likes, 1 status update, and 9 followers. EDIT: 8 likes, thanks RekNepZ.
Twitter:

I'm inactive on Ask.fm now, but apparently I was very busy in the interim (thanks Insert Name Here for all the spam): 299 answers, up from 59 last year. 8 likes compared to 1, 6 followers from 3.
Logic folder is 1.96GB, up from 1.07 in the last time machine.
GPA is like 3.0 or something. Haven't got most marks back for Autumn.
BMI is like 16.1 apparently. Jeepers.
My favourite picture on the internet is

Last edited:
A

amusudan

Future me, stop wasting time on video games please...

Who am I kidding you (I) will do it anyways.

G

GVmG

Hi GV. How are you doing?
I'm doing OK.

I know I didn't like that last time, I started the time message with a Sardinian word and it made me feel weird, so this time I'll just talk straight in English. Except for a later question, but you'll see it later.
Ok.

So, how has life been? Did you get a girlfriend complete any good game? Did you get a girlfriend become famous? Did you get a girlfriend leave the GMC? Did you get a girlfriend over 120 followerd on twitter? Are you still single agoraphobic?
I didn't complete any good game, nor am I famous, but I did leave the GMC in the last two or three months before it was closed due to external forces. I now have 200+ followers on twitter and I'm still a bit agoraphobic. I got some online dates but it didn't really go anywhere. But I did get friendzoned twice, which I guess is something.

Okay, jokes apart, seriously: did you get a girlfriend yet? As of now, I am 18 (you should be 19 if there was no weird time-space continuum problem) and never had one. If yes, is she that girl? You know the one, remember the fake mmorpg menu and the other stuff that was in the same folder.
What the 💩💩💩💩 are you talking about, fake mmo? Time to dig up the old usb pendrive... Okay, I couldn't really find a 100% sure trace of what girl you're talking about but if it's the one I'm thinking, then no, she barely knows I exist lol

Did you end up repeating last year in school? That damn Commercial Economy subject sucks. If you actually got to the fifth year, are you ready for the exams? Because I was an facebook a few moments ago, and this year Battista and a few more are already saying it sucks.
I did pass the year and somehow I even managed to get to the exams (the first one is tomorrow D: ) and I think I'm kinda ready.

Did you get a new computer? Did you watch the new DragonBall series that still hasn't come out as of now? And what about the next Sword Art Online series, did they come out? Were they good? Did you watch any other good anime?
No new computer, but I did get a crazy amount of good gear (mechanical rgb keyboard and a graphic tablet). Didn't watch Dragonball Super, and there's no new SAO series yet (thank God). Also how on earth did you enjoy SAO, it's 90% fanservice... I did watch a bunch of good anime though.

I'm charging this with questions, and I don't really know what to ask. Did you finally get a decent beard on your cheeks? For now, it's just a weird fur, and last year I had none other than mustaches and a semi-visible goatee thingy.
Yes now I have a full beard but trust me, if you knew how annoying it is back in the day, you would have avoided it at all cost.

Oh, and that comic you were working on, WINGverse, did you do something with it or did it crash like 99.999% of all my/your projects? Like for example Final Storm the scrolling shooter set in my/your universe, that is currently suspended until I stop procrastinating.
It's over m8, everything is kill. Nothing we ever do will be finished.

One more thing I want to ask is if you did get that driving license. I mean, hopefully I will get it in two or three months, probably less, IF I get it. So, can you legally drive in your present aka my future?
Nope. Got an awful test manager TWICE, and she friggin rekt my exams.

And of course, the GMC-related questions... Did you reach 1000 reputation points or 2000 posts? Did you change member title (I have "The Great Cornholio")? Do you remember your/my macaroni=42=infinity theory? Did we succeed in making the oceans cappuccino? Are you still a potato? Did you finally watch steins;gate like other users told you to?
There is no reputation on the new GMC. No user titles either (afaik). I do remember my macaroni theory (and it's still in development, believe it or not). The oceans are still water, unfortunately, but soon we will fix that. I can't set my gender in this forum. I did watch Steins;Gate and tbh, it was good yes, but it would have been much better and more enjoyable if I hadn't seen Madoka Magica first (so I kind of half-expected the plot twist in S;G).

And yeah, social networks... Is FaceBook still a thing? I have a feeling it's going to fail soon. I just got an ask.fm account, you'll find some statistics later. Same for Twitter.
Facebook is still kinda active but I do agree that it's slowly dying. Twitter changed a few things, for example we don't have favourites but theyr eplaced them with Likes (facebook much).

Finally, the last English question: What music do you listen to? I recently moved from dubstep to more generic electronic, with Happy Hardcore and Kawaiicore up to 11. Mainly, I listen to nanobii, s3rl, omfg and a few more random artists.
I listen to more or less every genre I can find because let's be honest, we never hated any genre. What I listen to mostly is anime openings and stuff like Camellia, Helblinde, and Asterisk. And that is because of osu!, the rhythm game. Also DragonForce, still because of osu!.

That said, I don't have much else to ask, other than the question in another language. NOTE: I don't know if this is correct, because I'm using Google Translate. But if I/you end up understanding it, maybe you can correct me!
Bring it on.

あなたは日本を理解していますか?
What. [translates] Oh. No I don't.

(STATISTICS)
<GMC>
Profile Views: 10511 -> 16076

<Twitter>
Tweets: 8320 -> 14097 (hori kokonutto that escalated quickly)
Following: 86 -> 166
Followers: 112 -> 200
Name: The Great GVholio -> GV
Sticky tweet: https://twitter.com/...502434672484353 -> pokémon trump jokes
Latest tweet: https://twitter.com/...748614240845824 -> y'all need more twitch streams

<Ask.fm>
Answers: 30 -> 730 (sweet God)
Gifts: 0 -> still 0
Followers: 1 -> 13
Latest answer: http://ask.fm/GVyeah...er/130205963915 -> agoraphobia strikes again

<My blog>
Address: http://gvmakesgames.wordpress.com/ -> I don't use the blog anymore, I mainly use twitter.
Views this month: 625 (because the GMC spammed like 620 of those)
Views last month: 99
Views in total: 3320
Visitors in total: 1031

If you wasted all this time actually rechecking the statistics, good for you. I had nothing to do anyway.

I'll add the questions for next year in a sec.

EDIT: done.

Hi there future GV. I don't really know what to say right now, other than the fatc that I did not cringe at the messages from last year at all. And I am disappointed because of that.

So, how's life been? Did you pass the exams? Did you finally get a girlfriend? Did you succeed in making the oceans cappuccino? Did you move to another place/country/whatever or are you still in that 25-inhabitants hellhole with 1.5mb/s connection?

I'll put some statistics later because why not. You better check them you baka.

Oh, regarding that: did you finally learn Japanese? If you did, what does this mean? おれわおちんちんがだいすきなんだよ

And regarding that, do you remember who says that? Does he still make videos? Do you still watch them?

Also Hizno wants an Indonesian line too: Aku perawan menyedihkan

Oh btw are you still chatting with him?

What about youtube, who do you watch? Right now I'm mainly watching osu!-related channels and Lost Pause, and some science stuff. And sometimes Vinesauce streams or WitWix.

Anyway, I don't think I have much more to ask now, so have some statistics:
<GMC>
Followers: 9

<Twitter>
Tweets: 14097
Following: 166
Followers: 200
Name: GV
Sticky tweet: pokémon trump jokes
Latest tweet: y'all need more twitch streams

<Ask.fm>
Answers: 730
Gifts: 0
Followers: 13
Latest answer: agoraphobia strikes again

<Reddit>
Link Karma: 4145
Comment Karma: 5262

<osu!>
I'm too lazy to write these down so have a screenshot instead:
firefox_2016-06-21_12-35-20.png
firefox_2016-06-21_12-35-35.png
firefox_2016-06-21_12-36-53.png

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Misu

Just read my time capsule post... Its depressing...

Anyway, just gonna leave a message to my future self:

You not dead yet? Kill yourself while you still can! STOP LIVING IN THIS HELL!!!

BretHudson

Oh neat! Haven't participated in one of these yet, sounds like a fun exercise.

Hey Bret, I know you're obsessed with traveling right now. I hope you still find time for game development (and work, of course). You have, what, seven games sitting on your hard drive waiting for you to touch them?

Not only do I hope you've found time for games, but also writing. That novel you're working on is promising, so if you've forgotten about it, you better find it and finish it. It'd be a shame not to expose the world to that story.

I might write more soon but that's what's coming to the top of my head.

R

roytheshort

I never leave any messages worthwhile to my future self, so nothing insightful ever comes from this. I usually say something stupid like "Remember to shave", "You're an idiot" or "Hello old man."

Maybe I should post something meaningful so I can make an accurate reflection on my life and develop as a person, or I could just post this...

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
If I am reading this, then I'm still alive! Hey that's great!
I wonder if you broke down and cut your hair yet, I'm a year and a half in right now. Two years is the record for us.
Did Homestead's release go well? Are you rolling in the dolla dolla bills?
You better be! Do you drink yet? I still don't.
Did StewartB change his username yet?(I think I know what he wants to change it to!)
I have nothing interesting to tell you or ask you. As you know, I have no life...

ALSO, on June 17th 2015, you dyed your hair green! What colour is it now?
Goodbye for now.

Hello, future Lukan!
You finally dropped the Spellweaver from your name, good job. Today is the day after the new GMC opened. If I recall correctly, you are the 79th member to join! Yay!
I am sitting in a doctor office waiting to be seen right now, I don't have much to say.
Did HS get released yet? Do you have money? Did your job finally start paying you? Did you move in with Chris, far away from Carol?

T

Toni

Spoiler alert: I am makerofthegames.
Hey bro.
I am indeed in college still! I have not failed us both. Although, I'm clearly on the way out in one way or another, so perhaps I have failed us both. Full explanation? Dude, abridging is fun. Man, you still thought you were going to get a normal job some day? HAHAHA good one.

Did I do the anniversary video? You mean Chaos;HEad;Abridged;10 which I've written already and gotten most of it voiced by most people who are in it ((though still haven't cast three small-ish roles in it))? Yeah, that's on point. It's gonna be better than that piece of 💩💩💩💩 19-minute long abridgement-of-an-already-comedy-anime idea you had. Not that it was a terrible idea inherently or anything, it just wasn't super great. It was pretty 💩💩💩💩ing long, though, so good job.

New friends?! Hell yeah! There's people I know on Skype from abridging now and other things. How new? Newest is like early June because of #TIBA. Also then there's Geoff. Geoff's cool. I do keep up with your current friends. Nobody has died yet, surprisingly. I AM STILL ALIVE, DO NOT FEAR.

さぁ、それにゃ分かる分かる。

GOD DAMMIT I DON'T HAVE ANY PURITY CHOCOLATE MILK NEAR ME WAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

To future me~ Man, I can't wait to be you!
How justified is my want to be you, in your opinion?
How did AoHS go? How did #TIBA go!? How did Gyakuten Saiban go!? How.. HOW DID -redacted abridged title after AoHS- GO??!
Man, I hope they all went 💩💩💩💩ing spectacularly. I hope we have at least 1,000 times more subscribers (we currently have 324) I hope we're selling shirts and dakimakura and have a patreon and I hope you've seriously considered where you're going to live in the coming months and years.

Geez, I can't wait to be you! Hamacon 7 went good, by the by. Did Hamacon 8 go well? Is that not here yet? I don't know when that is. Oh, did the minicon go well? Do you even remember it? OH YEAH, HOW DID AWA GO!? DID YOU RUB SHOULDERS WITH TAKAHATA??? OOoooooooohhhh man!~

Go get yourself some purity chocolate milk. For my sake. Love you man.

Oh, and is the Big Order thingy still going to be a thing soon? Get Cevian to start writing Swordory sometime, or have you already? I hope everyone's still alive and doing better than before. You too. Don't die on me, you bastard.

まだまだだね、これまではほんの始まりだよ。

Mercerenies

Last year
Hello, future Mercerenies. (Hi there, old me) Right now I am a rising junior in college at Tennessee Tech. I'm majoring in CS and mathematics (and if either of those have changed, I'm going to smack you with a rolling pin) (thankfully, they have not). You are still dating Emily, after a year and half (if that's changed, I'm going to smack you with several rolling pins) (yay, no rolling pins). My most recent non-Jam game is Loop: An Adventure Through Time, which I finished last December. Before that was Demensitis, which I finished an absurdly long time ago. Current projects are Budget Board and a very early version of Dem2. (Okay, so yeah. This kind of isn't great looking. I've only really finished one non-Jam game since then, being Endless Rail) My recent GMC Jam entries have been:
15 - Bridges: The Game (8th place)
16 - Barry: The Brainless Overlord (7th place)
17 - Circuitboard (9th place)
18 - Ice-Bot 3000 (14th place)
In terms of forum games, I'm currently running Sandwich Robots (which I really need to update soon). If you don't remember that game, it's the psychotically ridiculous antics involving evil clones, time travel, reversed clowns that want revenge, and different levels of subspace. (Oh yeah, that game :p) Other active forum games right now are One Hit Point Legends (TehPilot) and Wizard Battle: Rebirth (Snail_Man). In terms of programming languages, I am repeatedly telling myself that I'll stop using GM as much in favor of a more powerful, expressive language that isn't painful to code in. The most recent language I've learned that I feel fluent in is Common Lisp. I'm still telling myself I'm going to finish learning Elixir. (Very nice, I'm still using CLisp a lot, haven't really learned much Elixir, but I've picked up Ruby and Perl since then) Also, Latin. I'm trying to learn that again right now. My favorite programming language is Haskell (Still the same! :D), and I'm currently working on writing up my own programming language, codenamed "Modern Lang" until a better name comes to mind. (Oh, yeah. MLSP Lang. I was working on that last June? I thought it was more recently... anyway, that's on the back burner for now. I'm working on a prototype based language called Latitude) And now it's Q&A time.
1) Learned any new programming languages? Any you really like? Ruby and Perl, both of which I enjoy quite a bit
2) Do you know Elixir better yet? Erlang, even? Nope, but honestly I'm not too concerned. Elixir seems overhyped to me a bit; Ruby can do everything it can do and is more established
3) Are you fluent in Latin yet? (if the answer to this is no, I'm going to build a rolling pin cannon) Um... I think I should confiscate your rolling pins before I answer this...
4) Still with Emily? Yep!
5) Is Sandwich Robots still ongoing? What forum games are active now? Unfortunately no. The new GMC just came online (long story ,don't ask), so it's all new forum games. Misu is running a mafia game and Lukas is starting an RPG. I might make either an RPG or a new WUAS soon
6) What are your housing plans next year? Still with Ryan and Nick? Still with both of them. Not sure what's happening the year after next, but next year at least we're good
7) Still attending TN Tech? Oh yeah. Loving it!
8) How is the Altima treating you? Hopefully you haven't destroyed it yet. I have not, fortunately. Although according to my girlfriend I'm a reckless driver. But the car is wonderful
9) Is the Alien laptop still as fast and awesome as ever? It's brilliant when it's working, but it went through it's third factory reset a few months back, so yeah...
10) What's your favorite college class you've taken so far? Modern Algebra I, hands down.
11) Did you get a summer job this year? I did. eviCore Healthcare intern in QA. It's slow to start but I'm sure it will warm up soon
12) As ever, I have to ask. What's Minecraft's version now? 1.10, the Frostburn update
13) How about cookie clicker stats? Not playing it anymore. Long story short, my computer died and I had to reset and lost the cookie data
14) Is Applicative a superclass of Monad yet? Yes, it actually is, but I've been lazy about updating GHC so it's not on my system yet
15) How is "Modern Lang" coming along? Sadly, it's not. I put it on the back burner awhile ago, and am working on Latitude, a prototype based language, now
16) What's your most recent game? Did you finish Budget Board ever? Did not finish Budget Board, although I might at some point. Got some interesting new ideas for it. Most recent non-Jam game is Endless Rail, which is also my first Android release. Most recent game is Daron Moore: Private Eye, made for a warm-up jam on Discord.
17) Does Demensitis have a sequel? Are you working on it? No it doesn't. It's on the back burner as well
And below you'll find some random stats to compare against, just for fun. Nice talking to you, Future Merc. Also, Further Past Merc from the last time machine says hi! Here he is if you want to talk to him and have invented a time machine! Enjoy yourself out there :)

Stats:
Minecraft version: 1.8.7
Cookie Clicker: 1.78mill HC at 18.49qd CPS and 1.697sept all time baked
GPA: 3.92 Up a bit, not sure exactly what it is
Highest GMC Jam Rating: 7th place with Barry: TBO 6th with Stick and Stone now
Youtube subscribers: 5 Still 5
Twitter followers: 3 Amazingly, 9. I hardly ever post things...
Current forum rep: 2156 2838 at the time of the GMC's death
Active GMC Posts: 1597 1945
GMC Profile Views: 33871 41219
GMComicified Comics: 66 104

This year
Hi there, future me. I am currently a rising... um, whatever comes after senior, at Tennessee Tech. I have a job as an IT Intern at eviCore Healthcare for the summer. The new GMC just opened up, after an absurd wait. My most recent game was Daron Moore: Private Eye, a detective game which won the Discord Warm-up Jam. My most recent non-Jam game was Endless Rail, a casual strategy game which served as my debut on Google Play. In real life, I'm dating Emily, going on two and a half years now. I'm still using GM occasionally, although I have switched over to other languages quite a bit more now (thankfully). Also, I have a website! I'm going to post an image of the homepage (http://i.imgur.com/l3Xd7S6.png) so you can see if it's changed at all. Currently projects are Latitude (a prototype oriented programming language), Net Game (a dynamically generated world from parsing Wikipedia), and Luminescence 2 (a sequel to the platformer Luminescence, similar in style). On the back burner are MLSP Lang, Budget Board, and Demensitis 2. In terms of languages, I most recently picked up Perl, before that I learned Ruby. So yeah, that's about it for me. Now for the usual questions:
(1) Still dating Emily?
(2) Has Net Game gone anywhere? Have you given it a better name than "Net Game" yet?
(3) Are either MLSP or Latitude stable enough to be used for real coding yet?
(4) Finished any awesome games lately?
(5) What are your more recent Jam entries? Managed to one-up the sixth place ranking from Stick and Stone yet?
(6) Minecraft version? It's 1.10 right now.
(7) You should be starting your final year of undergrad soon. Picked out a grad school yet? What about a thesis, if you're doing one?
(8) Re-taught yourself Latin? Get on that!
(9) Made Demensitis 2 yet? Get on that too!
(10) Have an internship this summer?
(11) As of right now, you have 5 Youtube subscribers and 9 Twitter followers. Are those numbers the same?
(12) Current forum games? At the moment, I have none on the new forum.
That's about it. Nice talking to you, future Merc. Hope you're doing well! :)

A

amusudan

Yay, 4 more days until yesterday!

Also roytheshort is now the new lord of time.

Overloaded

The Oneirophobe
Hello, future Overloaded!
So, the new GMC just opened a couple of days ago. In fact, 5 days ago. On Monday. It's Saturday now. Also, the UK voted to leave the EU. I'm currently doing some extra tutor lessons to prepare for the upcoming (and final) school year... During summer. It sucks. Anyway, here are some questions for thee:
  1. How is Orama Game Studios doing? Is Oneirophobia progressing well? Any news regarding the members?
  2. Have you found a girlfriend yet? (Please say yes)
  3. How is the blog doing?
  4. Do you feel like your life has been improved since the time I was writing this?
  5. Do you still feel lazy and bored to do stuff? :p
  6. What is the situation of the world? Has the Greek economy improved? How was the EU and the UK affected by the referendum results?
  7. Did you learn anything new?
  8. Have you discovered anything new? (Game, movie, anime, etc)
  9. At the time you are reading this, you probably must have finished with the Big Final Ultimate Examinations... Ugh. How did you do? If you did not do well... Do not worry! You have 2 more chances! :D
  10. How is your emotional world doing?
  11. Have you improved as a person? If yes, in what sectors of your life have you improved?
  12. How is your body? Still hitting the gym?
  13. OMG YOU HAVE PLAYED KINGDOM HEARTS 2.8. LUCKY. I wonder how many new aspects of lore we have received. Also... has the release date of Kingdom Hearts III been announced yet?
  14. Did you buy anything new? New console? New computer related stuff? New game development related stuff? New game related stuff? Anything?
  15. Any new hobbies?
  16. Have you discovered any new YouTube channels of interest?
  17. Are you still worried and feel uncertain about the future?
  18. Do you feel lonely?
  19. Are you healthy?
  20. You are alive... right!?
  21. What is love?
42. What is the answer of the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything?
404. Did you lose a question? I can't seem to find it.

Last edited:

ElectroMan

Jack of All Shades
I hope you are pleasantly surprised to find me amidst the busy discombobulation that I predict your life has turned into. Especially during this time, being exam period and all that. Which means you are off procrastinating and checking out the GMC. Naughty Electro. Anyway, enough of the pleasantries, on with the actual meat of this inter-temporal discussion. Don't go easy on me. Surely you remember how ruthless I was to past, past Electro.
I do remember, and I shall treat you with the same impunity I unleashed upon that unequipped troglodyte of a person. You see, values change but the essence of what makes us us is immutable, to a degree. I will forever be unappeased by past iterations of myself whilst remaining blissfully persistent on my belief that present me is the best form I can attain. Let's see what the damage is.

How's college? You know, during this time you were seriously considering changing you Master's degree for the following 2 years. I would want to know how that turned out. But alas, I am restricted by causality and the law of cause-and-effect, and so that decision is entrusted to me in these following months. Here's hoping I made the right call.
I'll give you that one, past Electro. That was a good call indeed. It's a lot more difficult from what I can perceive, but my studying regimen has gotten more rigorous. Not as rigorous as I'd like, but nevertheless it's a step in the right direction.

What content have you recently been creating? There's that one site that I am currently constructing (and learning HTML/CSS for) and I have high hopes for it. If I ever finish it. How about music? I did take a long hiatus after last year's PC cleaning, but music producing is so fun. I can be assured that there's some work in progress in that department, yes?
You have very high unjustified expectations for my level of procrastination dealing with the more... artistic part of me. I remain still ignorant to the CSS and HTML languages and I should probably remain that way for a long time, unfortunately. Music's been meh, I worked on tracks here and there. Let's see what this Summer brings.

What music are you into? My top favourite tracks have remain unchanged for years, but anything can happen, I suppose. Good old Irus and kors k. What are your favourite songs right now? Has anything changed from your top list? Are the old songs still ever present in your playlists?
Top five or so are still intact, I think. Probably the most relevant change was the discovery of Hiroyuki ODA and some tracks by Nhato.

How's the love department? You probably know that I have no intentions on investing on lasting relationships, but perhaps that paradigm has shifted. Of course, if it has, I will be disappointed, but this is the past Electro talking. If it arose from necessity, or a grave change in your core tenants, or indeed the evolutionary imperative to settle down into a monogamous setting, whatever it may be, may you be satisfied with your current situation, whatever it may be. Which lead me nicely into the last question...
The paradigm has persisted ol' chap. And I have yet to encounter something that will, perhaps in a fundamental stage, emotionally manipulate my person into enjoying a continuous relationship. The past two years have been very formative to me in that regard, yet paradoxically it has only instilled my already established perspective.

Are you content? The previously section is intimately related with this question, at least during the time of writing this post. The girl from the city over has left a large dent that can only be satisfied with the assurance that I am able to meet her every blue moon or so. In fact, the large portion of my melancholic state resides in the fact that she is, in fact, very toxic to my well-being, and the conflicting interests of my own psyche give rise to contradicting feelings about this whole conundrum. I am in no position to predict the outcome of this affair, I'll leave it to you to judge this whole, past, scenario.
You're a moron. A empty-headed, immature unapologetic churl who doggedly pursues with no remorse the epitome of your most crowned possession: ignorance. Past Electro, you contemptible, poor excuse for a conscious blob of matter, why persist in toxic turmoil that has no other result than the continuous fuelling of your melancholy? Such is the state of being impassioned, such are the capricious antics of life. Feel humble, though, for your mistakes only shape my personality and help me, us, grow as a person. You're a necessary "evil." And for that I thank you, you dullard.

In any case, I sincerely hope you have peace of mind about the overall aspects that I, inexorably, have played a part in. May my choices not f- up your life too much. Now begone, you beautiful buffoon. I have to attend my job in sculpting the inept simpleton that you represent.
I guess this is the case of "you are glue" isn't it, past ElectroMan? To answer the question you imparted on me before, if I am content... I didn't mean to dodge it, for I am not content. That is my purpose, and by analysing past mistakes I can maybe, for a split second, be awarded a small glimpse into what I can do to attain that Holy Graal. You're dismissed.

Greetings future ElectroMan,

Can you believe that idiot above? What an utter tool. I can already tell that you might want to impose that unscrupulous judgement upon me as I did to past self. And maybe you will have a valid reason to, but let me try to make a case for myself first so that you may decide on it.

How's college? By now you probably finished writing your thesis, or are about to. I have... absolutely no clue what to write about. I'm think of, well, thinking about it during the Summer and write some e-mails to get some guidance, but particle physics is looking a bit murky-ish for me. Anyway, I'm sure I, you, made the right choice.

What content have you recently been creating? I mean, if there has even been time for that. Right now I am creatively bankrupt as I have funnelled my energies solely to my classes. And, well, I've been going out at night a lot. Like, a lot a lot. I'm enjoying the student life as much as I can. Actually I feel sorry for you because you are almost finishing it up (hopefully). This, my future-bound friend, is the life.

What music are you into? I made this huge discovery some days ago, I found some music I used to listen to eons ago. Also Nhato has been very prevalent and, well, everything else is more or less the same.

How's the love department? Same old, same old. I've been having a dry spell like you won't believe. You probably remember the crush I have right now for that girl in my class. I know, it's crazy, right? You won't make anything out of it, certainly. And I am pretty sure this is just an impermanent feeling that will wash away in due time. It's really a mess. A perpetually cyclic mess.

Are you content? Hard question to ask. I haven't lost hope, this is something I really want to achieve. I want to look back on these messages and know deep down that all those terrible moments I had are just fodder, simple obstacles to that objective: reminders that anything easily achievable is not worth fighting for; reminders that happiness is a state of mind and not a tangible end to itself, nor can it be a persistent sensation.

Or, you know, that's just a simple nonsensical divagation I use to self-promote as an intellectual sophist. But I realize it's your job to denigrate my personhood and not mine. Self-loathing looks so ugly on you. Have a wonderful say you majestic oaf.

E

Ethanicus

Hey, future Ethanicus. How far are you on that game I'm working on? Right now it's at about 15%. I expect it should be near 50-75% by your time.
16%? You made no progress? How?
You were playing Minecraft weren't you.
Yes you were.
That's so typical of you.
See if I trust you to get anything done anymore.

R

roytheshort

I trusted future me to pay the bills, but he just enjoyed the services without paying for them. I thought that was accrual thing to do.

Baku

I guess I'll bite. I never really used the old GMC, so I'm new to this. But it sounds interesting.

It's currently 27th of June 2016. You'll be living in June of 2017! Damn!

I just had my last exam on 1st semester of the bachelor's degree in web dev. You're 1 year ahead, you should be finishing the 3rd and final semester. How's that been going?

Secured a web dev job or something? Or go study gaems in Copenhagen?

So far I have 8 "completed projects" online. I'd hope to be closer to double that in a year's time! With AGBIC coming up, a year's worth of gm48, and LowRezJam if that's a thing again...

Currently the only things on itch.io are Legend of Xenia and Continuum, with only LoX having made money. But I suppose you're rolling in itch.io-dough in a year, bahahaha!

That big game you've been working on forever is still not completed, in fact, it's not even close and going slow af. I'll spent all of Summer just working my butt off on games (AGBIC, then gm48, the rest that big thing). How far has it come? Is the demo out? ;)

Have you been walking more? I'd bloody well hope so, if Pokémon GO actually released!

The daily work log has not been used for a couple months now. I want to restart it on 1st of July, and keep it going for the rest of the year, and eventually start another one for 2017. Future me, please don't tell me I forgot about this D:

Does DuoLingo still not have Jap for Eng speakers? ._.

Games that I am looking forward to: Iconoclasts, Heart Forth Alicia, Owlboy, Chasm, Fara, Long Gone Days, Persona 5, Kingdom Hearts 2.8 and 3, Final Fantasy 5, Pokémon S&M. Has any of them come out? Were they any good?

Goals:
1. Work on that big thing for god's sake! I'd really want a demo out in 2017...
2. Reach $100 in game sales on itch.io. Should be easy. LoX has so far netted $36 in 2.2 months. Not much, but not nothing!
3. 300 followers on Twitter. Easy if another "LoX" happens.
4. Restart the DWL and keep it going, dammit!
It's generally been going pretty good lately. Legend of Xenia really pushed me forwards during it's development and release.

Twitter:

Pinned tweet: LoX is released

Itch.io (69 days since first published game on itch):

GMS Steam version:
I bet this one will be interesting in a year's time. Here's my latest 15 starred songs on Spotify:

Mercerenies

As much as I hate to bump this just to bury it, I want to make it official.