• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

This new feature would be cool! :)

M

Meikel

Why not? :/
I mean this would be really helpful, in my opinion.
If you don't want to use it, then you can let it by default.

It does look nice, but I don't think I would ever personally use that. What's wrong with them being the same color?

More to the point, there are much higher priority things I think I would prefer yoyo working on. :)

Last edited:
M

Meikel

Really ?? Do you need to get an explanation about that, why it's so helpful? Really?...

It's so obvious.
I mean you can easily group a code like:

Green is "finished Code".
Orange is "unfinished Code".
or Red is "Need to work on this/this could be better".

Or if you work with 2 Peoples. And everyone gets his own color or something.
so you can "click faster" where your codes are.

Or Blue is the "Main Code" from an Object.
so you can find the main part of an Object "faster".
It's just clearer and better. ^^

This could be really useful, in mine opinion.

And if you don't want to use it, then you can let it by default. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Really ?? Do you need to get an explanation about that, why it's so helpful? Really?...

It's so obvious.
I mean you can easily group a code like:

Green is "unfinished Code".
Orange is "not unfinished Code".
and Red is "Need to bug fixed -Code".

Or if you work with 2 Peoples. And everyone gets his own color or something.
so you can "click faster" where your codes are.

Or Blue is the "Main Code" from an Object.
This could be really useful, in mine opinion.
And if you don't want to use it, then you can let it by default.
Okay. Pretty sure that wouldn't be helpful for me, and for the majority of users here. :)

rIKmAN

Fine... If you mean. :/
If you really want it so bad, file it as a suggestion.

However there are far more important issues that have been in Mantis for much longer that don't get the time of day, so I wouldn't hold your breath at this ever being anything but "low priority" - ie. On the never list.

csanyk

Color in the icons, on the other hand, would be nice. It's hard to look at b&w icons, and it's also harder to make good icons with only 2 colors. The standard GMS2 gui is too monochrome for my tastes.

Yeah, like I said earlier, I have higher priorities.

It doesn't really matter though. A single thread like this isn't going to change any of their plans. And, if they did do something like that, what they really should do is expand the skin functionality so that people who care can do it themselves. I though you already could add skins to GMS2, though I don't know what stuff you can change, because I really don't care.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Color in the icons, on the other hand, would be nice. It's hard to look at b&w icons, and it's also harder to make good icons with only 2 colors. The standard GMS2 gui is too monochrome for my tastes.
Maybe something like this?

View attachment 15332
That one's easy to DIY - object editor icons are in <GMS2 directory>/GUI/Skins/Dark/Images/ObjectEditor/MenuIcons.

On the topic's matter, if that suggestion gets implemented sometime with custom colors, I'm honestly not looking forward to trying to read people's neon colored labels on the light theme.

Z

zendraw

i think letting the user colour the text is a good touch. it adds another level of description

rIKmAN

I would much rather YYG focus their efforts on GML rather than the GUI at this point...
Better hope Russell gets some more spare time in the evenings around his real life to work on it, cos sadly that's where language changes / GML gets worked on.

I

IceExplosive

Nice with those icos, you have my thanks for idea... had to do it for my IDE as well. :)
Now the last thing that really keeps irritating me a lot in IDE is bad alignment of object's code and script windows... don't you have any idea hot to solve that too? :-D (or can it be expected? ... really hate to keep moving scripts to right if opened after object and then objects after that back to left, so code windows are in one column...)