GameMaker Have you *officially* moved over to GM2 yet?

I used it for a project, but still constantly jump back to 1.4. I even jump back to 8, for the faster loading times, to quickly edit some images

I haven't yet because I need to first get a computer that'll run it, I understand that you need a 64bit computer to use GMS2. The main reason I'd like to switch to GMS2 is for greater control over the GPU.

kupo15

I just did a couple months ago and I'm glad I did. I'm used to it already and the workflow is better in a lot of ways...I thought it was going to be much worse from my early beta days. Its pretty stable now and I'm glad to have it working on a better and more supportive engine

I also switched almost completely over to GMS2. I only use the GMS1 image editor occasionally for some of the more esoteric functions. But I'm just a programmer.

The workflow is way more efficient. I counted the number of clicks to do various actions in both programs and it can be as many as four less clicks to do something in GMS2 than in 1.4. Especially if you use bookmarks (though I'm not in the habit yet). The loading is a little slower I guess, but it's not insane. I switched by forcing myself to do GMC Jam #5 with GMS2. By the end I was so much more accostomed to GMS2 that the next thing I did was port my main project over. (That took two or three days to do completely, but it was a pretty smooth process. I just needed to rewrite some things to be more efficient to take advantage of GMS2 engine).

rIKmAN

Been using GMS2 since beta, and haven't opened 1.4 for months now - I only still have it installed because I have some older prototypes that were done in 1.4 that I might want to port over and expand upon in the future, otherwise it would have already been uninstalled.

Once you get over the initial dislike of it not being what you know and are familiar with (GMS1), there really is no going back.

How many people have made the jump and committed to game maker 2, using it on a day to day basis for proper projects?

I've bought it, but I haven't made anything serious with it. GM 1.4 is just too familiar still.
I bought it with the HTML5 module while the upgrade discount was still available earlier in the year. Needless to say I stuck with 1.4 for a while but then when a game jam came up, I figured I would use GMS2 instead because the time frame would force me to learn quicker. Ever since then I've been using GMS2 (Except for the months of July and August, I went back to 1.4 because a GMS2 update broke my scaling engine and the way it used the views. After the update that fixed this, I went back to it.)

I only use 1.4 for the missing sprite editor functions and to run previously made prototypes, but right now my propriety engine is GMS2, as it becomes more stable, I become more happier and content with it.

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
I'm still on GMS1.4 despite owning a GMS2 license & modules since launch. I haven't found the motivation to port my games to GMS2 due to several frustrating bugs (I can't even update GMS2 without applying a tedious workaround). I feel like 1.4 was only just getting stable enough for me to use, and I'm not ready to go through another journey of endless bug reporting quite yet.

GMS2 as a whole seems great though, and I'm looking forward to the day I can swap over completely and uninstall my Windows VM.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I was using 1.4 to finish the creation of Skein, but have now moved over completely to 2. It's pretty much superior in every way, and although there are still a few IDE quirks (I find workspaces a bit cumbersome, but a few Prefs tweaks and learning to use the GoTo window has got me a good workflow now), i've found it much nicer to use. I've been porting over some of my WIPs from 1.4 this last month and every time I have to open 1.4 to check something, it's horrible! No going back now...

lazertrax

I don't own a GameMaker Studio 2 license yet. I forced myself to use it during the GMC Jam#6 and I can safely say I'm pretty much spoiled now. I absolutely love the new code editor and room editor to a point that I am scared to start up GMS 1.4 and continue working on my WIP android game.

So as soon as I can afford GMS2 as well as the Android module I'm making the switch!

andev

I'm still on GMS1.4 despite owning a GMS2 license & modules since launch. I haven't found the motivation to port my games to GMS2 due to several frustrating bugs (I can't even update GMS2 without applying a tedious workaround). I feel like 1.4 was only just getting stable enough for me to use, and I'm not ready to go through another journey of endless bug reporting quite yet.

GMS2 as a whole seems great though, and I'm looking forward to the day I can swap over completely and uninstall my Windows VM.
what true valhala says is a good reason for me to not even bother about it, atleast for another year or so.
I'd say this is the boat I'm in right now too

The main reason I'd like to switch to GMS2 is for greater control over the GPU.
What more does it offer? I thought GPU stuff was mainly handled by shaders. Or has there finally been an overhaul in the texturepage department?

The workflow is way more efficient. I counted the number of clicks to do various actions in both programs and it can be as many as four less clicks to do something in GMS2 than in 1.4.
It might be less clicks but is it faster? Taking into account that 1.4 has been used for longer and will seem faster.

Especially if you use bookmarks (though I'm not in the habit yet).
learning to use the GoTo window has got me a good workflow now, i've found it much nicer to use.
These sound enticing :D

The loading is a little slower I guess, but it's not insane.
When you say loading, do you mean compile times, generally using the program (like loading a code window), or just the loading on startup?

I switched by forcing myself to do GMC Jam #5 with GMS2.
I stuck with 1.4 for a while but then when a game jam came up, I figured I would use GMS2 instead because the time frame would force me to learn quicker.
I forced myself to use it during the GMC Jam#6
I would hate the pressure of this, anyone that did this is a crazy risk taker!

Once you get over the initial dislike of it not being what you know and are familiar with (GMS1), there really is no going back.
once I finally made "the switch" there was no going back for me.
I've been using GMS 2 since beta and like others have said, there is no going back.
every time I have to open 1.4 to check something, it's horrible! No going back now...
I can safely say I'm pretty much spoiled now. ---- I am scared to start up GMS 1.4 and continue working on my WIP android game. So as soon as I can afford GMS2 as well as the Android module I'm making the switch!
You guys would make such a great marketing department, the more I read, the more I'm convinced to try it again right now. These quotes should be on the front page of the website lol

So the overall consensus is:
It's so good I wouldn't switch back (workflow, room editor), but it's buggy, slow and resource intensive. And if you have a WIP project, it will need a lot of work to port over, so it would be better to start a project in it.

RangerX

Personally I will stay on GM1 for as long as it is viable to do so. I paid for that engine and those compilers, I can't change for changing. GM1 is stable and lets me do what I need to do. For as long as it is that way, why change?
I will eventually have to change anyways so I will let that time come when it comes.

Coded Games

Yes I only use GMS2 now. I use a Mac so not having to use a VM for Windows makes up for the somewhat clunky workspace system and a couple relatively minor bugs.

Plus the new update/version system is just too awesome.

@andev

well for one you can control zbuffer comparision. I've also read there is (or will be) better texture filtering options, mipmapping. Not sure on the details though since I haven't used GMS2 yet.

hogwater

I bought GMS 2, but I've been working exclusively in 1.4 to reacquaint myself with coding before fighting with a new interface. GMS 2 at first blush was very awkward with windows opening underneath others and things locked where I didn't want them.

That said, once I need to write a camera and really start using the room editor heavily I am moving to GMS 2. At this point I just need to move my character's step event to a state machine and I will be ready to pack my bags.

Last edited:
K

Kuro

I have both. Use them regularly, mostly for prototyping. Donno if that counts. Workspaces do my head in so I wouldn't use it for anything bigger than that.

Ladi_Pix3l

Ehhh. . . Since my games are trash, "making-money" is still on the bench till it learns to cooperate. With that said, if I wanted to make mac/mobile/hmtl5, games I'd have to stick with GMS1.4 since I have the master collection. (and better image editor currently) However, when targeting desktop (and eventually steam) I wanna continue practicing with GMS2

O

OrangeBit

I missed my opportunity to upgrade for 20$. I think it should have been free anyway. Wouldn't have bought GM Studio 1 knowing that V2 was right around the corner.

Upgrading to GM2 should have been free if you already had GM?
If he bought GM a week before they announced GMS2, then yeah, probably. I've seen companies do things like that before. Really sucks giving a company a grand, only for them to say "lol, tough luck! Should've waited another week! Have fun with the 💩💩💩💩ty old version you're not going to want anymore in three months! ;D "

O

OrangeBit

Upgrading to GM2 should have been free if you already had GM?
Maybe for a limited time or something, but I missed the window. However I saw a limited time offer to upgrade from GM Studio to GM Studio 2 for 20$ but now they want me to buy it for full price. I hope I'm wrong!!

R

robin518

I switched by forcing myself to do GMC Jam #5 with GMS2. By the end I was so much more accostomed to GMS2 that the next thing I did was port my main project over.

O

Onigiri

Don't have any old GM1.4 projects that would need finishing, so.. yes. Even if I had I would probably port at this point.

Beedub

I'm just getting back into Gamemaker, so I opted to re-aquaint myself using GMS2 instead of GMS 1.4. So far I'm very impressed with GMS2.

Tsa05

I started an ambitious and long project (probably complete this month) about 6 months before the beta of GMS2 was released, so switching was a "must" for me. Knowing that it was going to take close to 2 yrs, and that GMS 1 would be on its last legs by the time I was done, I knew that I needed to get switched *early* while the project was growing. My project does a ton with strings, so I bit the bullet and changed over as soon as I could.

It hurt, and a lot, because the beta had all of the changes with none of the stability. A thousand little adjustments have been made since then to fix both bugs and useability issues. And they're still working hard on everything--they just fixed the weird Home/End behavior last week.

Some of the things I wanted, and got in GMS2:
  • Auto-suggesting variable names, with scope listed beside them
  • Docking multiple code windows into one code pane
  • Layers in rooms
  • Code folding (took a while but we got it)
  • A fix for that horrible GMS1 behavior where the resource tree scrolls away on you every time you close any pane
So, it was basically immedietely good for me in a whole bunch of fundamental ways. Maintaining my one active GMS1 project is a pain now :)
I didn't need the node-graph workflow thingie or the new "much more advanced but nowhere near a full drawing or image editing or frame/vector animation" tool. But I don't mind them! The workflow thing has gotten me more organized, grouping code windows by execution order; definitely improved my efficiency over the old "move floating windows around till you find the right one" method. Still best to work on few objects at one time though--it takes up space.

K

Kayotime

rolls in because I'm a new member and this thread looks interesting

I actually got Game Maker Studio Professional 2 (or whatever it's called) for free because my Game Design teacher has it for us to use and he said I can just take it. So yeah, I have the files and everything and it's awesome... just very confusing for someone like me who learned modified python through Ren'Py and is now trying to figure out this coding and system...

The-any-Key

I still use GM EA.
I tested gms2 in Windows 10 yesterday, and it just lag and freeze when using the start screen buttons in gms2. Using the top menu works.
Tested create a sprite and wanted several images. And it just crashed.

Will wait 6 more months and see if they have fixed it. Still too many bugs for me.

The-any-Key

Why don't you use Beta? EAP is older, Beta contains some bug fixes.
Ahh.
Did not know that.
EA sound like Early access, the latest stuff, dare you try our new features.
Beta sound like the one after EA.
EA (latest latest)
Beta (official latest)
Stable (official stable)

I am still on 1.4. I need to test porting my current project over to GMS2 and if it goes smoothly, I *MAY* make the switch. I am finally getting to a point where I am relatively comfortable* working on my own without constant help in 1.4, so it is hard to consider changing.

(*NOTE: Don't confuse 'comfortable' with being a really good game developer... I still make plenty of mistakes and get called out here for them from time to time ;))