• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.1.3

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Anyone else getting this large FPS issue? Ever since I updated, my FPS has been going crazy. I tried removing all objects in the room and it still persists. My FPS in settings is set to 30.

Edit: I uninstalled and reinstalled and still having the same problem.

Edit 2: I created a new GMS2 project and only had one object with show_debug_overlay(true); in the create event and I still get the crazy FPS.

Sometimes when I try to test/debug my game, the build time would be verrrry slow and the game screen wouldn't even come up.
This is normal... the FPS you are getting is still 30FPS... this is the difference between "fps" and "real fps" .... as long as that numbers you see are above the limit you specify (in this case 30) you are good to go!! Look at it as a the maximum you could have gone.

Andrey

Anyone else getting this large FPS issue? Ever since I updated, my FPS has been going crazy. I tried removing all objects in the room and it still persists. My FPS in settings is set to 30.

Edit: I uninstalled and reinstalled and still having the same problem.

Edit 2: I created a new GMS2 project and only had one object with show_debug_overlay(true); in the create event and I still get the crazy FPS.

Sometimes when I try to test/debug my game, the build time would be verrrry slow and the game screen wouldn't even come up.
I have a problem with fps since the last update, after the YoYo team introduced a new synchronization system.
In windowed mode, it's impossible to work at all. Delta Time jumps from 300 to 33000 through the frame.
In the full screen, the situation is much more stable, but there are still breakthroughs up to 400.
Here is a video of my situation >>>

GMWolf

aka fel666
I have a problem with fps since the last update, after the YoYo team introduced a new synchronization system.
In windowed mode, it's impossible to work at all. Delta Time jumps from 300 to 33000 through the frame.
In the full screen, the situation is much more stable, but there are still breakthroughs up to 400.
Here is a video of my situation >>>
Very strange. Could be a bug?
With delta timing it's often useful to smooth that value out over multiple frames. For instance you could take the moving average over 5 frames.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
2.1.3 Hotfix release: http://gms.yoyogames.com/ReleaseNotes.html

• Fixed instance variables which override defaults not overriding if you also have instance creation code
  • Fixed editing the variable list for an object at the same time as editing variables for an instance of that object caused the instance's variables to override incorrectly
  • Fixed the object window to allow using macros and enums without this resulting in a compiler error
  • Fixed the manual saying that variables added via the new object variables system used 32bit doubles instead of the normal 64bit
  • Fixed base64_decode() affecting chr() and causing HTML5 games to fail to load if you used this function

breakmt

I'm messing around with the new Object variables, and the one thing that I noticed is that even though the variable is defined in the new little window, it doesn't show up in auto-complete when writing code, which is a bit annoying. Maybe they'll add it in a future update? Or is it just not working for me?
Yeah, it dissapointed me too... That's why I moved back my variables in Create event.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Yeah, it dissapointed me too... That's why I moved back my variables in Create event.
I think you are missing the point of the object varaibles. They are meant to define the properties of an instance (or inhertied object). Not meant for all you variables used internally.
They are a sort of interface to the object,

kupo15

I think you are missing the point of the object varaibles. They are meant to define the properties of an instance (or inhertied object). Not meant for all you variables used internally.
kinda like if you define a weight for your object that you would be tweaking throughout instead of it being buried in a sea of create event code you can pop it out to the forefront to easily adjust it?

breakmt

Probably... Could you give an example of using it?

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
The new hotfix doesn't seem to install properly. I downloaded the installer (v 2.1.3.273). But when I run it, it hangs repeatedly telling me to close Studio (which isn't open). So my only option is to cancel.

I even tried opening Studio beforehand, so I'd have something to close. But it still hangs, repeatedly telling me to close. Again, forced to cancel.

Fortunately, my current installation (v 2.1.3.217) appears to be intact, so no harm done. But the hotfix isn't installed.

GMWolf

aka fel666
kinda like if you define a weight for your object that you would be tweaking throughout instead of it being buried in a sea of create event code you can pop it out to the forefront to easily adjust it?
yeah.
Whats great is those values can then easily be changed by child objects, of even individual instances in the room.
Having the filters and types also makes it easy for collaborators to create levels, etc.

The drop down menu for instance could select a type of AI, etc.

rIKmAN

The new hotfix doesn't seem to install properly. I downloaded the installer (v 2.1.3.273). But when I run it, it hangs repeatedly telling me to close Studio (which isn't open). So my only option is to cancel.

I even tried opening Studio beforehand, so I'd have something to close. But it still hangs, repeatedly telling me to close. Again, forced to cancel.

Fortunately, my current installation (v 2.1.3.217) appears to be intact, so no harm done. But the hotfix isn't installed.
I know it doesn't help you but it installed fine first time here (Windows 10 64bit).

Could there be a GMS2 process still open in Task Manager that you aren't aware of?

untune

Just to transfer this from another thread, just tested and there appear to be issues with DirectInput pads on Windows with the new update. There has been a change to the way PS4 pads are handled as they now return "Sony DualShock 4" instead of "Wireless Controller" in the description, which is good! The input still functions fine except the "SHARE" button (which used to be mapped to gp_select) no longer registers input. According to documentation, the touchpad button click should correspond to the gp_select constant (assuming this is PS4, as it does nothing on Windows)

Generic USB DirectInput pads are no longer working properly; with one pad I have a dpad that works as the left axis (gp_lefth and v) acting as if both a left AND right stick are being moved in unison - this didn't happen before the update. On others, I'm seeing that the RIGHT STICK V AXIS is acting as if it is constantly pushed upwards, and pressing the left analogue trigger acts as the right v axis, moving down as the trigger is depressed and back up when released. I've tested pads via the Configure... option in Windows Device Manager and they all function as they're supposed to.

It's hard to say where the issue lies since it needs a non XBox and non PS4 DirectInput pad to test, but if anyone has a bog standard USB pad it would be worth trying.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I know it doesn't help you but it installed fine first time here (Windows 10 64bit).

Could there be a GMS2 process still open in Task Manager that you aren't aware of?
That's always a good thing to check... but in this case, no. No other processes at all. (And I'm also using Win 10 64 bit, for the record.)

One thing I noticed with this update is that Studio continues to load even though I selected "install now" in the update prompt. With previous updates, Studio would close on its own when I selected the option to update now.

Not sure if this represents a change in YoYo's procedures, or a change in my system.

rIKmAN

That's always a good thing to check... but in this case, no. No other processes at all. (And I'm also using Win 10 64 bit, for the record.)

One thing I noticed with this update is that Studio continues to load even though I selected "install now" in the update prompt. With previous updates, Studio would close on its own when I selected the option to update now.

Not sure if this represents a change in YoYo's procedures, or a change in my system.
Ah I don't use the popup installer, I choose "Download Now", save it to a folder and then run the exe from my hard drive.

Try that see if it makes a difference, there seems to be some issues with regards to YYG servers and logging in, loading RSS feeds etc for some people so it might be a similar problem you are having with regards to using the popup installer while GMS2 is running?

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
It never made it into the Release Notes but we have updated how Gamepads were read on Windows, Linux and Mac - they now follow the standard used by SDL2 (it is the 2.0.4 format see https://github.com/gabomdq/SDL_GameControllerDB, they changed the format after we had started this work) which is used by Valve for Big Picture (and other Valve products) - this now follows that standard and now sorts inputs properly which improves standardisation, this standard unfortunately has changed some of the mappings (but now they are consistent with other products).

This should have been in the Release Notes and my apologies that it was omitted, there are no changes to the gamepad functions for users and this extends our supported gamepads significantly (especially on Mac and Linux).

In the future we will add some functions allowing users to add mappings and override the controller database that is built in.

As to your particular problem you should read the buttons directly rather than using the gp_*** constants using the gamepad_button_count () to get the number buttons and gamepad_button_check() with button numbers from 0...N-1 (the value you get back from gamepad_button_count).

I know that select button is not mapped on the PS4 controller by the mapping database, but it is still read and is in the list of all the buttons, rather than just the mapped set.

Russell

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Ah I don't use the popup installer, I choose "Download Now", save it to a folder and then run the exe from my hard drive.
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear in my earlier posts. After the first episode of endless "close GameMaker" prompts, I tried what you suggested -- i.e., saving/running the .exe before launching Studio. But I still got the prompts that Studio was open. It seems like the installer is reacting to itself as being an open Studio session. o_O

At this point, I suspect something has becoming corrupted with my current installation. So I may need to remove Studio manually and then re-run the installer.

untune

It never made it into the Release Notes but we have updated how Gamepads were read on Windows, Linux and Mac - they now follow the standard used by SDL2 (it is the 2.0.4 format see https://github.com/gabomdq/SDL_GameControllerDB, they changed the format after we had started this work) which is used by Valve for Big Picture (and other Valve products) - this now follows that standard and now sorts inputs properly which improves standardisation, this standard unfortunately has changed some of the mappings (but now they are consistent with other products).

This should have been in the Release Notes and my apologies that it was omitted, there are no changes to the gamepad functions for users and this extends our supported gamepads significantly (especially on Mac and Linux).

In the future we will add some functions allowing users to add mappings and override the controller database that is built in.

As to your particular problem you should read the buttons directly rather than using the gp_*** constants using the gamepad_button_count () to get the number buttons and gamepad_button_check() with button numbers from 0...N-1 (the value you get back from gamepad_button_count).

I know that select button is not mapped on the PS4 controller by the mapping database, but it is still read and is in the list of all the buttons, rather than just the mapped set.

Russell
Ahhhh that makes much more sense... I'll have to give some thought to how this will all fit into my input system; luckily I finish work for Christmas tomorrow :p
Thanks for the update Russell!

Cheers

rIKmAN

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear in my earlier posts. After the first episode of endless "close GameMaker" prompts, I tried what you suggested -- i.e., saving/running the .exe before launching Studio. But I still got the prompts that Studio was open. It seems like the installer is reacting to itself as being an open Studio session. o_O

At this point, I suspect something has becoming corrupted with my current installation. So I may need to remove Studio manually and then re-run the installer.
I assume this is just crossed wires, or my stupidity, or both - but what do you mean when you say "before you run Studio"?

The installer usually prompts to uninstall the existing version, then installs the version from the installer, there isn't ever any "running" version of GMS as the "GMS2 is already installed" popup appears as soon as you run the installer.

Also, you said you were on Windows 10 - is everything up to date via Windows Update?

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I assume this is just crossed wires, or my stupidity, or both - but what do you mean when you say "before you run Studio"?
Sorry, poor word choice on my part. I meant "without running Studio". In order words, I executed the installer with nothing else running.

I'll get this fixed. Once I finish today's work I'll remove the current version, reboot, and re-install. Since the hotfix is working for others, it's got to be something screwed up on my machine.

rIKmAN

Sorry, poor word choice on my part. I meant "without running Studio". In order words, I executed the installer with nothing else running.

I'll get this fixed. Once I finish today's work I'll remove the current version, reboot, and re-install. Since the hotfix is working for others, it's got to be something screwed up on my machine.
Ahhh no worries, I didn't think you were running it whilst attempting to run the installer but thought it best to check! :)

...is my keyboard going crazy or does holding Shift and pressing Ctrl+End just select to the end of the line you're on instead of doing what Ctrl+End normally does (jump down to the bottom of the code)? Same deal with Shift and Ctrl+Home, it's just selecting to the beginning of the line the cursor is on instead of selecting up to the top lol

sman

...is my keyboard going crazy or does holding Shift and pressing Ctrl+End just select to the end of the line you're on instead of doing what Ctrl+End normally does (jump down to the bottom of the code)? Same deal with Shift and Ctrl+Home, it's just selecting to the beginning of the line the cursor is on instead of selecting up to the top lol
Same for me :(

rIKmAN

Ctrl+Home and Ctrl+End jump to the top/bottom of the code.

D

Dani

Drag-and-drop in resources tree got super clunky with this update. The item I'm moving goes to the top of the tree whenever the IDE feels like it.
Don't forget about this. Moving stuff around in the resource tree is a real pain now.

Y

Yazuka

Thanks for letting us know about that issue with Shift + Ctrl + Home/End, I've now added it to our bugs database.

K

Kuro

Is it possible to use the list data type to store references to game objects?

Update: Nevermind. I've since discovered that the list supports expressions, so references are already supported.

Last edited by a moderator:

rIKmAN

Thanks for letting us know about that issue with Shift + Ctrl + Home/End, I've now added it to our bugs database.
Please don't change normal Home / End use in the process of fixing it.

Last time it got changed as a side effect of fixing something else, I don't think I could cope with it going back to the awful non standard way it was again!

breakmt

I noticed one thing - if I do "Inherit Event" operation, there is no "event_inherited()" function in code. But blog post says that it should be there:
2017-12-15_215011.png

A

Ash

@rwkay

Hi, I am having a issue with my xbox one controller.
I am using the latest Mac version of GM 2.
the controller worked with the previous version, I had to map the buttons by using a object with this code :

draw_text(x,y,gamepad_button_count(0));

draw_text(x,y-20,gamepad_button_check(0,1)) draw_text(x+50,y-20,"1");
draw_text(x,y-40,gamepad_button_check(0,2)) draw_text(x+50,y-40,"2");
draw_text(x,y-60,gamepad_button_check(0,3)) draw_text(x+50,y-60,"3");
draw_text(x,y-80,gamepad_button_check(0,4)) draw_text(x+50,y-80,"4");
draw_text(x,y-100,gamepad_button_check(0,5)) draw_text(x+50,y-100,"5");
draw_text(x,y-120,gamepad_button_check(0,6)) draw_text(x+50,y-120,"6");
draw_text(x,y-140,gamepad_button_check(0,7)) draw_text(x+50,y-140,"7");
draw_text(x,y-160,gamepad_button_check(0,8)) draw_text(x+50,y-160,"8");
draw_text(x,y-180,gamepad_button_check(0,9)) draw_text(x+50,y-180,"9");
draw_text(x,y-200,gamepad_button_check(0,10)) draw_text(x+50,y-200,"10");
draw_text(x,y-220,gamepad_button_check(0,11)) draw_text(x+50,y-220,"11");
draw_text(x,y-240,gamepad_button_check(0,12)) draw_text(x+50,y-240,"12");
draw_text(x,y-260,gamepad_button_check(0,13)) draw_text(x+50,y-260,"13");
draw_text(x,y-280,gamepad_button_check(0,14)) draw_text(x+50,y-280,"14");
draw_text(x,y-300,gamepad_button_check(0,15)) draw_text(x+50,y-300,"15");
draw_text(x,y-320,gamepad_button_check(0,16)) draw_text(x+50,y-320,"16");
draw_text(x,y-340,gamepad_button_check(0,17)) draw_text(x+50,y-340,"17");
draw_text(x,y-360,gamepad_button_check(0,18)) draw_text(x+50,y-360,"18");
draw_text(x,y-380,gamepad_button_check(0,19)) draw_text(x+50,y-380,"19");
draw_text(x,y-400,gamepad_button_check(0,20)) draw_text(x+50,y-400,"20");
draw_text(x,y-420,gamepad_button_check(0,21)) draw_text(x+50,y-420,"21");
draw_text(x,y-440,gamepad_button_check(0,22)) draw_text(x+50,y-440,"22");

draw_text(x,y-460,gamepad_get_description(0)) ;
draw_text(x,y-480,gamepad_is_connected(0)) ;

It is still showing 22 inputs are available now.
In the previous version the buttons ended up being X = input 21, Y= input 12, A = input 18 and B = input 19.
but now when I test they aren't showing up in any of the 22 input slots. the analogs still work and the left and right triggers are still showing up in input slots 5 and 6 as they did in the previous version, so the controller is connected.
but A, B, X and Y are gone.
might anyone know what is going on?
I apologize in advance, I am somewhat new to GM so I assume I am missing something simple :)

Thanks

Awesome, thanks! :)

Please don't change normal Home / End use in the process of fixing it.
Don't worry, I'm just talking about holding down Shift when you try to do Ctrl+Home/End, but otherwise normal Ctrl+Home/End and normal Home/End are working perfectly, it's JUST when you're holding Shift to select that they don't work now. We're sooooo close to perfect Home/End functionality lol :)

breakmt

I've just tested this and it worked as expected for me and the code was there when I chose "Inherit Event".
I think I got it. I have "Preferences - Object Editor - Add default event content" is OFF (cause I don't like default comments). So, if this option is off then no "event_inherited()" will be added. This is not right in my opinion.

Ruimm

I think I got it. I have "Preferences - Object Editor - Add default event content" is OFF (cause I don't like default comments). So, if this option is off then no "event_inherited()" will be added. This is not right in my opinion.
you should be able to remove the default comment (just leave it blank) and still have the "Add default event content" turned on.

breakmt

you should be able to remove the default comment (just leave it blank) and still have the "Add default event content" turned on.
Yes, I removed comment and now I have 2 "problems":
1. Empty line
2. Comment that I don't want
2017-12-16_151539.png
Of course they are not real problems. But all I want is just one line with "event inherited();" without empty lines and comments :)

A

Andy

Is it safe to just keep setting up variables in the create event?

breakmt

Also, as it turned out, if I remove default comment and restart IDE - default comment is there again...

rIKmAN

Also, as it turned out, if I remove default comment and restart IDE - default comment is there again...
Again I've just tested this and once the comment is removed it doesn't reappear.

edit:
I should have tested it more than once before I posted - it does reappear, but not the first time the IDE is closed and reopened for me, usually the second or third.

It also seems to be related to leaving an empty event in an object when closing / restarting, but that might just be coincidence.

I've filed it as a bug.

Last edited:
E

Edmanbosch

I noticed that when using the light theme and editing object variables in the room editor the text is white.

Please, fix the resource tree. Moving/organizing resources are almost impossible with this version.
This! The resource tree got even worse than it was. Its a pain to move things around :(
Ran into problems trying to arrange things myself, but just wanted to narrow it down for Yoyo: It looks like when you drag a resource onto the bottom 2/3rds of another resource, it goes underneath them as expected, but if you drag it to the top 1/3rd, instead of going right above that resource it goes ALLLLL the way outside of the Groups to the very top of that section. So if you're moving stuff around inside like 3 levels of sub-groups your stuff is jumping outside of all those groups completely if you try to drop it on that top 1/3rd or another resource in there...even just inside one level of Grouping

For anyone struggling with it in the meantime just make sure to only drag resources to the bottom 2/3rds of other resource names and try to work around it just using that...it's inconvenient but it'll at least make sense lol

M

MoFaShi

Ran into problems trying to arrange things myself, but just wanted to narrow it down for Yoyo: It looks like when you drag a resource onto the bottom 2/3rds of another resource, it goes underneath them as expected, but if you drag it to the top 1/3rd, instead of going right above that resource it goes ALLLLL the way outside of the Groups to the very top of that section. So if you're moving stuff around inside like 3 levels of sub-groups your stuff is jumping outside of all those groups completely if you try to drop it on that top 1/3rd or another resource in there...even just inside one level of Grouping

For anyone struggling with it in the meantime just make sure to only drag resources to the bottom 2/3rds of other resource names and try to work around it just using that...it's inconvenient but it'll at least make sense lol
same problem.

With the Resource Tree I'd be happy just to even be able to like, click an item and hold Ctrl and use Up/Down to move it up/down the list lol

On the subject of the Resource Tree, as I go through cleaning stuff out it would be AMAZING to have some kind of filter/icon/color/italics/bold/anything that shows if a resource is being used anywhere in the project (even some kind of search/tool option that you have to run when you want to check it)...so like a sprite that isn't set as an Object's default sprite, isn't referenced in any Objects' code, isn't referred to in any Scripts, isn't placed in any Rooms, etc is listed in a secondary color like light grey or italicized or something.

GMS2 is amazingly fast for prototyping things out, but with prototyping comes a lot of temporary programmer art and duplicating sprites multiple times quickly to test variations and new ideas out and refactoring a lot of code to no longer use the temporary art etc, and it would be really handy to know "okay this sprite/sound/etc isn't referred to ANYWHERE in my project anymore, it's safe to delete this"

Right now we can do a search for the name of the resource in code, but can't tell if it's assigned to an Object or is used inside any Rooms.

Just my two cents as I clean up a bunch of prototype code :)

it would be really handy to know "okay this sprite/sound/etc isn't referred to ANYWHERE in my project anymore, it's safe to delete this"
Yes! Didn't GMS 1.4 have a find all references function to show where a resource was being used?

This would be very useful, especially a colour coding for non-used assets.

In theory it's possible to write an external tool for this, just read the id of the asset from the YY file of the asset, then search all the other files in the project for occurrences of that id, and build up report on what resource is used where.

Ran into problems trying to arrange things myself, but just wanted to narrow it down for Yoyo: It looks like when you drag a resource onto the bottom 2/3rds of another resource, it goes underneath them as expected, but if you drag it to the top 1/3rd, instead of going right above that resource it goes ALLLLL the way outside of the Groups to the very top of that section.
I'm getting this when I drag a resource and try to place it in the first place of a group (mouse over the top half of the first item in the group). The resource (or group if dragging a group) will then jump to the next higher group in the resource tree, or sometimes all the way to the top level of the tree.

@BPOutlaws_Jeff I don't suppose you have logged these two items as bugs/requests yet?