• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

MQTT support

G

gjt211

First off, sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum. I looked through each forum trying to decide where to ask this question and hopefully correctly decided on this one. Please advise if I am incorrect.

I would like to be able to use the MQTT messaging protocol with network connection.
For those that don't know do a quick web search for MQTT. Simply, it is a lightweight publish/subscribe messaging system for use over various networks. I use Mosquitto MQTT and Paho MQTT on my web servers for publish/subscribe messaging. It is also widely used for IoT.

Now I would like to be able to use Gamemaker with these messaging systems. Is there any way to build/compile or incorporate a 'C' source code file into Gamemaker?... Or possibly is YoYo games possibly thinking of including this in a future release?

Thank you in advance.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Is there any way to build/compile or incorporate a 'C' source code file into Gamemaker?....
You can't incorporate anything "into GameMaker". But you can include extensions with exported GM games you create. (Perhaps that's what you meant.) Windows games can use DLL extensions, HTML5 games can use Javascript extensions, etc. Check the GM manual for "extensions" to see all the options.

There are also built-in networking features that you might find sufficient for your needs.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Yes, you can do this via an extension - but you'll have to write it yourself. HTTP "post" and HTTP "get" are built in, so if you're talking to webservers perhaps you could use a REST API instead if you can't create an extension?

Is there an extension "MQTT Client" now?
I found it is a nice idea to connect Games with Things in Smart Home or Smart Wear or Smart Toys.

MQTT is a communication protocoll to connect many things with the MQTT broker.
The priority of this protocol is fast and low bandwide communication.
These are the programming languages that can support MQTT:

Actionscript
Bash
C
C++
Clojure
Dart
Delphi
Erlang
Elixir
  • hulaaki - An Elixir library (driver) for clients communicating with MQTT brokers(via the MQTT 3.1.1 protocol).

• Exmqttc - Elixir wrapper for the emqttc library.
Go
Haskell
Java
Javascript / Node.js
LotusScript
Lua
.NET / dotNET
Objective-C
OCaml
Perl
PHP
Python
REXX
Prolog
  • MQTT Pack - Mosquitto library as a SWI-Prolog pack
Ruby
Qt
  • qmqtt - MQTT Client for Qt
Shell Script
  • bish-bosh, supports bash, ash (including BusyBox), pdksh and mksh.
Smalltalk
Swift
  • CocoaMQTT - An MQTT client for iOS and OS X written with Swift
Tcl
SOURCE: https://github.com/mqtt/mqtt.github.io/wiki/libraries

MQTT in GML will make GameMaker more Smart ;-)