Legacy GM Looking for Lan tutorial

R

Rodimus

Hello!

I'm looking for good LAN tutorial, but can't find any. I try to understand the one with GameMaker studio, but contains so mani variables and jumpings between instances, i can't follow or reproduce. I want simply create a server, and broadcast, and the clients see the server, but nothing works.

O

onishounen

You're welcome, I looked a bit deeper into that thread, but it looks like the link to his tutorial (the .rtf, rich text file) has gone 404. I've PM'd FatalSleep here on the new forums, but he/she hasn't been active since Sept 4, 2017.

R

Rodimus

Yes, I saw that, but no problem, I found a tutorial on youtube, and looks like now I understand. i can create a server and broadcast the game, and get the game on the server side. There is one think left - I want to find out how to hande if players go to multiply locations. For example: on of them is in a cave, while the others is somewhere else.

O

onishounen

I'm not the expert on this, but the simplest way I could think of having players move to other screens / rooms is to have the client handle who draws which player. If efficiency is needed for something like an MMO, you'll probably want the server to select who gets what data and how much. This is something you're going to want to have a pre-determined plan for, imo.

Also, I looked further FatalSleep's twitter has a link to a different host with the latest updates (buffers and data structures) he/she ever made to the tutorial:
https://twitter.com/fatalsleep/status/412423445251489792?lang=en
and the actual file is hosted here:
http://host-a.net/u/FatalSleep/NetworkingTutorial.rtf

The-any-Key

on of them is in a cave, while the others is somewhere else.
You can solve this by different approaches and with different difficulties.
1# (not that hard to do): Make the game in one room and have the game world in chunks on the server.
2# (quite hard to do): Make one client "acting" server in the current room and make him update and run game world data to send to server with some data validation checks.
3# (hard to do): Create a dedicated server that run world data in nodeJS or any other language and host it on a Linux server.