• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android GMS 2 Debugger Ever Worked To Anyone On Android?

T

Trasoside

dunno, maybe I'm dumb or missing something, but I've been trying to debug my game on the android platform with game maker studio 2 (GMS 2.1.0.144) for 2 days now,
and it just won't work.
there's a red/yellow blinking circle in the debugger and when I hover on it it says:
"connecting to game..."
"no connection to game"

• Device is connected to my PC via USB cable.
  • Device is on the same WiFi.
  • Run (F5) does work.
  • in Game Maker Studio 1.4 android debug does work.
  • When I tried importing a GMS 1.4 working small project to GMS 2 and debug it, it just showed a splash screen, then device was stuck on a black screen and debugger could not connect.
  • When I tried debugging a new GMS 2 project the same thing happend.
  • Tried to restart gms, computer and device.
  • In GM 1.4 I could config the ip it connected to, in GM2 i can't.
  • Tried to disable my firewall and it didn't help.
  • I'm using Windows 10 and shiomi redmi note 4.
I guess GM 2 debugger supports windows only? because I haven't seen it written anywhere on the internet and never saw anyone claiming to successfully run the GM 2 debugger on the android platform.
If anyone have any information about it or suggestions please comment..

10-02 00:55:11.845 27477 27491 I yoyo : ...Waiting for debugger to connect...

10-02 00:55:11.846 27477 27491 I yoyo : android.software.leanback = 0

10-02 00:55:11.846 27477 27491 I yoyo : MANUFACTURER = Xiaomi

10-02 00:55:12.124 27477 27477 I yoyo : Setting vis flags to 5894

10-02 00:55:12.142 27477 27477 I yoyo : Setting vis flags to 5894

10-02 00:55:12.229 27477 27477 I yoyo : Setting vis flags to 5894

10-02 00:55:12.237 27477 27477 I yoyo : Setting vis flags to 5894

thank you very much.
Rom.

gnysek

You have programmers options and all that stuff enabled on you phone, right ?

There will be new release (2.1.1) soon, so if there's a bug maybe it's already fixed there.

T

Trasoside

You have programmers options and all that stuff enabled on you phone, right ?

There will be new release (2.1.1) soon, so if there's a bug maybe it's already fixed there.
Yeah, I have them enabled. As I mentioned, in GM 1.4 debug mode does work.
Dunno whether it's a bug or they never ment gm2 debug mode to support android because i couldn't find anything on the web about it.
I guess I'll just have to wait for the new release which is kinda sad :/
Thanks

T

Trasoside

bump?
Still doesn't work, even in 2.1.1 :\
does anyone know if GMS 2 supports android debugging?
or am I the only one having troubles trying to debug android
I submitted a a bug report, waiting for response too..

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Debugger works fine for me on Android. Could your AV/Firewall be interfering?

clee2005

@Trasoside you aren't alone. With the default settings I can't get the debugger to attach to my Android device either, but have no trouble with the same setup and 1.4.

I can build to it fine and it's connected and properly recognized as a device but once you hit F6 it builds and then uploads to the device and even starts up (I see the loading screen)... then goes black and the debug dot stays YELLOW "Connecting to game..." and flashes RED occasionally.

Any advice @Nocturne ? I don't have any anti-virus going, and I disabled my firewall. Also tried on 3 different Android devices all with the same result.

Last edited:
T

Trasoside

@Trasoside you aren't alone. With the default settings I can't get the debugger to attach to my Android device either, but have no trouble with the same setup and 1.4.

I can build to it fine and it's connected and properly recognized as a device but once you hit F6 it builds and then uploads to the device and even starts up (I see the loading screen)... then goes black and the debug dot stays YELLOW "Connecting to game..." and flashes RED occasionally.

Any advice @Nocturne ? I don't have any anti-virus going, and I disabled my firewall. Also tried on 3 different Android devices all with the same result.
I updated to IDE v2.1.12.257 and Runtime v2.1.2.172 and now it works :)
it's still kinda sad that we can't configure it to a device ip like it was in gm 1.4, we have to depend on luck \;
I had few times that it stopped working, what I did was disconnecting the device from wifi and reconnecting it or restarting GMS IDE, but I think in your case you just have to update your ide/runtime

clee2005

Thanks @Trasoside I am already on that version of IDE and runtime and it still doesn't connect. I have another machine however that does seem to work so it's definitely something in that environment.... it's just not clear what it is. I'll definitely update this when I figure it out.

Cheers,
Chris

T

Trasoside

Thanks @Trasoside I am already on that version of IDE and runtime and it still doesn't connect. I have another machine however that does seem to work so it's definitely something in that environment.... it's just not clear what it is. I'll definitely update this when I figure it out.

Cheers,
Chris
Hmm interesting.. Maybe it's because I installed lots of sdk 💩💩💩💩s from android studio sdk manager? I installed like almost everything it had to offer so I can't specify exactly what did the trick

M

MarceloP

Well... I'm having this issue as well. Using runtime 2.1.4.200. It seems to be a problem related to VSync because before I get the black screen I get a lot of messages like "| yoyo : vsync timeout..."

Console Output

GDK

i got this just now which happened after enabling code responsible for intersttitial ads... hmmmm.........

M

MarceloP

I'm still having this issue with Runtime v2.1.5.246 and IDE v2.1.5.322.
I've disabled my firewall, and I don't have anything running that could be blocking programs or anything like that.

My console output is Here (too big to post, and also pretty similar to what I had in my post 4 months ago)

G

Necro'ing, suddenly started having this problem today: running to phone works fine, but using the debugger results in a black screen on the phone and "vsync timeout" repeated in the console. What's odd is that it was working earlier today, and then stopped. I cleaned all caches for GMS2 and phone, rebooted both sides, and even tried using yesterday's build to make sure I didn't break something in code.

Anyone find a fix?

G

This is very annoying. It randomly sometimes works with my actual phone, but no longer works with an AVD, which is critical because I need to make sure my scheme for dealing with aspect-ratio black bars works on all aspect ratios.

I've tried doing a complete uninstall of GMS2 (including manual removal of the residual folders in appdata roaming and local), reinstalling with most recent versions of IDE and runner, deleting and recreating the AVD, trying a different AVD, trying different API settings, trying a blank project, disabling my firewall, and of course rebooting/restarting everything multiple times.

Here's my console log: https://pastebin.com/qWywfLSA

I'll submit a bug. There was a previous, identical bug 0027759, "Debugger: Debugger doesn't connect, project stuck pre-splash, on certain Android devices," but it was decided that it was an issue only with Android 6. There was also a bug where the debugger wouldn't connect if commas were used in the file path (seriously, who does that), but that's not an issue here either.

@clee2005 did you ever find a resolution?

Last edited by a moderator:

Qual

facing the same issue :/

black screen on the phone and "vsync timeout" repeated in the console

S

sodap

facing the same issue :/

black screen on the phone and "vsync timeout" repeated in the console
I also get a black screen, it gets stuck on "I/yoyo (28913): ...Waiting for debugger to connect..."

Yozamu

I believe necroing this topic isn't a bad idea, since the issue is still here 4 years later
I do not have the vsync messages, but I've never been able to run the debugger on Android, even though the debugger works fine for Windows, and game also runs fine on Android without debugger

I was able to get this working by making sure I connected my PC and device to the same wifi network.

When I use my PC's wired connection, it gets stuck waiting to connect.