Demo Lane [NEW UPDATE] (v0.4)

W

Whirlpoolio

Hey everybody!

I just want to thank you for clicking the link and visiting my game thread! I just want to tell you about Lane (Name has changed!) is being made, only with GameMaker: Studio 1.4. Its a project I've just started on developing and its coming along nicely.

Now lets get on to the game...

Some GIFs

Your father left you. Your stepdad infected your soul. Your mother banished him but you knew he wouldn't stay there forever. You train to get your stamina, swordsman ship and skill - waiting for the moment he returns. He did return, more powerful than ever. Only YOU can save us. Kill him and his minions!

Textbox:
Space - Move onto next textbox
Left Click - Load text in textbox quickly
Player:
WASD - Movement
Left Click - Melee/Attack (If there is a bullet near you then and you left click, it deflects it to near the enemy)
Shift - Dash
Some General Controls:
Arrow keys - Switch button on the menu
Enter - Do that certain action on the menu
Drag the slider - Changes gain/volume of the music
Click the back button - Go back to the previous room
Update v0.4 includes...
Generally:
~ Fixed some bugs
~ Added sprites to enemies
~ Added 'knight' enemy

Dungeon (first room) features:
~ Made the first room (dungeon) look nicer and have a kinda secret room
~ Door that unlocks once you kill all the knights and transports you to the snow mountain room
Snow Mountain (New room) features:
~ You cannot fall off
~ Only mages!
~ It's a new room
~ Looks noice :D

Bugs:
~ You can walk over the gaps in the snow mountain room.
~ Door opens really really really really slowly
~ Dead end no snow mountain room
~ Secret room doesn't blend in when standing in some areas and is pretty obvious...
~ Saving only saves what room you are in and your health.
(It DOESN'T save the enemies you have killed - but I am working on it)

Download here

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Whirlpoolio

Download is coming soon, just need to fix a few bugs and v0.1 is done! Currently on phone so it may come tonight or tomorrow

W

Whirlpoolio

Update 1:
I added:
- a textbox so it explains the story - Will work on it more so it is better :D
- Fixed a few bugs
- Changed some settings to improve performance
- Implemented cool enemy death + made it zoom to the dead enemy (Makes it look lit)

W

Whirlpoolio

New v0.2 should be downloadable and run better + fixed some bugs

W

Whirlpoolio

Update coming soon... Watch out for a custom health bar and a cooler title screen + some cool new sounds (and maybe music)!

W

Whirlpoolio

Sorry for the late update but I've pushed to go on to v0.4 which has some new pixel art and game mechanic's! Coming today or tomorrow, I promise!

W

Whirlpoolio

My review :D
I'm skipping v0.3 and making 0.4 because I just didn't like it and 0.4 has tiles, new sprites, rooms and features. Trying to perfect it so you have to dash over a gap and if you try and walk over it, you can't because it automatically doesn't let you! :)
Sorry about this!

W

Whirlpoolio

Version 0.4 is here with new rooms, sprites and features!
I also made it a zip and a standalone exe for those who need one! :D

U

Ukaygee

I get an error when I open the .exe! :(

Here's the error message if it helps :
Code:
############################################################################################
ERROR in
action number 1
of Other Event: Game Start
for object obj_music_controller:

File is not opened for reading.
at gml_Script_scr_loadgame
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_scr_loadgame (line 0)
gml_Object_obj_music_controller_Other_2
I really want to play!

W

Whirlpoolio

I get an error when I open the .exe! :(

Here's the error message if it helps :
Code:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Other Event: Game Start
for object obj_music_controller:

File is not opened for reading.
at gml_Script_scr_loadgame
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_scr_loadgame (line 0)
gml_Object_obj_music_controller_Other_2
I really want to play!
Will fix soon... It was an error on my half I think - I tried and load a file that doesn't exist :/

EDIT: Fixed! Just had to remove a game start event and wa-lah! Problem solved - Enjoy playing ^.^

U

Ukaygee

I like the art, and I like the music!
However, I can't seem to move nor use my melee ability.
Also, I recommend you create your own character sprite, as if you release this game, it's best to have your own artwork.

W

Whirlpoolio

I like the art, and I like the music!
However, I can't seem to move nor use my melee ability.
Also, I recommend you create your own character sprite, as if you release this game, it's best to have your own artwork.
I don't know why you cant melee... Is this in the dungeon/snow mountain or in the menu? Check the controls?

Someone is doing character sprites but may take a week or two

U

Ukaygee

When I've finished the story line, when the first 2 minions come to attack me, I can't move or do anything

N

nlolotte

Have you tried it yet?
Just tried it, it's good.

Pros:
The game works relatively well and is a good base to build more on. Obviously being a very early version it's lacking features but it does make me look forward to the next version. The animation is nice and glitch free and I really like the trail effect.

Cons:
I didn't really like the control scheme. My personal opinion is games suit arrow keys and ZXAS for actions better. The dash feature is cool but if you press shift on the menu you can see the player dash. The zoom in effect when defeating enemies is cool but kinda takes your attention off the action when your swarmed. That leads me to my last point the enemies hunt you down from the very moment you start. It would be nice to do some sort of quest to get used to the game like go find a sword be forced into a situation where I have to use it etc...

W

Whirlpoolio

Just tried it, it's good.

Pros:
The game works relatively well and is a good base to build more on. Obviously being a very early version it's lacking features but it does make me look forward to the next version. The animation is nice and glitch free and I really like the trail effect.

Cons:
I didn't really like the control scheme. My personal opinion is games suit arrow keys and ZXAS for actions better. The dash feature is cool but if you press shift on the menu you can see the player dash. The zoom in effect when defeating enemies is cool but kinda takes your attention off the action when your swarmed. That leads me to my last point the enemies hunt you down from the very moment you start. It would be nice to do some sort of quest to get used to the game like go find a sword be forced into a situation where I have to use it etc...
Yeah! I just pushed to get the game demo out and I'm thinking of starting off with an easy level to convey the story. Also how are the controls bad and what would you suggest to change them to?
I place the player object in the init room and I make it invisible but the draw event overrides that so I'll fix later. How does it take your attention away? Maybe if I had a wave of enemies (three at a time or something) that would probably make the effect work better and look nicer but not distract you.

Thanks for the feedback and I'll change some things and tweek the enemy system. Hopefully it will become a great game!

N

nlolotte

It definitely has potential. I personally don't like using the mouse for top down rpgs and feel that it should replicate a snes controller:
z - A
x - B
a - X
s - Y
backspace - select
enter - start
arrows - move

Perhaps custom controls in a later version?

The zoom effect is very cool and i like it alot I just think maybe its a little too fast and happens too often. now if you had a mechanic where sometimes you land a critical hit (like a 1 hit kill) and the camera zoomed in that would work better.

Overall it's definitely got potential and i'll continue to keep an eye on the project!

W

Whirlpoolio

It definitely has potential. I personally don't like using the mouse for top down rpgs and feel that it should replicate a snes controller:
z - A
x - B
a - X
s - Y
backspace - select
enter - start
arrows - move

Perhaps custom controls in a later version?

The zoom effect is very cool and i like it alot I just think maybe its a little too fast and happens too often. now if you had a mechanic where sometimes you land a critical hit (like a 1 hit kill) and the camera zoomed in that would work better.

Overall it's definitely got potential and i'll continue to keep an eye on the project!
Yes! Thanks for the reply - I'm going to add custom keys (following SlasherX's tut). The crit hit system may be hard but I may keep it for now but only happens once even when you kill multiple enemies at once!

N

nlolotte

I’ve got a good chance script for calculating critical hits I’m at work atm but I can help you with it later