Alpha IzoProject - Isometric Story Driven Boss Battle ARPG

F

Felipe Rybakovas

I'm confused. If it's not split-screen (ie, multiple players at one computer), why would one player need/want to see that much information about the other player's interface? Users have their own screens and systems, so using up that much screen space for another user's HUD doesn't make a lot of sense.
Oh... i think you misunderstood what I said(and me too lol).... The View it´s not splited, the view just got enlarged by zoom out.. but the coop is couch coop not via LAN or Internet..

CMAllen

Oh... i think you misunderstood what I said(and me too lol).... The View it´s not splited, the view just got enlarged by zoom out.. but the coop is couch coop not via LAN or Internet..
Oh! That makes more sense. I guess, if the users can't move beyond a certain distance from each other, the screen doesn't technically 'split' in that sense, but it is split/shared between them.

F

Felipe Rybakovas

Oh! That makes more sense. I guess, if the users can't move beyond a certain distance from each other, the screen doesn't technically 'split' in that sense, but it is split/shared between them.
You got it! ;)

Z

zendraw

btw, arent the lights too intense? so much so that they pretty much destroy w/e texture you use?

F

Felipe Rybakovas

btw, arent the lights too intense? so much so that they pretty much destroy w/e texture you use?
Yeah they are... I can see that on gifs... My laptop screen is IPS and then the game become much darker

I started to use a TV monitor together now to get the right brightness for the game, but I´ll do it when rework the level creation, this going to happen before the demo...

Btw this is the roadmap for the demo

Morendral

Hey guys!

Just finished the 2P COOP UI and implemented it on the game...
Give me your impressions and if looks good enough

So here it´s in detail

If you cannot see the image : http://rybakovas.me/izoproject/images/hud2pdetail.gif

And into the game screen
I like the 2p UI the best, tbh. I really like the graphical effect of the two orbs, but I prefer the minimal screen real estate that the 2p one offers.

Hey guys!

Just finished the 2P COOP UI and implemented it on the game...
Give me your impressions and if looks good enough

So here it´s in detail

If you cannot see the image : http://rybakovas.me/izoproject/images/hud2pdetail.gif

And into the game screen
I like it a lot, well organized and easy to understand at a glance. I'd almost recommend that you use the same one (on left) for single player mode too.

F

Felipe Rybakovas

I like it a lot, well organized and easy to understand at a glance. I'd almost recommend that you use the same one (on left) for single player mode too.
I like the 2p UI the best, tbh. I really like the graphical effect of the two orbs, but I prefer the minimal screen real estate that the 2p one offers.
Hey thanks for the feedback!

I´m getting splited opnions on this... Some people liked more the 1P hud and another prefer the 2P...

I think the optimal solution for this would let an option to choose either one or another... It´s not that hard to do.

F

Felipe Rybakovas

Hey,

Just realized that today IzoProject is already one year on development!
So I came here just to post some videos of earlier prototypes of the game, so you can compare a little the evolution!

F

Felipe Rybakovas

Hey guys!!

So I was MIA in the last week because I got sick... Also, I´ve being working heavy on optmization these days.... If I cant run the game into a satisfy performance, I really cant continue with the idea / project.

So, after all this.... I´m back with the rework on the HUD.

These is a concept image of the equip / status / skill new UI

Below this the inventory will come. So what you think about it ????

All this still WIP so every suggestion is very welcome.

F

Felipe Rybakovas

So I´m back with the progress on the UI.

This is the results until now! The last third image it´s a tooltip to show information on skills and items

F

Felipe Rybakovas

So i Think i reached a final design on the subject!

Those are the results :

And a tooltip example :

Share with me what you think about it!

Z

zendraw

i like it that its simple, i assume the gameplay is also gona be simple and straightforeward? can you tell us like what were gona look at when we make our character? like in diablo u look at stats, resistances, skills, synergies, requirements, and such.

F

Felipe Rybakovas

i like it that its simple, i assume the gameplay is also gona be simple and straightforeward? can you tell us like what were gona look at when we make our character? like in diablo u look at stats, resistances, skills, synergies, requirements, and such.
Hey Thanks for the feedback!!

It´s supposed to be a simplified Diablo 2, with roguelike elements!

The Character creation will be with random status, since if you die you´ll lose your character.
On creation you´ll set:

Name
Roll random status / perks

I´m thinking to give also random perks, for example.... Super strong but very dumb.... OR cant equip this type of weapon and so on... But still in design.

The game progress will not be lost with the character if he dies, since all the skills unlocked/discovery and the things that you´ve done before will continue in that world registered by a book that is written by a NPC.
But the equips with your char will be lost. You´ll have a stash to store the items you might want keep for later.

So for example, if you die for a boss... This boss will be stronger in the next playtrought and you´ll see more mobs that are minions of that boss. If you kill him, a new boss will arise and so on.
IF you unlock 5 skills on the last playtrought, all those 5 skills will be there to set from the beggining of the next play session.

The gameplays combat is focused in skills set combos! Not status or equips... But this is a Diablo spiritual successor so I had to put loot on it.
For equipment we will have :

Weapon -> This will work as the primary skill attack! When you equip a weapon, the weapon skill will be set as the primary/basic. With that you´ll arrange your gameplay style or to fit different situations.
Armor -> Will give some kind of defense from dmg. But the main reason on that is really visual customization. I´m planning to render some special armors... Like a Link(from zelda) armor. With this I want to keep the player looking for grind special armor or complete special quests to have those kind of armors.
Accesory -> Will add a mutator to your character, for example... you can equip a ring that doubles your speed... or double the number of projectiles... or give a special ability.. things like that.

But the status will have a build feeling aswell.

The status will follow the behaviour :
Str -> Max Life and physical strenght(If you equip bare hands, you can deal melee dmg for example)
Int -> Max Mana and Magical Dmg(Will be important because will affect the final damage of the skills)
Dex -> Char move speed and before was also the stamina bar for melee attacks.

To level the status up, you´ll need to spend souls that will drop from the mobs that you kill. Every point you spend will double the cost to pass another one... Dark Souls feeling.

There will not have any kind of resistance or other kind of complex calculation for the dmg and etc...

The final feeling that I want to pass is that you´ll be playing some kind of arcade Diablo 2.... Feeling playing a classic ARPG, but without spend hours and hours on grind and leveling up...

Just skill combo set madness and killing mobs.

Z

zendraw

i like the 'history' idea. i had a similar idea where, you play with ninjas and as you fight you get a vision of a new weapon to fight better that demon and it gets unlocked in the safe house, but if you die the knowledge remains for other ninjas to use.
i will defenetly try the game.

F

Felipe Rybakovas

i like the 'history' idea. i had a similar idea where, you play with ninjas and as you fight you get a vision of a new weapon to fight better that demon and it gets unlocked in the safe house, but if you die the knowledge remains for other ninjas to use.
i will defenetly try the game.
Yeah! This is more or less the same, but with the skill knowledge! =D

Great to hear that! I hope to have a demo until the end of the year!!! =)

F

Felipe Rybakovas

Hey folks!!

So... Those last weeks are being not so good for the game development...

Many things happens at home and at work has burned me alot...

So today I was able to do a return to my UI refactor (Yes, I still burned out doing optmization code... )

This are tooltips colorized by shader based on the skill icon that it has. This is the implementation of the other concept that I´ve posted above!

if you cannot see the image : http://rybakovas.me/izoproject/images/NEW_TOOLTIP.gif

So what do you think ??

F

Felipe Rybakovas

Personally I like what you are doing with it. Is the artwork all original?
Thanks for the feedback!

No, it´s not.

The icons are most from Flare RPG(Very nice open source project and was where i started to learn isometric) and some other also open sourced from opengameart.org .

I´m little by little investing on art now to build the art direction that i want.

The new UI pieces where bought but I´ve worked with photoshop and paint. NET to achieve what i wanted.

They look too much generic ??

I´m no artist and I´m doing this project lone wolf... so I try to spare time with the things that I can mostly... and improving then as long as i can see future in these project.

Morendral

Not at all, I don't think it to generic. I think it looks good, and fits as well. I'm no artist either, so take my opinion for what it's worth. I would definitely say that you have a good direction for your assets, which is almost as good as making them yourself if you can have someone else put them together for you.

BTW, I was thinking about your orbs and was wondering if it might make sense to incorporate that effect in similar ways throughout the rest of your UI. It's damn impressive, and imo, a waste to not use more of a cool effect

Z

zendraw

id like to play the game, for me it matters how it fits with it, not so much how hd or well made it is. as it is it looks nice.

F

Felipe Rybakovas

Not at all, I don't think it to generic. I think it looks good, and fits as well. I'm no artist either, so take my opinion for what it's worth. I would definitely say that you have a good direction for your assets, which is almost as good as making them yourself if you can have someone else put them together for you.
Hey man, thanks! Im really trying to do something that do no look any generic... so this is a big win for me.

BTW, I was thinking about your orbs and was wondering if it might make sense to incorporate that effect in similar ways throughout the rest of your UI. It's damn impressive, and imo, a waste to not use more of a cool effect
In fact I´m thinking in use in another bars! Maybe into the BOSS Information... I really liked how the orbs ended up, but I need to think where this can fit...

Do you have any suggestion? =))

F

Felipe Rybakovas

id like to play the game, for me it matters how it fits with it, not so much how hd or well made it is. as it is it looks nice.
Hey blacklemon, I´m really happy that you have interesting to see how the game is wrapping up.

Now what I have it´s a solid common roguelike. You can equips itens,skills, go to a random generated dungeon that progress with your level, fight alone or coop, gain exp point and spend then to level up and talk with some NPC´s.
If you die, you can place your name at an offline or online rank.

So what I dont want now it´s to show that and people target it as another generic roguelike game... Need to implement the whole idea of the progress book yet and the first boss. (Also a rework on how the level is be generated)
For the demo the experience will be more directed... with fixed events to introduce the player into the game mechanics.

But this on the way... Just stopped a little bit to do code because I was overwhelmed after doing so much optmization code... also the UI before was way too simple and ugly.

And I agree with you... I´m also a guy that looks more how the game plays than it looks... BUT
In one way or another.... Graphics aesthetics matter. I think is something that also matters when someone that dont know your game take a look at him in the first time.

Z

zendraw

oh i didnt say that graphics dont matter, i meant how they communicate with the rest is what i look at. also no problem, i just menioned at what stage i like to sit down and explore a game, take ur time and good luck.

F

Felipe Rybakovas

oh i didnt say that graphics dont matter, i meant how they communicate with the rest is what i look at. also no problem, i just menioned at what stage i like to sit down and explore a game, take ur time and good luck.
Thanks mate!! I´ll push me forward to delivery the best experience that I can delivery! =)

RangerX

F

Felipe Rybakovas

Much to be honest, I prefer that compact version. I would have this in single player too.
Maybe an Option for your game?

Option / Hud style / "Full size" or "Compact"
Hey, This is already there! You can change on the fly.

I had differents opinions about it. Was more or like.... Older people would like more the full size... And younger more the compact size lol.
So... I just let the player choose at the single player! =)

F

Felipe Rybakovas

Hey guys...

Just a quick preview what I´m working now..

image link: http://rybakovas.me/izoproject/images/ComboGIF.gif

So what for a combo system ?

This works for 2 things.

1- Multiply the score.
2- Multiply mana orb drops from monsters.

With this I want to resolve some situations. First, to reward the player's ability, since when you kill a mob, he often drop mana orbs... With the combo, this mana orbs would multiply by the number.... Giving the player a boost to continue attacking and killing.
the time gap between then is 5 secs.

Does this text rumble effect is enough to demonstrate the combo time ?

And also a nice score multiply to the final highscore(online and offline)
My current max combo was 46 =)
There is titles until 150.... lol.

I´m working on the ultimate skill system and first script now... Then I´ll post a new gameplay video to demonstrate.

Demo is almost there! =)

Why is the lighting/shadow alpha image in circular shape?
It would be correct for top down view, but in isometric if you cast it to the ground, it will actually form an ellipse based on the camera view, which is incorrect.

F

Felipe Rybakovas

It would be correct for top down view, but in isometric if you cast it to the ground, it will actually form an ellipse based on the camera view, which is incorrect.
Hey you´re correct.

I´m using top down light mask for now. Will be fixed in the right time.

F

Felipe Rybakovas

Hey, got to fix that after you pointed out.... Just couldnt ignore anymore after that... lol

is good enough ?

Perfect. Now the object that's a light source shouldn't be affected by the mask, would remove that weird effect it has (fire is darker than the floor the lamp is sitting on)
Sorry, I just like to nitpick :D There's plenty of more where that came from.

F

Felipe Rybakovas

Perfect. Now the object that's a light source shouldn't be affected by the mask, would remove that weird effect it has (fire is darker than the floor the lamp is sitting on)
Sorry, I just like to nitpick :D There's plenty of more where that came from.
Oh, no problem at all, feel free to give then all! You´re very welcome to do it. =)

Z

zendraw

if we are to be nitpicky, the lamp shuldnt have a shadow and the character shadow is wrong, perhaps make it a blob, it may seem a lazy solution, but that doesnt mean its the worst one, it just might be exact thing it needs. with all the 'effort' talk that surrounds indie games i think some people just do mroe 'complex' things out of guilt or w/e.

F

Felipe Rybakovas

The walls have a slight problem, they don't align perfectly at their foundation, why is that?
Is a issue with the tile spancing in the level generator.

The next step on the roadmap is to refactor all the level generation code. Also will add some organic level generation to it, fix a bunch of things and also create a level editor(so i could build custom levels for the game faster and better).

Then the player will have a organic section until find the dungeon for the quest.(like diablo 2)

F

Felipe Rybakovas

if we are to be nitpicky, the lamp shuldnt have a shadow and the character shadow is wrong, perhaps make it a blob, it may seem a lazy solution, but that doesnt mean its the worst one, it just might be exact thing it needs. with all the 'effort' talk that surrounds indie games i think some people just do mroe 'complex' things out of guilt or w/e.
Yeah the torch in fact still a place holder... I want to put a wall torch on the edges of the room instead.

The shadow of the char is already baked on the sprite... I really dont want to lose much time on blender now to render the animations... so will be as it´s for a while. So I think I´m following the lazy path for now LOL;