• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE How to export and import multiple assets at once?

Carbon

I can't seem to find the way to import multiple assets at once. First of all, the .yy files are all inside their own folders, so say if I need to import 100 objects, I will need to get to each folder and reach for the .yy file manually.

Then once I have painstakingly done all that, GMS2 doesn't seem to allow to "Add from existing" from multiple files at once! I have to do them manually. Is it really like this or I just don't know how? Selecting from explorer and dragging inside GMS2 doesn't work as well.

S

Siracher

I searched for a solution and then decided it takes less time to do it manually compared to keep on searching ;)

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
A short cut is to create a marketplace asset with everything you want to copy, upload it, set it to private and Free and then download and import it into your project.

Russell

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
A short cut is to create a marketplace asset with everything you want to copy, upload it, set it to private and Free and then download and import it into your project.

Russell
That's not really a shortcut relative to what GMS 1.x can do, which is creating asset packages locally without committing to a marketplace-wide package ID or a publisher certificate. Why was that feature removed from GMS 2.x in the first place, and are there plans for adding it back?

Look, not every batch transfer is meant to be reusable in the long run, and making people rely on the cloud for routine local batch operations is a cause for serious concern.

rIKmAN

Gotta agree with @FrostyCat - the first thing that came into my mind when reading that reply from Russell was: "That doesn't seem like much of a shortcut".

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Well it is more of a shortcut than having to pick individual files...

Mike is the IDE man so I will leave it to him to answer if he wants.

Russell

M

MarceloP

Hello.

I'm kindda sad about this topic. I can't see my private assets on the IDE inside the "My Library" menu, nor can I import any ".yymp" file anymore. Since the market was not working on the IDE last time, I imported an asset package simply by D&Ding the ".yymp" file into the IDE with my project already opened.

Now at IDE v2.1.4.288 I simply can't download from the "My Library" (since my own assets doesn't show up) and can't D&D the ".yymp" file.

Here at our company we have a lot of code that is reusable and we do need to import most of it every time we start a new Project. I believe (and checked in the forum) that many people have already been complaining about this bug/problem/issue for more than a year now. But now I can't even D&D my assets into my project? I guess GM2 is not taking some problems seriously....

Many have also complained about having to upload your work to the Market Place when all you want is to have reusable code (private code) to use on other projects. People already accepted that they have to upload private stuff, set it at FREE price and set it on the website to private only not to show at the marketplace. This, by itself, is completely wrong, but at least we could download the ".yymp" file and import it to our projects. But now, not even that.... Me and my company colleagues are getting completely frustrated with some problems on GM2's IDE.

I guess that's it. I won't fire another bug report, since many people have already fired their on tickets on this subject and I have other 2 tickets that are already almost 1 month in the so called "support queue" (which I guess mean someone will, eventually, look at it and check if they are valid, even though I've posted screenshots and a ultra simple code with it).

/*************************************** Edited ***************************************/

Reading even more about this problem, a guy (LazyEye) went ahead and did your work, creating a tool that may help me.... Check this post and this link.

/*************************************** Edited 2 ***************************************/

I may have found an even better solution for this. Since my own assets weren't showing at the menu "My Library", I decided to risk whatever was my code and set my asset at the market place to "Off Sale" instead of "Private" and, all of a sudden, I'm able to see my own packages inside "My Library". I hope this helps other people with this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

lazyeo

my solution:

1. Create a room called "assets_room" (or else what you like)
2. Drag all the objects you want to export into this room
3. Create a new project
4. Import the "assets_room" .yy file
5. Done

maybe you can try this :)

cev987

my solution:

1. Create a room called "assets_room" (or else what you like)
2. Drag all the objects you want to export into this room
3. Create a new project
4. Import the "assets_room" .yy file
5. Done

maybe you can try this :)
You saved me a hell of a time thank you Lazyeo!

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
You saved me a hell of a time thank you Lazyeo!
Hey! There is currently a "new" (added a long time) method of adding multiple assets. As this post is from 2017, it currently didn't exist yet, but now there is this:
Tools > Create/Import Local Package

You can add files and folders individually or all:

This will generate a single file package. Then just import into another project.