• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.1.1.241

K

ken miller

Yes, I have to second the bug in the new Runner.exe creating a new temp folder every time you run your project , then it sets off windows firewall,

I use Windows 7 Firewall Control and it asks me every time I compile and run to give the new Runner.exe internet access.

I reverted back to the previous version of GMS2 runtime, version 2.1.0.144 ,.until they fix this, its a real pain.

CMAllen

While I can't claim to know if my current issues are as a result of this recent update or not, I have been noticing that GMS2 is allocating a lot of extra memory as I create/duplicate sprite assets -- something I wouldn't have noticed before now because my GMS2 projects weren't that graphically diverse before. Now if it it were just increased memory footprint, that's one thing, but GMS2 also grows increasingly sluggish and non-responsive as the memory bloat escalates. Creating a few dozen sprites can easily result in GMS2 taking up an extra 500mb of memory. Which doesn't make any sense considering I can check their total size on disk and have it come out (with no-compression png files here, so that isn't a factor) at maybe 5% of that space. The total space used by all my sprites combined uses up less disk space than GMS2 is adding to its memory footprint from adding a few dozen sprites. Something is definitely amiss here.

Should I delete the app form the application folder on my mac before installing this one? Like whats the safest way?
The installer should remove the existing version to the trash, but yes, if you want to do it yourself to be sure, just move it to the trash yourself beforehand.

I also use AppCleaner to remove additional files that GMS 2 creates, but use at your own risk, it likes to select the project folder as well for deletion, make sure you unselect that if you do use it.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Is there any chance someone could post the link to the previous IDE for the mac build? This would at least put me back into a frame where I could work.
I responded to your separate thread about this. However, of course we'd also really like to know why you say you're blocked from working in the new version, but the older one is okay. Can you please file a Helpdesk ticket about this so we can get details, please?

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
"Is there anyway to download the old version of the mac build 2.1.0.212? I can no longer seem to run two instances of my game in VM while I am debugging. When I try and run two instances the new IDE asks if I want to stop the current one running. I click cancel and the IDE goes into a funky state where it won't make any builds. Can you provide the link to the old MAC IDE 2.1.0.212 the public build right before this latest one?"

Okay, I see the issue was mentioned earlier in this thread. This is actually an issue we have deliberately changed/fixed, as this was that the Mac IDE wasn't closing game processes properly. The Mac IDE now matches the Windows one in that you can only have one runner instance launched by the IDE at a time.

This isn't a bug and won't be changed back in future releases, I'm afraid, so I wouldn't suggest rolling back and staying on that version, rather, I'd suggest you use the same method WIndows users have always had to do: for the usage you're attempting, you would typically build (create exe) your server and then run/debug your client (or vice versa).

Tony Brice

Is it just me or does the help screen no longer work since the update? I press help over a command, or click the icon itself, and I just get an empty black window.

Actually, ignore this. Just did a reinstall and it works now.

Last edited:

vortexvt

draw_text_ext with chinese texts still not fixed, after you broke it with 2.1+ (Runtimes)

Last edited:
"Is there anyway to download the old version of the mac build 2.1.0.212? I can no longer seem to run two instances of my game in VM while I am debugging. When I try and run two instances the new IDE asks if I want to stop the current one running. I click cancel and the IDE goes into a funky state where it won't make any builds. Can you provide the link to the old MAC IDE 2.1.0.212 the public build right before this latest one?"

Okay, I see the issue was mentioned earlier in this thread. This is actually an issue we have deliberately changed/fixed, as this was that the Mac IDE wasn't closing game processes properly. The Mac IDE now matches the Windows one in that you can only have one runner instance launched by the IDE at a time.

This isn't a bug and won't be changed back in future releases, I'm afraid, so I wouldn't suggest rolling back and staying on that version, rather, I'd suggest you use the same method WIndows users have always had to do: for the usage you're attempting, you would typically build (create exe) your server and then run/debug your client (or vice versa).
The issue with that Dan, is that I didn't quite know I needed to the Apple developer license in place before I could build a APP file. I don't feel that this is parity with Windows users experience because they would not have to go and spend an additional 100 dollars in order to build an executable. Unless I am doing this incorrectly, which may be the case as I am learning. But I can't seem to build a executable for my mac.

But I can't seem to build a executable for my mac.
Have you tried leaving the Signing Identifier in the MacOS settings blank, and then building a Mac App.

Also make sure build for Mac App Store is not ticked. (under Packaging options)

Seems to work ok for me.

It's only if I leave something entered in the Signing Identifier box, that the build wants to sign the app with a developers certificate.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Windows developer still need to spend 100 dollars to build an executable though... You do not need to have a paid apple account to build executables (the free developer account is enough), not sure if you are referring to apples developer $99 or our $99 pro product

If you are using the free version and want to build a network app and unable to purchase the pro version.

Then you could use the File -> New IDE and load the same project from there, this would allow you to have 2 IDE's open on the same project, but you may get file permission issues with that as they compete to keep the project in sync.

The other alternative is to look in the compile form to see where it is executing the file from (you may need to have File -> Preferences -> Compile, show verbose compiler output switch on) and then use Terminal to start the executable from that location. One limitation on macOS is that the OS itself does not like running the same application multiple times so you may need to use some command overrides to get that to happen, for the 'open' command line tool you need to have the -n argument passed to it. (see https://developer.apple.com/legacy/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/open.1.html)

Russell

Have you tried leaving the Signing Identifier in the MacOS settings blank, and then building a Mac App.

Also make sure build for Mac App Store is not ticked. (under Packaging options)

Seems to work ok for me.

It's only if I leave something entered in the Signing Identifier box, that the build wants to sign the app with a developers certificate.
Does this work with the latest runtime and IDE? Perhaps YYG should default this to blank.

Also Dan I submitted a trouble ticket before I read your next post. Tell the support team to ignore please! :)

Does this work with the latest runtime and IDE? Perhaps YYG should default this to blank.
As far as I know yes.

As you may have noticed, each time you restart the IDE, the Signing Identifier field defaults back to something like "Developer ID..." if you left it blank previously.

So I have to delete it each time I want to make a Mac standalone app.

I have logged a ticket with the helpdesk regarding this a little while ago.

As far as I know yes.

As you may have noticed, each time you restart the IDE, the Signing Identifier field defaults back to something like "Developer ID..." if you left it blank previously.

So I have to delete it each time I want to make a Mac standalone app.

I have logged a ticket with the helpdesk regarding this a little while ago.
.... This is why I "MAGICALLY" got it to work once... Thank you Indiana you have reduce my_gray_hair by 1

Now the question is should I upgrade back to the new IDE and Runtime.... I was blaming all my problems on that.
If building a standalone mac app was the main issue, then yes, I would upgrade to the latest version, as it this issue is not dependent on which version you use.

There are tons of bug fixes and nice things in the latest release.

Note: I have not actually tried making a standalone mac app with the latest release myself though yet, so final decision is up to you.

GMS 2 For Mac

IDE hard crashes (instantly closes, no warnings etc...) just after my existing project finishes loading.

Last 3 lines of ui.log are :
Code:
[03:35:56:546(ef18)] WARNING: FileWatcher already ignoring directory '/Users/***********/GameMakerStudio2/*********/.git'
[03:35:56:546(ef18)] WARNING: FileWatcher already ignoring file '/Users/***********/GameMakerStudio2/********/.gitignore'
[03:35:56:546(ef18)] WARNING: FileWatcher already ignoring file '/Users/**************/GameMakerStudio2/************/.gitattributes'
(Removed identifying pathnames)

Project is using Source Control, although I use an external tool ( SourceTree ) to manage the commits/pulls.

Project opened normally under previous version (2.1.0.212)

*FIX* - When I move all my project files to another folder that is not under source control, I can open the project successfully.

EDIT: The above error does not seem to happen on the Windows version of GMS 2 (Windows 7, same setup, source control enabled, using Source Tree to pull the repository)
UPDATE : Just an update on this bug - I seem to have fixed it.

On a hunch I tracked down the file that remembers which resources/objects/workspaces were open previously in GMS 2:

/Users/*********/.config/GameMakerStudio2/**************_45802/Layouts/**Project Name**/e164c05b-131b-4267-aedf-d300f4f8a300.xml

(removed identifiable information as *********)

I moved the xml file to the Trash, restarted GMS 2, and now I can open my project on Mac again without it insta-crashing on load.

DukeSoft

@rwkay feels like there is a massive bug introduced regarding casting of variables read from buffers.. I noticed it when the healthbar on a shared multiplayer objective no longer showed up with a linear green bar, but was either red or green. Seems like internally buffer_read now returns INTS instead of doubles? Anyway, bug report;

Code:
var buff = buffer_create(20, buffer_fixed, 1);
buffer_write(buff, buffer_u8, 50);
buffer_write(buff, buffer_u8, 100);
buffer_write(buff, buffer_u16, 50);
buffer_write(buff, buffer_u16, 100);
buffer_write(buff, buffer_s8, 50);
buffer_write(buff, buffer_s8, 100);
buffer_write(buff, buffer_s16, 50);
buffer_write(buff, buffer_s16, 100);
buffer_seek(buff, buffer_seek_start, 0);

int = 50;
int2 = 100;
float = 50.0;
float2 = 100.0;
u8 = buffer_read(buff, buffer_u8);
u8_2 = buffer_read(buff, buffer_u8);
u16 = buffer_read(buff, buffer_u16);
u16_2 = buffer_read(buff, buffer_u16);
s8 = buffer_read(buff, buffer_s8);
s8_2 = buffer_read(buff, buffer_s8);
s16 = buffer_read(buff, buffer_s16);
s16_2 = buffer_read(buff, buffer_s16);

show_debug_message(string(int) + "/" + string(int2) + "=" + string(int/int2));
show_debug_message(string(float) + "/" + string(float2) + "=" + string(float/float2));
show_debug_message(string(u8) + "/" + string(u8_2) + "=" + string(u8/u8_2));
show_debug_message(string(u16) + "/" + string(u16_2) + "=" + string(u16/u16_2));
show_debug_message(string(s8) + "/" + string(s8_2) + "=" + string(s8/s8_2));
show_debug_message(string(s16) + "/" + string(s16_2) + "=" + string(s16/s16_2));
Expected outcoume:
Code:
50/100=0.50
50/100=0.50
50/100=0.50
50/100=0.50
50/100=0.50
50/100=0.50
Outcoume (IDE 2.1.1.241 Runtime 2.1.1.158):
Code:
50/100=0.50
50/100=0.50
50/100=0
50/100=0
50/100=0
50/100=0
This is quite a problem :D

sman

Seems like internally buffer_read now returns INTS instead of doubles? Anyway, bug report;
This is probably the problem I had when I posted the following message but I had not investigated it. Thank you Dukesoft.
But it's only YYC, right?

I have lots of very strange bugs in YYC (Windows and Android): floating numbers automatically rounded, acting like integers. Came back to previous runtime.

Carnivius

Not sure why this CPU hog thing happens but it does occassionally when idling and I sometimes have to just task manager and kill GMS2 to get rid of it and then reload it to continue my project.
Windows 10 64-bit. Didn't use to do this.

Attachments

T

Tomas Kubal

Hello,
I have a problem with my GameMaker Studio 2:
I tried to create a new room using << room_add () >> and there was a warning:
"use room_add not allowed in GameMaker Studio 2 Trial"
I'm sure I bought a complete GameMaker: Studio Professional, including other complementary products.
Please tell me what to do.

Thank you, Tomas Kubal, Czech Republic

I'm sure I bought a complete GameMaker: Studio Professional, including other complementary products.
"GameMaker Studio 2" is not the same as "GameMaker: Studio Professional". "GameMaker: Studio Professional" is v1.x, and "GameMaker Studio 2" is... well... v2.x. If you want the non-trial version of GMS2 then you need to buy it. If you have bought one of the full versions of GMS2 then make sure you have logged in to the IDE with you account/licence details - that will activate it as the full version.

kupo15

Not sure why this CPU hog thing happens but it does occassionally when idling and I sometimes have to just task manager and kill GMS2 to get rid of it and then reload it to continue my project.
Windows 10 64-bit. Didn't use to do this.
I wonder if this happened to me too. Did your performance tank when you tested your game? I had one time where all of a sudden my game runs were stuttering and I simply restarted my cpu and everything was fine. Didn't think to check my task manager to see if my CPU ramped up like yours or not

Carnivius

I wonder if this happened to me too. Did your performance tank when you tested your game? I had one time where all of a sudden my game runs were stuttering and I simply restarted my cpu and everything was fine. Didn't think to check my task manager to see if my CPU ramped up like yours or not
nope. Game ran fine. This just happened after leaving GMS2 in the background doing absolutely nothing for an hour or so and wondering why my PC suddenly felt sluggish.

I

ilari silander

Trying to start GMS2 desktop for windows/steam, for the very first time.

When launching the program, the IDE does it's checks etc. and it is doing some sort of "final installation" before I can use the actual GMS2.
The problem is that it just crashes, without any form of error display or anything.

Posting an image of the last thing I see in GMS2 before it just crashes and close the program.

Fel på GM2 steam.jpg

F

FiveSprites

Holy hell - please, for the love of whatever-religion-you-believe-in, PLEASE REVERT THE EDITOR KEYS BACK TO WHAT THEY DID BEFORE!

If I press END then I want the cursor to do what it did before - move to the end of the current line. NOT move to the end of the script/block/whatever-it-decides

CTRL-HOME/CTRL-END should move the cursor to the start/end of the script. Seriously - why doesn't this work any more :(

This is driving me nuts! :(

G

Holy hell - please, for the love of whatever-religion-you-believe-in, PLEASE REVERT THE EDITOR KEYS BACK TO WHAT THEY DID BEFORE!

If I press END then I want the cursor to do what it did before - move to the end of the current line. NOT move to the end of the script/block/whatever-it-decides

CTRL-HOME/CTRL-END should move the cursor to the start/end of the script. Seriously - why doesn't this work any more :(

Fortunately they simultaneously broke it so you can hit home-home-home or end-end-end to get to the beginning or end of the current script. Not ideal but something.

I did submit a report about this but got the usual response--silence, not even an auto-reply let alone a tracking number.

kupo15

Fortunately they simultaneously broke it so you can hit home-home-home or end-end-end to get to the beginning or end of the current script. Not ideal but something.

I did submit a report about this but got the usual response--silence, not even an auto-reply let alone a tracking number.
Good to know, I thought I was the only one who didn't get some sort of confirmation when I submitted my Search Function Enter Button bug and that you also have to always expand the search bar to search and replace

rIKmAN

Yeah when Home/End changed from how it worked originally (perfectly IMO) it really broke my workflow too - the IDE became so annoying to use because of ingrained habits from every other piece of software I have used and the fact that it worked that way in GMS2 when it first came out until they changed it out the blue a couple of months ago.

There seemed no reason to change it other than Mike seeming to want it the way he preferred (from notes on Mantis), and I was seriously considering requesting a refund on 3 modules because for such a tiny small thing it was such a productivity killer having to constantly correct myself and arrow around the code window. Horrible.

However it was fixed in a recent update, and now Home/End works in stages:

1) First press beginning/end of code on a line
2) Second press beginning/end of actual line
3) Third press first/last line of code visible in the code window
4) Fourth press beginning/end of file.

At least that's how it works here for me (just tested it), and CTRL+Home or CTRL+End doesn't do anything here for me.

Are you using the latest version of GMS2?

Ideally there would be some settings in preferences so users could choose which way they want the keys to behave, so everybody has the choice to use what suits them.

EDIT:
Just re-read your post and I might have misunderstood.
You are saying CTRL+Home and CTRL+End used to move to the start/end of the script?

If so, just press and hold Home or End, it might take a half second longer but it does the same thing as multiple presses for the stages I mentioned above.

Last edited:
G

That change was intentional??? That is bizarre. Absolutely whacked. What text editing software does not go to the beginning and end of the document using ctrl-home and ctrl-end? Does anyone know of any example? That's how it works in Visual Studio, Android Studio, Word, Notepad++, Notepad, Wordpad, browsers (e.g., this comment box), frigging Adobe Acrobat Reader which doesn't even edit text ... every program I know.

rIKmAN

That change was intentional??? That is bizarre. Absolutely whacked. What text editing software does not go to the beginning and end of the document using ctrl-home and ctrl-end? Does anyone know of any example? That's how it works in Visual Studio, Android Studio, Word, Notepad++, Notepad, Wordpad, browsers (e.g., this comment box), frigging Adobe Acrobat Reader which doesn't even edit text ... every program I know.
Yeah it was intentional, and was a byproduct of fixing another bug IIRC.

A couple of the devs agreed that the bahaviour should be the same as other editors, but it seems like Mike overruled them because it's not how he liked it.

http://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=26234 (check the comments)

T

Tomas Kubal

"GameMaker Studio 2" is not the same as "GameMaker: Studio Professional". "GameMaker: Studio Professional" is v1.x, and "GameMaker Studio 2" is... well... v2.x. If you want the non-trial version of GMS2 then you need to buy it. If you have bought one of the full versions of GMS2 then make sure you have logged in to the IDE with you account/licence details - that will activate it as the full version.
Hello,
thank you for the answer, I really have Gamemaker Studio 2 Trial. I bought the program at Humble Bundle in August 2017. Unfortunately, there was no mention that it was a Trial version and so I was disapointed.
Please answer the question: I have also purchased the Mac Export extensions, Ubuntu Export, Windows Only Export, Windows 8 Export, HTML5 Export, Android Export, iOS Export, Windows UWP. When I buy the full version of GM2 now, will the expansion work?

chamaeleon

Hello,
thank you for the answer, I really have Gamemaker Studio 2 Trial. I bought the program at Humble Bundle in August 2017. Unfortunately, there was no mention that it was a Trial version and so I was disapointed.
Please answer the question: I have also purchased the Mac Export extensions, Ubuntu Export, Windows Only Export, Windows 8 Export, HTML5 Export, Android Export, iOS Export, Windows UWP. When I buy the full version of GM2 now, will the expansion work?
You bought GM:S 1.4 Pro in the Humble Bundle. It is not a trial. It is not the same as GMS 2 which is a newer product. Your exports will work with GM:S 1.4 Pro. They will not work with GMS 2. GM:S 1.4 is a different installer for you to download and install. It has nothing to do with GMS 2.