• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

UWP How to Make a Native Extension for GMS 2

S

SebtheDev()

Hey,
I am working towards making a GMS 2 Native Extension to use Xbox Live multiplayer in UWP, do you guys have any idea where to start?

Thanks,
Seb

Last edited by a moderator:

rIKmAN

Hey,
I am working towards making a GMS 2 Native Extension to use Xbox Live multiplayer in UWP, do you guys have any idea where to start?

Thanks,
Seb
I'm not sure on the details for UWP on desktop, but for targeting XB1 the UWP export requires you to use the Xbox Live Creators Program which doesn't support multiplayer (amongst other restricted features).

Quoted from: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/xbox-live/developer-program-overview
Titles enabled under the Xbox Live Creators Program can use Leaderboards, Featured Stats, Title Storage, Connected Storage, and a restricted set of social features. Achievements, online multiplayer, and many social features are not supported for titles in the Xbox Live Creators Program.
You get full access to all XBox Live features if you are accepted onto the ID@XBox program, but to use this with GMS you need to purchase the official XB1 Export and not the UWP export.

A full comparison of features for both programs can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/xbox-live/developer-program-overview#feature-table

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We already provide XBox Live access for UWP at the most basic level, MS have complicated things by hiding some of the XBox Live features behind a quality wall at ID@XBox but they can still be used with UWP games.

We plan on extending our XBox Live support for UWP to encompass the same feature set as XBox One but we have other priorities at the moment. (it is on our roadmap for the future though).

Russell