Tutorials Request

A

Aura

Nowhere currently. But you can ask for existing tutorials in the Programming forum.

Either way, I'm writing a topic where tutorials can be requested:

<link doesn't go here in a few minutes>

--- EDIT ---

Ah, well. It seems that only community administrators are allowed to do that. ^^'

Last edited by a moderator:

Roa

Nowhere currently. But you can ask for existing tutorials in the Programming forum.

Either way, I'm writing a topic where tutorials can be requested:

<link goes here in a few minutes>
I wouldn't even bother. I would just ask @Nocturne to sticky at the top of tutorials.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
If members want new features, we can discuss them here. I think that's fine.

But if a tutorial request topic is ultimately created, it would be best if Nocturne or Shaun (or perhaps Mike) writes the topic. It's better to have one person craft rules and guidelines IMO. That sets a consistent tone throughout the forum.

Last edited:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
where I should post the Tutorial request
For now, you should use the Programming forum to ask specific questions.

Personally, I'm somewhat skeptical of a tutorial request topic -- based on what I'm seeing in the Programming Forum. There are multiple topics about essentially the same thing. Multiple questions about things that are thoroughly covered in Shaun's YYG tutorials. And multiple topics about things that are specifically addressed in the manual -- often with examples included.

So I expect a tutorial request topic would encourage duplicate requests for trivial examples, or very specific requests for code that someone happens to need at that moment.

Last edited:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Are you sure that a tutorial request is absolutely warranted?

It could be that your search is too narrow. It could be that your query is worded poorly. It could be that you are too big of a Goldilocks.

Besides, even if Nocturne sets up a place for you to request away, what then? It's not like your prayers will be answered instantly. Compared to actively looking out for resources to learn from, waiting passively for a knight in white is a rather sissy course of action.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
For now, you should use the Programming forum to ask specific questions.

Personally, I'm somewhat skeptical of a tutorial request topic -- based on what I'm seeing in the Programming Forum. There are multiple topics about essentially the same thing. Multiple questions about things that are thoroughly covered in Shaun's YYG tutorials. And multiple topics about things that are specifically addressed in the manual -- often with examples included.

So I expect a tutorial request topic would encourage duplicate requests for trivial examples, or very specific requests for code that someone happens to need at that moment.
I have to say that I agree 100% with this... I would also add that in general people make tutorials from things that they have made to use in their own projects, and not "just because". So even if someone requests something specific for a tutorial, it may not ever get made as I imagine few people are actually out there just doing tutorials for the sake of it, and those that are will have their own method and ideas for doing them, as well as their own distribution system. I mean, someone like HeartBeast who makes amazing tutorials will post them to his YouTube channel and web courses, not here...

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I have to concur.

It kinda feels like just googling the question in broad enough terms has to reveal something - the majority of the programming questions are stuff people has asked about since the GM8 days, and while it's not an absolute majority it clearly indicates people have had the same kinds issues for ages.
And even if one could request tutorials, it takes a LOT more dedication to write a tutorial than to post a random snippet of code on a forum. Who wants to have to write a long text to explain something when there's no clear audience and no clear gain for them? Only very altrustic people, and they probably already are busy writing tutorials even without a topic being in place.