OFFICIAL New Forum Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Hi everyone! This thread is for reporting any issues you may find with the new forum software. So, if you find any issues with the styling - like gradient overlays, odd colours, or anything difficult to read - or if you find that a feature is missing or unnecessary then please post here to let us know so that we can discuss/fix it. Feel free to ask any questions about enabled features too, if there is anything you aren't sure of...

Thanks!

MrDave

I had a minor issue trying to create a new account in Chrome. It kept trying to prefill my old password and when I pressed backspace to delete it it would do a browser back button and go to the last page. Only a tiny minor problem but I thought I would mention it.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
So far it looks rather fine (finally, the quote boxes work correctly. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I'd like for the quick reply toolbar to be darker in the dark skin.

Also, the subforums icons would probably work better with some lighter theme; especially since the "read" icon stands out about the same as "unread" one, being brighter. Compare that to old GMC subforum icons, where the unread icons are kinda grayed out and don't draw any attention. ;)

I'd like some emoticons like :whistling: or :teehee: or :heidy: as well. I mean, everyone needs their daily portion of squirrels.

--- EDIT ---

Oh, and while I'm at that - I can't seem to find an option to mark the whole forum as read. Would it be too much trouble to add one? Aside from that, even better - an option to ignore a whole subforum, such as Offtopic? ^^

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
:squirrel::pickle::bash::duck::bunny::banana::potato:

We have some custom icons... And some hidden ones too... :lemwink:

As for the styling issue, I'm not sure what you mean? If you could take a screenshot and outline the issue that would help.

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
One thing I've noticed is that there doesn't seem to be any icon signifying whether a topic has been locked, stickied, etc. This seems like something that's needed...

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
One thing I've noticed is that there doesn't seem to be any icon signifying whether a topic has been locked, stickied, etc. This seems like something that's needed...
Hmmm... you are right. I'll look into that one, as I don't recall actually seeing any forum options for this... but it could be something we've overlooked.

G

GVmG

Mmh, I found a little problem with the rich text editor. If you want to apply color to a link, the rich text editor puts the color tag outside the url one, like this: twitter

If you manually put it inside the url tag like this, the color does indeed show up.

The first one keeps the color tag active even if it doesn't color the text, as you can see if you edit the message in bbcode mode.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Oh, so there are squirrels, but under a strangely sense-making name now. I see, I see, clever, verrrry clever...
(you might want to port over the icon with the ugly bright borders removed, though, like the one from GMC:
)

As for the quick reply toolbar, it's just that this very bright gray kinda stands out to me.

As for the read/unread icons, compare the upper icon to the one in the middle and lower icon to the one in the middle.

I think the lower icon, being all dim and grayed out, speaks more "unread" to me than the upper icon, a brighter (if less saturated) version of the "read" icon.

Also, you seemed to have replied in the meantime, so once again:
Oh, and while I'm at that - I can't seem to find an option to mark the whole forum as read. Would it be too much trouble to add one? Aside from that, even better - an option to ignore a whole subforum, such as Offtopic? ^^

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
This is minor, but I also sort of wish I could sort members on the members list in more ways (eg: by position)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I had a minor issue trying to create a new account in Chrome. It kept trying to prefill my old password and when I pressed backspace to delete it it would do a browser back button and go to the last page. Only a tiny minor problem but I thought I would mention it.
Mmh, I found a little problem with the rich text editor. If you want to apply color to a link, the rich text editor puts the color tag outside the url one, like this: twitter

If you manually put it inside the url tag like this, the color does indeed show up.

The first one keeps the color tag active even if it doesn't color the text, as you can see if you edit the message in bbcode mode.
This is minor, but I also sort of wish I could sort members on the members list in more ways (eg: by position)
Sorry guys, but there isn't really anything I can do about any of these things...

G

grixm

Account creation is a bit bugged, it says "Your password must contain at least 1 special characters." when it does contain a "_". I created an account with a temporary password but I would really like to get it changed as I might not be able to remember this easily because it doesn't fit my system.

I posted about this in the subreddit also and ShaunJS said he is investigating though but I figured I'd just post here too just for the record

M

Manuel777

Passwords requirements are annoying, 10 characters AND a special character ("_" doest count?) is too much, I would trim it to 8 and numbers or something more standarized, as I had to create a new odd password I will never remember just for the new GMC, and had to store it on my browser in case I forget it (probably will) wich is far more insecure.

Lukasmah

Off topic posts don't count, and that's a massive issue. Also, rep is so tiny. I want my vanity number to be massive and take up half of my profile.

These are both massive issues and are highly detrimental to my ego. Please fix them.

M

Moon Goat

I can't seem to figure out how to edit certain account information (such as location and signature).

S

SuperSlim

Whenever I type in the forum in Game Maker the letters "W" and "F" remove me from the type box. It seems that once either of those letter are pressed the "Whole Word Only" and the "Filter Tree" things get activated respectively.

Kepons

Lost The Bet
Could topics pinned to the top of forums show some signs of their status? I find the lack of distinguishability slightly confusing.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Account creation is a bit bugged, it says "Your password must contain at least 1 special characters." when it does contain a "_". I created an account with a temporary password but I would really like to get it changed as I might not be able to remember this easily because it doesn't fit my system.

I posted about this in the subreddit also and ShaunJS said he is investigating though but I figured I'd just post here too just for the record
Passwords requirements are annoying, 10 characters AND a special character ("_" doest count?) is too much, I would trim it to 8 and numbers or something more standarized, as I had to create a new odd password I will never remember just for the new GMC, and had to store it on my browser in case I forget it (probably will) wich is far more insecure.
Okay this isn't going to change. It's part of the security update and isn't negociable... as for the underbar _ it isn't special. Its used all the time like every other ascii character, not like ^ or £ etc...

Off topic posts don't count, and that's a massive issue. Also, rep is so tiny. I want my vanity number to be massive and take up half of my profile.

These are both massive issues and are highly detrimental to my ego. Please fix them.
Your ego needs taking down a peg or two, so no changes here either... :p (seriously though, off topic posts have NEVER counted, and I don't think having a huge print rep is of any importance really... I lost a rep of a 10,000 and more than 20,000 posts with this change so if I can handle it you can too)

I can't seem to figure out how to edit certain account information (such as location and signature).
Hoevr over your username in the top right and select the option "Personal Details". You should be able to edit all the information there...

Whenever I type in the forum in Game Maker the letters "W" and "F" remove me from the type box. It seems that once either of those letter are pressed the "Whole Word Only" and the "Filter Tree" things get activated respectively.
I have no idea what is causing this and can't reproduce it?

Could topics pinned to the top of forums show some signs of their status? I find the lack of distinguishability slightly confusing.
Yes, locked and pinned topics have no identifying icon at the moment. I'm going to look into this and see if I can't make things clearer

S

SuperSlim

When I type in the forum from Game Maker (not on browser) these get activated \/ \/ \/ \/ and when they are activated they deselect the text box.

Attachments

M

Manuel777

Can some links be made into buttons to make them more recognizable? such as "Follow", "profile Page", "Like", "Quote", "Reply", etc

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Can some links be made into buttons to make them more recognizable? such as "Follow", "profile Page", "Like", "Quote", "Reply", etc
That would require a fairly extensive bit of tinkering within the forum templates... something that (at this point) I'm not prepared to do. Sorry...

D

Dreadshadow

Hello and congratulations on the upgrade.
Issue while trying to create my account on Firefox.
It seems CAPTCHA are always pass as FALSE thus you can never create the account.

I solved the issue by makinig the account using Google Chrome.

obscene

If it hasn't been said already, we're missing the Suggestion Box!

Edit: I see there is a suggestion tag, but seems all that is related to the forum and not GM. Would be nice to have that all in once plae again so they don't get buried in the general chat.

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
The lack of HTML5 prefix tags and image size limits (this post for example) are the only real issues I have so far.

I also find it annoying that posts are called "messages" (ie. in the sidebar and user profiles)...but I'm sure no one else cares.

B

Braffolk

Not sure whether YYG would consider these issues, but it would be nice to have the right panel on the main page reordered. Move the members online and staff online below other things. It's information that you don't need too often, compared to status updates which we obviously need 24/7.

I

icuurd12b42

Get a password management tool. that what I had to do. so many sites now want to be more strict. now I simply auto generate a hash from the password manager for the password.

T

Telephone Pole

Hi, I've got two questions for minor features:
  • Any info on .gif files for avatars? My avatar seems to be in suspended animation for now.
  • Are member titles returning?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Hello and congratulations on the upgrade.
Issue while trying to create my account on Firefox.
It seems CAPTCHA are always pass as FALSE thus you can never create the account.

I solved the issue by makinig the account using Google Chrome.
Okay, thanks, we'll look into it...

If it hasn't been said already, we're missing the Suggestion Box!

Edit: I see there is a suggestion tag, but seems all that is related to the forum and not GM. Would be nice to have that all in once plae again so they don't get buried in the general chat.
For the moment we will not be having a suggestions box forum for GM. YYG aren't accepting any thing like that at the moment but maybe in the future it'll return...

The lack of HTML5 prefix tags and image size limits (this post for example) are the only real issues I have so far.

I also find it annoying that posts are called "messages" (ie. in the sidebar and user profiles)...but I'm sure no one else cares.
If you think there are tags/prefixes missing then please post in the other topic we have for this and let me know what they are and which forums you want them in and I'll sort it out. As for the image size thing, currently we restrict image "weight", ie the KB uploaded, but not the actual width/height. If this proves to be an issue then we'll look into changing it...

Not sure whether YYG would consider these issues, but it would be nice to have the right panel on the main page reordered. Move the members online and staff online below other things. It's information that you don't need too often, compared to status updates which we obviously need 24/7.
I agree and I'll look into changing it, but I can't promise anything because it's a template change and we really don't want to much about too much with them...

Hi, I've got two questions for minor features:
  • Any info on .gif files for avatars? My avatar seems to be in suspended animation for now.
  • Are member titles returning?
You can upload GIF avatars and they will animate on your profile page but not on the forum posts (iirc). This is a limit of the forum software itself and I can't really do anything about it... Member titles will be returning once things have settled down a little. ;)[/QUOTE]

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, so changes been made:

Text editor bar is now dimmer
Sidebar on the main page has been re-ordered
Read/unread icons have been (or are in the process of being) updated to make it more obvious
Pinned and Locked topics will be made more obvious (this may take a couple of days, but it'll be done)

:)

Kepons

Lost The Bet
When one enters a member's profile, it shows the Profile Posts tab as the default one. I think it should be swapped with the Information tab because the old forums had the About Me page show up first. It's not a very serious issue, but if it's easily fixable, it should be changed. Some people put links to some of their work as a way to promote them or devlogs (which are still not allowed?) in their profile pages, but if it doesn't show up as the profile is opened, hardly anybody will ever see them.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
When one enters a member's profile, it shows the Profile Posts tab as the default one. I think it should be swapped with the Information tab because the old forums had the About Me page show up first. It's not a very serious issue, but if it's easily fixable, it should be changed. Some people put links to some of their work as a way to promote them or devlogs (which are still not allowed?) in their profile pages, but if it doesn't show up as the profile is opened, hardly anybody will ever see them.
That's not an easy fix actually... so I doubt it'll get done, but I'll see... as for dev logs, the WIP forum is now a lot less strict and (as long as the content is interesting) can be used for dev logs... ;)

D

DemonStoat

I can't seem to change my username and I can't remove this account and (re)create another one to rectify this problem, how do I solve this? Thank you in advance.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I can't seem to change my username and I can't remove this account and (re)create another one to rectify this problem, how do I solve this? Thank you in advance.
You can't change your username and you can't delete your account. Permitting users to do these things always leads t problems later... If you wish to change the name, PM me and I'll change it for you. :)

D

Dengar

the captcha system is horrible. and with a 10char plus special char password I keep getting stuck.
seriously, click on all the pictures of trees?

I do feel fairly confidant that if I cant get into my own account then nobody else will either.

Geno

the captcha system is horrible. and with a 10char plus special char password I keep getting stuck.
seriously, click on all the pictures of trees?

I do feel fairly confidant that if I cant get into my own account then nobody else will either.
If you can't click on the pictures of trees, you might have a problem :p Anyway, a few posts up, someone said use a password managing tool, it's really useful.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The captcha is Googles re-captcha which is (in most people's opinion) the best and easiest to use for most people... as for the password, I'm sorry, but we aren't changing the requirements there. Look at using Last Pass or some other software maybe? (last pass is great and has a free version)

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
Either way, "my content" shows every single post, every single status, and every single status comment you have made, instead of showing every topic (once) that you have posted in, like this:

in order to get this you must create a specialized search every time you want to view it, "my content" should make this search and not do what it currently does.
Go to "information" and there's a link to see only the topics that the person has made.

trg601

Another thing that @Yambam pointed out in a profile post, and I think would be a very good idea, would be to add a new subforum for non-marketplace resources. He/She just wanted a place to post scripts, but I think you could also post examples, development tools, source projects, and maybe even a .dll or two (if anyone still uses them)

R

rui.rosario

If you can't click on the pictures of trees, you might have a problem
Nowadays computers can be "taught" to click pictures of trees without problem so that makes me question the usefulness of the captcha at alll...

R

rui.rosario

I just noticed, but if you go to the "Most Notable" member section, the UI there still shows up as "Most Messages" instead of "Most Posts". So you should probably change that for coherence.

EDIT: Also noticed the Preferences still refer it as Message as well. Also, is there a way to disable emails for received PMs? If not, that would be a helpful feature.

Last edited by a moderator:

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
Okay, so changes been made:

Text editor bar is now dimmer
Sidebar on the main page has been re-ordered
Read/unread icons have been (or are in the process of being) updated to make it more obvious
Pinned and Locked topics will be made more obvious (this may take a couple of days, but it'll be done)

Another change has been made to "messages" which now says "posts", as that's what everyone seems to be accustomed to calling them. :)
Great changes - thanks Mark!

Mr. RPG

Another change has been made to "messages" which now says "posts", as that's what everyone seems to be accustomed to calling them. :)
Could you also change "discussions" to "threads"?

Most of the areas on the forum call them "threads", but for some reason the forum statistics refer to them as "discussions".

johnwo

Post counts seems to be a bit wacky.
Might be just me, but my post count say 4, when I have started two topics and posted 16 replies (17 counting this one)...

Noticed that a couple of other members also have post counts that seem incorrect.
Is this a feature or a bug? Does the off-topic section not count or something along those lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.