• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.1.1.241

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update 2.1.1.241 of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using http://www.yoyogames.com/bug

You should post here if:
  • You think you have found a bug and have exhausted all other possibilities (ie: code error, incorrect setup, etc...)
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (ie: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found in the ProgramData folder for GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behavior
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Note that each new version released the old topic will be locked and a new topic will be made, so that all issues reported can be tracked correctly on a per-version basis. If you think your issue has not been fixed in the subsequent update, then please add a comment in the thread and ensure you file a bug report. (Please don’t continue doing this for every future release until your bug is fixed - just file the report and then you can leave off mentioning it in the thread).

Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

Bentley

Hello, just read your thread and I thought I might get some help here. I bought GM2 for desktop, and I opened it up this morning and saw that there was a new version. For some reason, I can't download it, I can only download the installer. When I click the installer, I get this message:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2yf83ogba4lgg9/Screenshot 2017-10-05 07.22.44.png?dl=0

When I hit "OK" nothing really happens. And then when I open GM2 again, I get the same question about updating to the new version.

Im sure the fault is on my end, but do you know how I can get the new version installed?

Last edited:

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Hello, just read your thread and I thought I might get some help here. I bought GM2 for desktop, and I opened it up this morning and saw that there was a new version. For some reason, I can't download it, I can only download the installer. I'm sure the fault is on my end, but do you know how I can get the new version installed?
The installer that is downloaded via the IDE is for the new version and will install in place of the current one. Hope this helps.

Bentley

The installer that is downloaded via the IDE is for the new version and will install in place of the current one. Hope this helps.
When you say it's downloaded via the IDE, do you mean when you open GameMaker? Because I got the message asking to install at that point, just nothing happened after.

A

Ariak

With the recent runtime - after todays IDE update - adding vertex info to custom vertex formats broke when compiling with YYC. It still works under VM.
I have submitted a bug report and included a project file.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Claire

When you say it's downloaded via the IDE, do you mean when you open GameMaker? Because I got the message asking to install at that point, just nothing happened after.
Clicking ok should have started the uninstaller, if nothing is happening you could try uninstalling via Windows -> Programs and Features first then run the downloaded installer

Bentley

Clicking ok should have started the uninstaller, if nothing is happening you could try uninstalling via Windows -> Programs and Features first then run the downloaded installer
I will try that., thank you for the reply. Will uninstalling GM2 have any effect on my projects? Sorry, I'm terrible when it comes to this stuff.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Will uninstalling GM2 have any effect on my projects?
If you mean "will uninstalling GMS2 remove my projects?" : No, as these are saved (by default) to your My Documents folder. They are not saved into any GMS2 installation folder.

If you mean "will I have to make changes to my projects following installing this update?" : Possibly, although most likely not. We can't say 100% either way without seeing your projects ;)

Bentley

If you mean "will uninstalling GMS2 remove my projects?" : No, as these are saved (by default) to your My Documents folder. They are not saved into any GMS2 installation folder.

If you mean "will I have to make changes to my projects following installing this update?" : Possibly, although most likely not. We can't say 100% either way without seeing your projects ;)
All my projects are there and the new version looks great lol. Thanks again : )

Bentley

Thank you for the advice, everything works great.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
With the recent runtime - after todays IDE update - adding vertex info to custom vertex formats broke when compiling with YYC. It still works under VM.
I have submitted a bug report and included a project file.
You can workaround this issue by adding in

Code:
gml_release_mode(true);
YYC is currently expecting all the vertex_buffer functions to be in release mode but you are using vertex_float1() and that has not been implemented for YYC and without the above code it is trying to do debug checks that are failing just now.

As a bonus this will make the code faster... on the downside it will not be reporting bugs and issues that having it in debug mode would find.

We will fix but this allows you to get around it.

Russell

gnysek

FIRST BUG:

for multiline edition in code editor (alt + mouse drag), after first use of backspace, you cannot use it again - so you able do delete one letter only.

A

Ariak

Thank you for the quick reply @rwkay !
It works. Ive opted to disabled the feature making use of the custom vbuff temporarily so as to catch other errors that might occur.

H

HW.

EDIT: This post was inaccurate, Sorry. More details on other similar thread about the Android permission.

H

HW.

And new bug i found is when i create executable .apk (building).... it can't be stopped!!

It looks like it is not responding but i can click other things on IDE although it is indicating that it is still building....

It keeps building whenever i stop Building, and the cursor is the rotating circle. I must exit the IDE to refresh.

In previous ide/runtime when i stop building, it is always stopped. Not like now in today's release.

I used to create .apk without connecting Android device. I just need the .apk. I usually press stop after .apk is built/created successfully..

But in new version it doesn't want to stop building.. and the IDE is "Building... 00:06:34.." on and on....

The loading text on the upper right IDE still displaying "Building... "although i press the [ ] stop button multiple times.

GMS2 Mobile
IDE 2.1.1.241
Runtime 2.1.1.158

I have submitted a bug report about this.

gnysek

instance_deactivate_object() doesn't deactivate "child" instances for me. I'm sure it was working some time ago, just discovered it today when displayed instances number...

Edit: instance_number(xxx) returns also children in result, so there's no way to get exact number of exact instance now...

Last edited:

rIKmAN

It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the release notes, but the behaviour of the Home/End keys has been fixed (imo) and now behaves as it did in previous versions.

Although seemingly a small thing, this has been a real productivity / fluidity killer for me personally so I'm really happy it's been reverted to it's previous behaviour.

I've not tested the update properly yet but 2-3 of my bug reports also seem to have been fixed in this release, and along with all the other things listed in the release notes this seems like a solid bugfix update.

Good stuff YYG.

GMS 2 For Mac

IDE hard crashes (instantly closes, no warnings etc...) just after my existing project finishes loading.

Last 3 lines of ui.log are :
Code:
[03:35:56:546(ef18)] WARNING: FileWatcher already ignoring directory '/Users/***********/GameMakerStudio2/*********/.git'
[03:35:56:546(ef18)] WARNING: FileWatcher already ignoring file '/Users/***********/GameMakerStudio2/********/.gitignore'
[03:35:56:546(ef18)] WARNING: FileWatcher already ignoring file '/Users/**************/GameMakerStudio2/************/.gitattributes'
(Removed identifying pathnames)

Project is using Source Control, although I use an external tool ( SourceTree ) to manage the commits/pulls.

Project opened normally under previous version (2.1.0.212)

*FIX* - When I move all my project files to another folder that is not under source control, I can open the project successfully.

EDIT: The above error does not seem to happen on the Windows version of GMS 2 (Windows 7, same setup, source control enabled, using Source Tree to pull the repository)

Last edited:
GMS 2 For Mac IDE v2.1.1.241 Runtime v2.1.1.158

IDE crashes when choosing "Image" from the menu when in the sprite editor. I have tried this in a new project also to no avail.
Any ideas on this.

Edit:
It just started woking correctly. I didn't do anything. Just decided to try one more time and it just allowed me into the image menu. Thanks any way guys.

Last edited:
@Guidry Games Tested this on several sprites in my project, its not crashing on my Mac.

You could try uninstall / reinstall.

Or perhaps use something like AppCleaner to clear out all the old GMS 2 files. Use at own risk though. Be careful to review the files it wants to delete - need to unselect the Projects Folder if it shows that as an option to be cleaned.

Then reinstall.

Hyomoto

I have a question, hopefully it hasn't been answered: I usually click on the names of events to bring up their code windows but now that doesn't seem to be the default behavior. Is there an option to change that back?

EDIT: Nevermind, closing and reopening the program fixed that one.

B

Bryner

Just updated GMS2 on my Mac. Now the app icon shows in the dock when launching but nothing else shows up. Tried reinstalling multiple times using the download through the IDE and using the download from the main website and still nothing. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Also tried to use CleanMyMac to fully uninstall all files related to GMS2 from the system.

Currently running macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 11.42.07 PM.jpg

Sabnock

I have a question, hopefully it hasn't been answered: I usually click on the names of events to bring up their code windows but now that doesn't seem to be the default behavior. Is there an option to change that back?

EDIT: Nevermind, closing and reopening the program fixed that one.
that is odd as it is working as before for me.

I find that I need to uninstall / reinstall after an update though. pain in the but as that is what appears to happen anyway when you first install the update.

show_debug_message() is not working for me.

In the output window I get:
Code:
tail: /var/folders/d2/s62qdbtx30z0w3b0k12p34pm0000gp/GameMakerStudio2/GMS2TEMP/*********_3211F496_VM/debug.log: No such file or directory
However, when I look in this location, the debug.log file is there and filled with the debug messages.

It's as if the debug.log file gets created a few moments after the "tail" command is run, so "tail" fails, then the debug.log is created and gets written to, but by then its too late and the messages don't show up in the Output Window.

This is on GMS 2 for Mac.

P

Petr Skornok

show_debug_message() is finally working - macOS Sierra - 10.12.6. Thanks for this.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@IndianaBones - please file a bug and we will take a look... there must be a delay on your system and the tail command is failing at that point.

The CTRL + TAB window now toggles between the most recently in focus windows which for me is really great.

There is also an "X" to close the items in the CTRL + TAB, but it seems not working for me. I click on the X but nothing happens.

• Fixed 0026819: Suggestion: Workspaces: Being able to close resource windows as part of the Ctrl+Tab dialog
Is it just me, am I mis-using it, or is anyone else noticing this issue?

1) CTRL+Home and CTRL+End don't jump to the top/bottom in the code editor anymore? I'm hoping that's just a bug 'cause I use those a ton, especially to jump up quick to check arguments etc lol

2) Also when I press End while the cursor is at the end of a line, it jumps all the way down to the bottom of the script in the code editor...I usually hit End to find/select any blank space past the end of my line of code to delete it so it doesn't get in the way when I go to cut/paste that code later and end up with huge blank spaces in the middle of things that I have to clean up. It used to be that hitting End at the end of a line just left the cursor there, any chance of going back to that? It's pretty disorienting to suddenly be at the bottom of my script and have to go back up to where I was when I was just making sure there weren't blank spaces past my semicolon lol

But on the other hand the Insert key now works, so yay thanks! :) Haven't played with the rest of the tweaks yet, the Home/End thing just threw me off right away so I wanted to post about it quick

Last edited:

sman

I have lots of very strange bugs in YYC (Windows and Android): floating numbers automatically rounded, acting like integers. Came back to previous runtime.

Last edited:
L

LordDarkenon

The latest release has caused Windows Firewall to request authorisation every time the debugger is run. Due to changes in this release, the runner.exe is now run from a different temp directory every time the debugger is run, so Windows Firewall thinks its a new executable. Windows Firewall does not allow a directory to be specified for authorisation - only executables on a defined directory path. Not only is it inconvenient to have to authorise the firewall every time the debugger is run, it also adds a new exception to Windows Firewall every time, causing a proliferation of redundant firewall authorisation rules. I have reported this as a bug, and it was initially dismissed but upon following it up further I have been told it is being looked into. I have researched Windows Firewall set-up and I don't think there is a work around until this is fixed - but if anyone does have one please post it.

Shut

The particle bug is still present.. and I can't compile my projects with YYC now because of that. :(

Please fix the bug. (Big difference between YYC and VM particles)

Slyddar

The CTRL + TAB window now toggles between the most recently in focus windows which for me is really great.
Yee! This one was mine, makes life so much easier. They also added my other suggestion.
  • Fixed 0026646: Workspaces: Ctrl+Tab active windows list should be ordered "most recently in focus" -> oldest
Can't see where it's listed but my other suggestion of clicking away when the CTRL-TAB window is up to cancel it, was also implemented. Before it used to switch to the next tabbed window. Wohoo!!!

Something not quite right with the IDE though. First time running my game it freezes the IDE when I close the game. End task and open GM2 again, load my project, and it's now idling at 30% cpu usage/500mb memory while doing nothing. Surely this can't be right?
Also middle clicking functions to open help opens the help tab and just leaves a white page with a loading icon.
Uninstalled and installing the old IDE for now, as it's unworkable like this. Will wait until it's more stable.
Update: Uninstalled and reinstalled 2.1.0.212 and it's now idling at 1-2% with 300mb usage. Seems more reasonable.

Last edited:
Also middle clicking functions to open help opens the help tab and just leaves a white page with a loading icon.
Interesting...I also get a white screen on the help page if I middle click on a function. But, this only happens when I have my VPN software turned on and connected.

When I turn VPN off, help page appears as normal.

So I assume that GMS 2 is not able to locate the local web server that is responsible for displaying the help pages, due to the internet settings being altered when I'm using VPN.

Is there anyway to download the old version of the mac build 2.1.0.212? I can no longer seem to run two instances of my game in VM while I am debugging. When I try and run two instances the new IDE asks if I want to stop the current one running. I click cancel and the IDE goes into a funky state where it won't make any builds. Can you provide the link to the old MAC IDE 2.1.0.212 the public build right before this latest one?

slojanko

Tried setting depth of a layer and got this:
Capture.PNG

Is reporting problems even worth it? I made 2 or 3 bug reports and they're all probably forgotten by now.

Is reporting problems even worth it? I made 2 or 3 bug reports and they're all probably forgotten by now.
Reporting problems is the only way YoYo are going to know about the issue. I'm sure they are doing everything they can to keep up. I can confirm I've had bug reports submitted and responded to within the past week.

G

I think it's a good idea, even if they don't respond. I think submitted bugs do go into some kind of process. I submitted the Android permissions bug and it was fixed admirably quickly, whereas someone posted it here back in February and it was seemingly ignored for that time. I never did get any kind of response--even an autoresponse with a ticket link--but I guess that's part of doing business with YYG.

Hyomoto

Sometimes it takes them a while to respond back, and a lot of times the responses I get are 'we launched an update, did this fix it for you?' Just respond back whether or not it did, it's about all you can do.

R

Rukiri

I dunno if this is a bug but this basically blurs the sprite however the code beneath does not. Did not happen in a previous version of game maker.
Code:
if (_tilex * _tilew >= x) {
x+=_spd; // if I change the _spd number it makes it even worse...
}
Code:
if (_tilex * _tilew > x) {
x+=_spd;
}

Z

Zeralith

The new "Randomized Splash System" in GameMaker 2.1.1.241 makes it so that custom Splashes, which come with Skins, do not function anymore.

In the previous versions of GameMaker, Splash Art would be loaded from (in Windows):

"%ProgramFiles%\GameMaker Studio 2\GUI\Skins\<SKIN_NAME>\Images\splash_background.png"

OR

"%ProgramData%\GameMakerStudio2\Skins\<SKIN_NAME>\Images\splash_background.png"​

In GameMaker 2.1.1.241, the Splash Art is now being loaded from:

"%ProgramFiles%\GameMaker Studio 2\Splash\*.png"​

This is outside of the Skins directory.

Please, revert things back (in a way) so that we can have our custom Skins load-up Splash Art that matches the color scheme of our Skin.

It would be best to load Splash Art from one or multiples of these locations instead:

"%ProgramFiles%\GameMaker Studio 2\GUI\Skins\<SKIN_NAME>\Splash\*.png"

OR

"%ProgramFiles%\GameMaker Studio 2\GUI\Skins\<SKIN_NAME>\Images\Splash\*.png"

OR

"%ProgramData%\GameMakerStudio2\Skins\<SKIN_NAME>\Splash\*.png"

OR

"%ProgramData%\GameMakerStudio2\Skins\<SKIN_NAME>\Images\Splash\*.png"​

Thank you.

Z

Zeralith

There is also an "X" to close the items in the CTRL + TAB, but it seems not working for me. I click on the X but nothing happens.

Is it just me, am I mis-using it, or is anyone else noticing this issue?
I had a similar issue and was able to resolve it by messing around with Skins.

Are you using a custom Skin? If you are using a custom Skin, just deleting (or replacing/parsing through) it's "\Layouts\lay_workspace_overview.xml" file might fix your issue.

If not using a custom Skin, then maybe try just loading-up, back-and-forth, between the "Light" and "Dark" Skins a couple of times might fix the issue as well.

@Zeralith Thanks for the tips. I'm not using a custom skin, but I have customised some of the fonts and display of the resource tree.

I tried toggling the dark and light skins back and forth a couple of times but no luck yet.

I'm on Mac by the way, it seems skins are stored in the application package itself, so I don't think (or don't know how) I can edit them myself.

C

Cricket

i can't install runtime

[23:20:25:885(b744)] Installing runtimes threw exception - System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'libclang.dll' is denied.

Is there any chance someone could post the link to the previous IDE for the mac build? This would at least put me back into a frame where I could work.