• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Xcode 9 and iOS 11 Support?

12ashbaker

Hello, is there any word about when Xcode 9 and iOS 11 will be supported for exporting? The GM versions are out for developers but still not supported. With the beta of Xcode 9 and iOS 11 I found a workaround by exporting to the emulator and then running on my iPhone through the beta of Xcode but right now the GM of Xcode 9 won't even work for my game. Also any word on how to optimize a game for the new display on the iPhone X?

Last edited by a moderator:

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We are working on this just now it will be out in a public release when it is finished.

The next public release is in test at the moment so it will at least be the version after that before it comes out.

Russell

R

RobbSnow

We are working on this just now it will be out in a public release when it is finished.

The next public release is in test at the moment so it will at least be the version after that before it comes out.

Russell
While I do appreciate all the hard work by the YoYo Games staff, it is a little disappointing. Two releases away sounds kinda long but it is better to have it done right rather than rushed.

Do you know of any problems that GMS2 might have with just upgrading to High Sierra but sticking with Xcode 8?

Edit: I know that the beta for High Sierra is not supported. Makes sense because it is beta software but hopefully the High Sierra release will be supported even if Xcode 9 is not yet.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We have learnt with Apple Beta releases to not get too excited about incompatibilities as every time we have spent time worrying about issues in the past they have all been fixed in later or final builds from Apple so we now wait until much closer to release when the final XCode releases come out to start worrying about any incompatibilities

Russell

F

FYVE

I got my game to export and then install on iOS 11 using Xcode 9... but I'm seeing some graphical issues. Lines appearing near sprites and weird flickering lines on surfaces. Should have waited lol Trying to revert back to iOS 10 now.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We have not been seeing any graphical corruption on iOS11 at all so that may a different issue - ensure that you clean your project before testing (or creating the executable).

Russell

tjuven

I've got my game running on iOS 11 trough xcode 9. I can also build and upload to TestFlight, however there is where the problem starts. My first binary I sent got rejected with the following answer:
"Missing Info.plist value - A value for the Info.plist key CFBundleIconName is missing in the bundle 'com.tobiasornberg.knightgame'. Apps that provide icons in the asset catalog must also provide this Info.plist key."
So I did some research and it seems like you now need to use Assets catalogs in xcode for icons and launch images, especially the big 1024x1024 AppIcon. I added these and uploaded the binary, just got an email saying my game has been approved for beta testing, yay!

R

rubna

I had this problem too (CFBundleIconName missing), and asked a friend of mine for help. He found a way to fix this.

Here are the steps to take:

drive(DOT)google(DOT)com/open?id=0B4ogTFzerQiPVjNKd2FEX0xJems
(can't post a real link because I haven't made 5 posts yet)

Turns out Game Maker doesn't export the new icons like it should. Downside is you have to do this each time you want to upload a new build.

Z

Zachary Helm

Thanks for those steps rubna, I'd like to add a 5th, for people not familiar with XCode.

After you have added your AppIcons you need to set the build target to Generic iOS Device, then use to the Product->Archive menu to build a new archive for submission.

These steps worked for me but it does seem to startup slower, lingering on that first frame after the splash screen for about half a second.

I wish there was some kind of warning to not update to XCode 9 (stable release now).

P

pSouper

I had this problem too (CFBundleIconName missing), and asked a friend of mine for help. He found a way to fix this.

Here are the steps to take:

drive(DOT)google(DOT)com/open?id=0B4ogTFzerQiPVjNKd2FEX0xJems
(can't post a real link because I haven't made 5 posts yet)

Turns out Game Maker doesn't export the new icons like it should. Downside is you have to do this each time you want to upload a new build.
this was perfect.. thanks