A little help with making a point and click adventure

S

Samstar33

Hi Everybody. I'm new to GMS2 and this forum and in search of useful guides or tutorials. I can find a lot of information on how to create platformers, but I want to create a point and click adventure game, but don't know how to start. I was wondering if I missed a tutorial on that subject or if you guys could point me in the right direction? Or may be help me out!! I would be willing to compensate you for showing how to get my game I have in the works up and running, I have all the assets made just a little stuck on the programming please let me know if you can help.

Thanks in advance!

D

David11

Honestly, I would start from the very begining. Was actually reading a topic aout 30 minutes ago, from a member, with a same question as you. Well, close to it. Just about everyone says the same thing. And that is to start simple, and work your way up to it.

jo-thijs

Hi Everybody. I'm new to GMS2 and this forum and in search of useful guides or tutorials. I can find a lot of information on how to create platformers, but I want to create a point and click adventure game, but don't know how to start. I was wondering if I missed a tutorial on that subject or if you guys could point me in the right direction? Or may be help me out!! I would be willing to compensate you for showing how to get my game I have in the works up and running, I have all the assets made just a little stuck on the programming please let me know if you can help.

Thanks in advance!
Hi and welcome to the GMC?

I'm wondering why your post looks so much like this one:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/a-point-click-adventure-game-how-to-start.29029/

You're not a spambot, are you?

D

David11

Wow jo-thijs you should be a detective :D Way to connect that one.

S

Samstar33

Sorry had to type a quick post well you see, I wasn't too sure what to post up didn't think anyone would respond back to me I am using game maker studios I am familiar enough with it but there's a few things, I am stuck on two things one is I am trying to use persistent on my object for a key by when you click it you destroy the object then it should appear up on top of the inventory, however when I leave the area and come back there's the other object again.

S

Samstar33

I read the other post and it didn't really help me that much, that's why I made my own post just looking for a few quick answers to where I am going wrong.

jo-thijs

Sorry had to type a quick post well you see, I wasn't too sure what to post up didn't think anyone would respond back to me I am using game maker studios I am familiar enough with it but there's a few things, I am stuck on two things one is I am trying to use persistent on my object for a key by when you click it you destroy the object then it should appear up on top of the inventory, however when I leave the area and come back there's the other object again.
I read the other post and it didn't really help me that much, that's why I made my own post just looking for a few quick answers to where I am going wrong.
Oh ok then, welcome to the GMC!

You mentioned you're stuck on 2 things, but you only mentioned 1 thing you're stuck on.

In GameMaker, when a persistent object gets destroyed, it can respawn again when going back to its room, it doesn't stay in memory.
Even deactivating the instance doesn't work.

What I'd probably do is the following:
When starting the game, set some global variable (like global.existential_map) to a newly created ds_map.
When you click on the key, you do:
Code:
global.existential_map[? id] = 0;
And in the create event of the key, you do:
Code:
if ds_map_exists(global.existential_map, id)
    instance_destroy();

S

Samstar33

Sorry the other is how to apply a locking door system in a point and click adventure game as I want the doors to not be responsive in the game until you get the key and use it to unlock the door. Plus the problem I have is using a persistent object as I am using a fake inventory where I want the item of the key to be destroyed when I pick it up and teleported into my inventory but the problem is I am not too sure how to change the persistent objects location. Then deactivate it one it's been used.

jo-thijs

Sorry the other is how to apply a locking door system in a point and click adventure game as I want the doors to not be responsive in the game until you get the key and use it to unlock the door. Plus the problem I have is using a persistent object as I am using a fake inventory where I want the item of the key to be destroyed when I pick it up and teleported into my inventory but the problem is I am not too sure how to change the persistent objects location. Then deactivate it one it's been used.
There are multiple ways of doing that.
What is often done in point and click games, is that you first have to select (and drag) the key from your inventory to the door in order for it to open.
So in the click event of the door, you would first check if its key object is selected in the inventory.

The key is best not made persistent, you'd better use someting like my previous suggestion,
keeping track of the destroyed objects in a global ds_map and destroying the objects in their create event if they appear in the ds_map.

It looks better to me not to move the objects though.
I'd just destroy the key when you click on it and update the ds_map and update the inventory object.
The inventory object would be a persistent object (placed only once in the game, in the first room)
that holds an array of object indices, of all te object you've picked up
and that holds a variable selected which can either be -1 for nothing being selected or an index of the array, indicating which item is selected.