• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Can't run game

E

ERIKLRL

Hi, it was fine until I got a compiler error, after that the game does run but it will only have this. (There is supposed to be the player and the level, but now is just the background. The text is on the top of all layers, and it is the only thing shown.)
Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 1.38.42 PM.png
I think there is something wrong with the camera, but I checked everything and it seems alright.
Can someone tell me what happened?

What was the compiler error?

Have you tried clearing the cache?

Try creating a new object, give it a sprite, maybe a circle, and don't add any code to it.

Place it in the room and run your game and see if it appears.

Check your layer settings, are you clearing them?

E

ERIKLRL

What was the compiler error?

Have you tried clearing the cache?

Try creating a new object, give it a sprite, maybe a circle, and don't add any code to it.

Place it in the room and run your game and see if it appears.

Check your layer settings, are you clearing them?
This is what the room looks like
Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 10.19.24 PM.png

I don't remember the detail of the compiler error, I was confused so I clicked it off and the camera stopped working.
The camera is following the player object.
I tried to place a new object, did nothing. The same thing happened.
How do you clean the cache?

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you clean the cache?
There is a broom icon in the tool bar.
upload_2017-9-4_2-20-43.png

Based on your screenshot above, it looks like your camera is in the top left corner of the room, which indeed is just a simple grey background.

And I see a tiny red dot there....is that the player character that the camera is meant to be following?

Otherwise where in the level is your player...if the view is following the player, the camera should be switching to where the player is on game start.

Where is the player object?

How did you setup the camera to follow the player? Did you do it through the settings in the room editor?

Do you have any other code that might be interfering with the object following settings? For example are you manually setting the position of the camera in code?

E

ERIKLRL

This is what the room looks like
View attachment 12483

I don't remember the detail of the compiler error, I was confused so I clicked it off and the camera stops working.
The camera is following the player object, was working.
I tried to place a new object, did nothing. The same thing happened.
View attachment 12484

Based on your screenshot above, it looks like your camera is in the top left corner of the room, which indeed is just a simple grey background.

And I see a tiny red dot there....is that the player character that the camera is meant to be following?

Otherwise where in the level is your player...if the view is following the player, the camera should be switching to where the player is on game start.

How did you setup the camera to follow the player? Did you do it through the settings in the room editor?

Do you have any other code that might be interfering with the object following settings? For example are you manually setting the position of the camera in code?
The camera is following the player object in the room at the bottom left. It was working and following the object before.
I thought I might be the camera stopped following the object so I placed a new object in the camera view, but it did not show when I run the game. Maybe all the instance is hidden for some reason since the background color changes when I change it.
I haven't added any code about the camera to any object.

E

ERIKLRL

The camera is following the player object in the room at the bottom left. It was working and following the object before.
I thought I might be the camera stopped following the object so I placed a new object in the camera view, but it did not show when I run the game. Maybe all the instance is hidden for some reason since the background color changes when I change it.
I haven't added any code about the camera to any object.
View attachment 12484

Okay, I cleared the cache, and it worked.
Thank you so much for the help!