GMC Jam Discussion The Extremely Aestival GMC Jam #5 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GVmG

Alright more news from my end.

Bad news: I didn't get anything else done *yet*, since my last update, but since I have the engine going, making a few levels shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Also bad news: I completely forgot I have a binge session with some people tonight, we're gonna watch way too much anime in a way too short span of time regardless of sleep schedules or the absence of one (in my case). That means I'm probably not gonna have nearly enough sleep tonight.

And more bad news: I don't think I'll be able to work on the game for the next few hours since I have to do stuff irl as well.

Good news: I'm very close to 40'000 total karma on reddit. I love me some fake meaningless internet points.

The M

I have an issue. I've been using draw_getpixel on my lightmap surface to get the light intensity at the player's position but apparently this no longer works if I use a view and the player is positioned outside of the view's size. That is, if the view is 100 pixels high and you stand at y=120 draw_getpixel returns 0 even though the view is centered on the player. Does anyone have an idea of what can be done? I'm sure I could find a workaround but it'd be inconvenient. ;)

G

gamemakermike

I have a question where do you send your game once its finished,I read the first page of the post,I understand you have to submit it as an executable file,but do you have to provide a link here or do we have to email it. I am new to all this. thanks everyone

The M

I have a question where do you send your game once its finished,I read the first page of the post,I understand you have to submit it as an executable file,but do you have to provide a link here or do we have to email it. I am new to all this. thanks everyone
You put a link in your post in the games topic. You'll have to provide the executable yourself, for example via Dropbox or some other hosting service.

O

Oyakiiv

still never looked up how to make gifs and will post screenies later, but currently have monsters that play red light green light.

HayManMarc

Made 6 different vehicle sprites for my game this morning. Want to make one more. Next, make a few buildings, then try to code some game flow and play. It's gonna be a tight squeeze to fit it all in, in time! Especially since I'm not 100% about how I want the game play.

But not now. It's time to go to work! Back at it in about 10 hours. Lol

O

Oyakiiv

dfsd.gif
thanks ghandpivot, here is babies first gif! yes I know the enemy is walking backwards, it will be fixed later. anyway monsters steal the power from the lamps. later there will be a generator to have the flame sprite give more power!

S

SSJCoder

Can we use sounds from soundbible?
  • the entry might use assets (graphics, audio, scripts, extensions, Marketplace resources etc.) created before the Jam, whether by team members or someone else; however, the credits should make clear where the assets come from and which were made before the Jam
Yes, but you need to mention that they were not made by you in the game (credits for example), and make sure you get the right to use them for your game (non commercial, if only for this jam)

M

Misty

K thanks. So just to be clear, it is okay to use Public Domain and attribution 3 sounds from soundbible.

S

SSJCoder

K thanks. So just to be clear, it is okay to use Public Domain and attribution 3 sounds from soundbible.
Yeah I would say, public domain is available to all, and this isn't commercial so =)

GMWolf

aka fel666
here is another update.
Still not a game.
Looks better though :)

I want to be able to flip the coin over, but my graphics code is already such a mess, IDK how thats gonna be possible.
im going to have to find another way to have "2 sides"
- welp, Drawing order is being annoying. and since my graphics are layer based, it's gonna be tricky to fix.... (perhaps i can force the 'depth'

Last edited:
G

GVmG

Very minor update: I fixed a problem my collision checking had on certain pixel coordinates. The fix was simply to remove a fix to another thing that actually didn't break or do anything wrong.

And I bought Fallout: New Vegas. Please, please, make it so I do NOT play that for hours tomorrow instead of working on my game...

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Completed the game and uploaded it, I'm not really feeling like jamming even more [needing my sleeps and relaxes and stuff after this workweek + today] so I'm happy I got something playable done with this concept. x3

Download link and stuff over on: https://yaru.itch.io/twowt

New screenshot:
upload_2017-8-27_0-22-13.png

HayManMarc

Nice! I was able to get about 45 minutes worth of coding done on my lunch break. Got the basics of car speed (with parallax adjustments), complete with a "full stop" function and direction facing. :)

HayManMarc

I made the 7th vehicle. Also made a building and coded it to move according to player's position. Still need to do a LOT more coding.
I need to sleep now. I'll code some more in the morning before work, then on lunch break. After work, I can stay up all night and try to finish. I seriously doubt I'll finish in time.
Here's a screen snippet...

G

GVmG

I just woke up and I still feel awful despite getting a normal amount of sleep and sleeping at normal times, this time.

I'll try to do something but I doubt I can get anything done for at least the next 6 hours :c

GMWolf

aka fel666
Finally figured out what my game mechanic will be.
nut seems like the "2 sides" bit wont be a thing...
At least I've got graphics down... (well, mostly).
Hmm so this discussion is still going?
I guess I'll post some GIFs I have.

(Sorry for bad quality)
Oh my god that's incredible!

O

Oyakiiv

the last day is here already! I have only put in about an hour today and I'm already feeling the pressure! if only I hadnt blown all of my vacation days for this year, then I could have had the weekend off!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Found some music (3 pieces) and stuck it in the "game". (still not a game yet.) That took way too long to do.
Here's my advice: If you use stock content, you should try to build up a collection of cool stuff (with attribution notices stored alongside them) so you can dig up suitable files quickly... and it also lets you have lots of music lying around to listen to while working OwO

(I composed the music for my jam game yesterday, it's probably pretty obvious it's rushed and stuff... learning to make music is also kinda handy but it takes tons of work to learn making something GOOD...)

D

DocNogloff

I'll be at school for the entirety of the rest of jam time, so only 5 levels but I did manage something at least :D

G

GVmG

Unfortunately I have stuff to do overnight, which is just great. I doubt I'll be able to add anything, I'm already very behind, but at least I have something this time.

So yeah, here's what I got so far, not even gonna bother posting it in the games topic: https://rain.s-ul.eu/eeEJ5a4R.zip

cya again in like a year lol

Status
Not open for further replies.