Released OLD TV Filter for GameMaker

A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

OLD TV FILTER FOR GAMEMAKER RELEASED!

hello everyone!

a long time ago we made a very nice tv filter for a game called Oniken, we really liked the effect we made, and in octuber of 2014 we released it on Unity Asset Store with a very nice success!

and finally we are testing the new version on GameMaker!
I know, there some scanline effects for GMS, but, we want to create something different. This isn't just a screen distortion with scanline, we are re-creating a NTSC signal to make your game really looks old, with lots of settings where you can re-create composite or s-video signal, VHS artifacts, even the RGB CRT pixel!

thanks :D and here a link with more screens from the development https://imgur.com/a/l2wi8 (we are developing this new filter for Unity, Unreal, GameMaker and Construct)

oh! follow us on twitter too :D @vortexstudios @alexribeirodesa

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

hello again!

today the guys from Joymasher tested the filter in their new game, and looks awesome :3
we have found some issues when imported the extension on GMS2, now we are working to solve them...

Blazing Chrome - JoyMasher

and here a bonus, the dot crowling working :3

Sonic - Sega

I enjoyed Oniken, played it quite a few times.

I have tested a lot of filters. Some work well... others don't work outside their own demo without some extensive reworking. Others have some extreme issues working with GUI.

Is yours a shader or an object with a draw event such as a draw surface part?

*edit* I see now there is an object in one of the images on your imgur. At least for the settings.

Last edited:
A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

I enjoyed Oniken, played it quite a few times.

I have tested a lot of filters. Some work well... others don't work outside their own demo without some extensive reworking. Others have some extreme issues working with GUI.

Is yours a shader or an object with a draw event such as a draw surface part?

*edit* I see now there is an object in one of the images on your imgur. At least for the settings.
hello :)

Oniken used the very first version from this shader, it was much more a prototype than the version 1 XD hahaha

about this version, yes, it is a post-processing shader and we use a object as presets, so, it's easy to create and share presets :)
we use the draw event just to apply the post processing shaders, it isn't just a overlay or a mask.

here a screen from everything we have on this filter and some settings on base preset :)
and if have any other question just post here ;D

Hyomoto

Quite interested, since I haven't found a filter like this that works well at different resolutions. There are other issues as well, but the short of it is I'm definitely interested in another option. I'd be glad to try it out once it's available. It looks to be a very authentic effect.

A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

good news everyone!

if you follow my Twitter probably will know I'm developing the filter first on Unity (because I really know the engine and his stuff), then, porting it to GameMaker...
but where is the good news?! I'm was working optimizing the shaders... and, it's done \o/
as the unity version is done, we had send some betas to some of our friends to test it and send some feeback...

as the Unity version is done It's time for GameMaker... port all the stuff from CG (Unity Shader) to GLSL (GameMaker Shader) will be fast, BUT, as I'm new on GMS I need the help from the guys from JoyMasher to test it... There a test version, but this version is very outdated as we made so many changes and optimizations...

I'll try to upload it to GMS market this month!! I'm coding it on GMS1.4, they are using the GMS2, we are working to make it work on both versions...

thanks, and if want to know more about our stuff, follow or twitter on vortexstudios and my twitter alexribeirodesa :D I'm posting news, screens everyday, there even a video there ^^

P

PotatoMuffin

This looks pretty sweet so far. Exactly the type of shader I was looking for.

A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

hello again everyone!

first, the Unity version is online (https://goo.gl/zQfHjz) :D we got some very nice feedback, we did some fixes and now we are working on GameMaker version...
and as I said, lots of progress and it's almost done <3

I posted 2 pics in my twitter (@alexribeirodesa) :D

what can I say about the GMS version?? we want to finish the new beta next week, and we will send it to some devs to test and get some feedback :)
while they are testing, we will fix some bugs and prepare all the stuff to publish in the asset store... (I need the GMS2 too xD need to upgrade)

oh! as we have a new HumbleBundle with GMS1.4 we got some questions asking if it will be supported, and, yes, we are developing on GMS1.4, thats why I need some devs to test on GMS2 :)

are you developing an awesome game and want to the beta?? send a msg with a pic from your game ^^

thanks again guys \o/

A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

we had sent the beta version to some devs today, now we are just waiting the feedbacks, if there any bug or any other comments...
and here the first screen from the old tv filter on gamemaker store <3

the filter is awesome! we are very happy to see how easy was the port from unity to gamemaker! not just this, we ported it with EVERY features \o/

hope you guys like it :D

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Looks amazing! I've seen several effects that try to emulate old CRT TVs but none of them has been this good-looking (I like how well-structured and commented the code is) or so in-depth, it's just been scanlines and tubifying the surface a bit, at most.

M

MetaSpace

This looks amazing. Hope you will put some reasonable pricetag on this module on the marketplace ;)

A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

ok, the development is VERY VERY dony, we got so many great feedback and so many asking, "hey alexandre, how much???"...
ready??

3... 2... 1...

you will can buy it for just one multiplujillion, nine obsquatumatillion, six hundred and twenty-three dollars and sixty-two cents!!! ;););)
hahahaha

ok, our plan is to sell the pack for just 14.99... yes, you didn't need to be the richest duck in the world to get it :D

tomorrow I'll buy all the GMS 1.4 and 2 stuff, and I want to send a big thanks to Humble Bundle and YoYo Games, without it would be impossible for me to give support for the both version NOW!

about the filter, it's amazing how awesome it become! we worked very hard to try to achieve the best effect we can, and, I really think we achieve it!
we show the first screen of this new filter a month ago, but, was almost 3 months researching, testing, talking about it to the developers on facebook, twitter, testing again... it wasn't a easy job when you think that today we live, full time, developing stuff to make your game awesome :D
that was my very first time on gamemaker, and I need to send a big thanks to everyone who give support, sent feedback, asked about it here, on tigsource or in my twitter, you guys are awesome!!! loved the GMS community!!! and I want to send a big thanks to Iuri, the guy who are coding the Blazing Chrome, he helped me a lot in the begin of the development, the first tests, teaching me how to use the engine... and a big thanks to a old friend, who isn't here anymore, but, did so much for the indie comunity here in Brazil and, for me, he was awesome and learned a lot with him!

so... thats it :) this post was just to send a big thanks to everyone :D
and, this is just the first!

A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

hello again \o

first, now I have both gamemaker 1.4 and 2 pro \o/ now I can test and debug all the stuff much more fast :D

now let's talk about the beta, I've got some screens from some games using the beta version, and some bugs too :p
but the games are looking great! loved it and waiting to play all of then \o/

today I'm working in some tutorial and sample scenes... and a big question... this is the only way to create UI?? there nothing ready to use?? :eek:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
there nothing ready to use?? :eek:
Yes. That goes not just for UI, but for gameplay and such as well. GM's power is that you can make anything with it, with the drawback that you have to make everything you want to use. :p
More specialized engines like RPG Maker and GameGuru has more ready-made stuff, but you're forced to use it so it limits your creative freedom.

A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

Yes. That goes not just for UI, but for gameplay and such as well. GM's power is that you can make anything with it, with the drawback that you have to make everything you want to use. :p
More specialized engines like RPG Maker and GameGuru has more ready-made stuff, but you're forced to use it so it limits your creative freedom.
I'm too old for that xD hahahaha I didn't code a UI since DirectX 7 hahahaha
but it's ok... I just need some simple buttons, it's easy to code :)

later I develop some UI framework with lots of options to customizate it ^^

and I've made a little mistake in my last post, I don't know why but I've said I bought unreal, what I've bought is the gamemaker, and now I have both 1.4 and 2, with this I can debug the stuff much more fast \o/

and I have lots of options to build :p

There is a ui on the market place, I think it's called hanif flat ui...I just started using it, it's really good in my opinion if you need to quickly setup a gui. And it was free last time I checked.

A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

There is a ui on the market place, I think it's called hanif flat ui...I just started using it, it's really good in my opinion if you need to quickly setup a gui. And it was free last time I checked.
I saw some, and looks awesome, but I can't use a asset from another developer to create the sample rooms in my asset... :(
so, in my case, I have no option, I need to develop my own... if I'm was developing a game use something from the store isn't a problem, it in many cases is much more easy and cheap than develop my own...

A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

hello again!

I'm a little busy these days, right now I'm working in a gamejam here in brazil, and who needs to build a website? yep, it's me xD
BUT, I'll try to keep the schedule to release the asset this week!

I've got some new screens from some devs who are testing the filter, loved the result, and I'll play all of these games \o/
Today, Danilo from JoyMasher posted a picture from their new game, we got some very nice feedback :D
Here the post https://twitter.com/Danilo_Noites/status/897210878612967424 :)

darkfalzx

Any updates on these wonderful shaders? Would I be able to buy them any time soon? I currently have a number of pixel art games both released and WIP that would've greatly benefited from having this as an option.

A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

Any updates on these wonderful shaders? Would I be able to buy them any time soon? I currently have a number of pixel art games both released and WIP that would've greatly benefited from having this as an option.
sure, we are fixing all the issues we get from the beta testers, our plan, release for both GMS 1.4 and 2 between this and next week!

darkfalzx

That's awesome news! I have completely avoided using shaders in my games up until now, but this is just too nice to pass by. Here's eagerly hoping for a seamless integration.. though now that I think about it, I might've gotten a bit too clever with triple-buffering in one of my games: )

A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

7:12 am and didn't slept yet, but, I think the noise issue on GMS2 is solved :) and the scanlines are much more pretty too :3

A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

just a very small post... I don't know why, but we are having different behaviors on windows and mac, we are working to solve it asap to publish the filter :)

A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

hello everyone,

I didn't post anything new, we got a small delay on the filter, and this post is just to say what are happening here xD

first, the OLD TV Filter for GameMaker 1.4 is done, me and some other devs didn't have found any issue, but, I'll try to do a very small change before release... and if it works I really think will solve the issue on GMS2 too :)
today we have some problens when resize the screen, minimise is resize, maximize is a resize, switch to windowed or full screen mode are a resize too, so, this is a big problem!

second, I'm helping organize a gamejam here in são paulo, but it isn't a online event... and my job, make the eletric works for almost 300 developers xD yep, it's a hard work :)

and for final, as I'm was working a lot on the filter, on the gamejam and in another project i've got sick xD I think my head will explode xD hahahaha
here is just me and my brother, he helped a lot to develop the math from the shader, but, now he is working in another project so, I'm solo on the filter xD

ok, I need some sleep, I'll try to return tomorrow with something new ^^

the true is, there something new, the guys from Blazing Chrome posted some videos with the filter :D check how it's looks and follow their topic too, I want to play their games in a arcade cabinet :3 (https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/blazing-chrome-16-bit-run-n-gun.20405/)

T

The Magic Circle

This is so cool! I'm more of an RPGMaker guy, but I love that this exists. Since you did this for Unity and now for GameMaker, do you have any plans to create versions for other engines?

A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

This is so cool! I'm more of an RPGMaker guy, but I love that this exists. Since you did this for Unity and now for GameMaker, do you have any plans to create versions for other engines?
We will port to Unreal and Construct when finish the GMS version... We are really thinking in port it to RPGMaker too, but nothing official yet :)

RangerX

I see that in the video for Blazing Chrome, the scanlines look vertical and this really kills the feeling for me.
Is it only their settings that caused that or your filter is made like that? Because scanlines are horizontal, not vertical.

Please excuse the double post.

I'm testing the shader at the moment and it does have horizontal and vertical scanlines options as well as the aperture grill setting.
@RangerX

Yes and yes.
At the moment you can choose one of three options, horizontal scan lines, vertical scanlines and the grill.

And there are variables to control things like number of scanlines, intensity etc..

Or you can turn them off altogether and just use the tube effect or one of the other effects.

A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

Yes and yes.
At the moment you can choose one of three options, horizontal scan lines, vertical scanlines and the grill.

And there are variables to control things like number of scanlines, intensity etc..

Or you can turn them off altogether and just use the tube effect or one of the other effects.
thanks for helping the RangerX ^^

about blazing chrome, they are using the "rgb" effect, it creates a effect like the triniton :)

here a picture from the 3 default scanlines patterns ^^ there the traditional horizontal scanlinem a dot matrix and the rgb... the rgb looks amazing on 1080p more. I've made this picture using 1080p resolution... what they said is, the player can select the scanline, if the developer is here, just post about it ^^

but, if the dev didn't like to use a scanline? yes, you can disable it with no problem, inside the preset of by code...
and if the dev want to use a scanline, but, didn't like any of the default patterns? yes, you can create new ones, and it is very easy too :)

just check the sprite folder ;)

and to close the post, I really think we have solved every issues :D I'd like to send a huge thanks for IndianaBones and his team, they are doing the beta test on their game and sent lots of feedbacks and helped so much to make everything works on both GMS 1.4 and 2 \o/ post some screens from your game when you can dude ^^

A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

we will send a new version to the store this week, if we didn't find any other bug, we will open the asset next week :)

A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

hello everyone!! it's the time!! we didn't got any new bug!! \o/

it's 2am here in Brazil, still working on some arts for the big release :)
yes! it will be released today :D

I'm really happy with the filter, and loved to work with gamemaker, there some things that I didn't got yet, but, it's a little easy to use and develop :)
I'll develop more stuff to gms very soon ^^ and I'll try to develop a game with it to learn more about the engine :D

so, time to sleep, very tired... :)

almost forgot! check another beta using the filter :D and you can support their game on indiegogo :3
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/whip-master-game