• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.1.0.212

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update 2.1.0.212 of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using http://www.yoyogames.com/bug

You should post here if:
  • You think you have found a bug and have exhausted all other possibilities (ie: code error, incorrect setup, etc...)
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (ie: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found in the ProgramData folder for GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behavior
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Note that each new version released the old topic will be locked and a new topic will be made, so that all issues reported can be tracked correctly on a per-version basis. If you think your issue has not been fixed in the subsequent update, then please add a comment in the thread and ensure you file a bug report. (Please don’t continue doing this for every future release until your bug is fixed - just file the report and then you can leave off mentioning it in the thread).

Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

Last edited:
Queue music...I'm so excited!

Integrated Debugger Yes!!!!! Finally!!!

Resource Tree Guidelines !!!!!

Code-Folding Support !!!! - Not one I was particularly needing, but I know I lot of people want this.

sylvain_l

+1 for the debugger (so used to have it as an additionnal windows that I closed the IDE to get rid of the debugger window :D)

-1 for the default new project executable name ${project_name}

B

Bayesian

It seems the font for the code editor has changed, how can we change it back?

Cpaz

HALLELUJAH ACTIVATE/DEACTIVATE FUNCTIONS ARE FIXED!!!

Oh yeah. Mac stuff too. That's cool too.

A

Almericus

My entire project is broken with this version....My character moving speed is glitching out, fonts are changed, everything is slowed down/ crashing.
Why did you change everything???

reverting to previous version.

A

Almericus

reverting back to previous version didn't fixed it -- Now I am pissed.

S

Skaz

It seems the font for the code editor has changed, how can we change it back?
Not only the code editor, but the whole IDE font is smaller now, to much to be comfortable for me. I tried to change the % to various values, 115% seem about right but I can swear the text is not as clean as it used to be. What happened?

rIKmAN

I'm vocal when things are bad/broken, so it's only fair I do the same when an update is good.

Very pleased with the new resource tree layout (at last!), and the debugger looks great too though I haven't really 'used' it yet.
Also code folding has made it in (awesome!) and I like the new font too, reminds me of Football Manager (good times!)

Generally seems like good solid improvements all round on this one.

I've only been using the new version for around 20-30mins so I may not have seen everything or found any issues, but I'm very impressed so far, good job on this one YYG!

Last edited:
A

Almericus

I have deleted the Asset cache folder around the same time of the upgrade could it cause some issues? I really want to enjoy it like everyone else but my stuff is broke right now and this is ever since that upgrade.

DukeSoft

So far so good.. Hefty multiplayer application with a lot of surface / view / shader action going on. Love the new resource tree.

B

basement ape

I really dig the new resource tree! So much easier to tell what's what at a glance now.

Code-sectioning is also great. It crapped out on me at one point though. I was copy-pasting #region around inside a 350-lines script to find the best place to section off a piece of code when the editor and the whole system became unresponsive, like I had run out of page-memory or something. Further down the code there was already an #endregion line. The computer didn't pick up speed again until I force-quit the editor.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Um... Is there maybe a way to make brackets function as #region and #endregion?
It's kind of standard in.... Well every IDE. I love the code folding, but the extra steps for it seem unnecessary.

Also, yes in love with the resource treeeeeeeeee

E

Edmanbosch

I really like the new resource tree so far, so much better. And the debugger is pretty cool too. The region/endregion is really cool, but I wish it would do the same for brackets.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Um... Is there maybe a way to make brackets function as #region and #endregion?
It's kind of standard in.... Well every IDE. I love the code folding, but the extra steps for it seem unnecessary.

Also, yes in love with the resource treeeeeeeeee
To me honestly the fact that they implemented it this way is a reason to not implement it at all. They really should've used the brackets instead like every normal IDE handles it.

I'm really hoping this doesn't further break my projects after reading what @Almericus said...

E

Edmanbosch

To me honestly the fact that they implemented it this way is a reason to not implement it at all. They really should've used the brackets instead like every normal IDE handles it.

I'm really hoping this doesn't further break my projects after reading what @Almericus said...
Even if they did put the bracket folding in, they still would've put in the region and endregion because it's also a common feature in IDEs.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I'm not so crazy about the new resource tree, it looks like all they did was add lines around each resource category. And it's confusing because they grayed out the resource folders that are empty. Usually when something is grayed out in a UI it indicates the feature is either disabled or not implemented yet by the software developers. Also the new font looks awful, I really don't know why they felt the need to change it. I prefered the old one big time.

S

SSJCoder

Certainly an improvement in the compile time =P (about 30% less time to compile)
Cool new font, too

G

Guest User

I'm not so crazy about the new resource tree, it looks like all they did was add lines around each resource category. And it's confusing because they grayed out the resource folders that are empty. Usually when something is grayed out in a UI it indicates the feature is either disabled or not implemented yet by the software developers. Also the new font looks awful, I really don't know why they felt the need to change it. I prefered the old one big time.
!! i know this :)
- File > Preferences > Resource Tree disable 'Show Horizontal Line Separators' and 'Show Tree Lines'
- File > Preferences > Resource Tree > Colors modify 'Font' under 'Default' (for the asset categories and assets) and 'Resource Label' (for Group Folders).

Haven't used enough of GMS2 to really know what changed. But the generally more positive reactions in this thread make me pretty happy. It means GMS2 may actually continually improve, like I assumed it would, and in a couple months it'll be an easier transition.

I'm thinking of using GMS2 for the jam tomorrow to get accustomed to it. Who knows what'll happen with that...

D

Deeje

I broke my game by sorting sprites/objects into groups! I thought surely I must have screwed something up, so I loaded a previous version of the project and tried organizing that one, and it also broke that version too. How is this even possible, as I didn't change a single line of code? Something to do with indexing? No issue prior to 2.1, btw.

S

SSJCoder

I broke my game by sorting sprites/objects into groups! I thought surely I must have screwed something up, so I loaded a previous version of the project and tried organizing that one, and it also broke that version too. How is this even possible, as I didn't change a single line of code? Something to do with indexing? No issue prior to 2.1, btw.
Well make sure you file a bug, it's to be expected

S

Sam (Deleted User)

It's not really confusing because you know that in GMS it means "this folder is empty", and not "this folder is disabled". :p
lol yeah i know i was just stating that is not a common practice.

!! i know this :)
- File > Preferences > Resource Tree disable 'Show Horizontal Line Separators' and 'Show Tree Lines'
- File > Preferences > Resource Tree > Colors modify 'Font' under 'Default' (for the asset categories and assets) and 'Resource Label' (for Group Folders).
thank you hippie, i knew i could always count on you :)

E

Excalipur

I haven't done a lot of programming in other languages, but I can say that the #region and and #regionend functions are helping me sort my code tremendously. So even if they aren't as perfect as they could be, I'm really happy to have the functionality. Also, so far I haven't really had any (new) issues which is good.

However...I haven't tried nesting a region inside another region yet so that very well could be problematic and causing a memory leak.

Just wanted to say a very heartfelt THANK YOU for the code folding because my 1000+ line codes can now be much more readable and easier to navigate.

Right, just seemed odd that ordering in the IDE would have any effect elsewhere.
If your code somehow uses/depends on the numerical resource index and therefore the order of resources in the resource tree, you need to change your code. Maybe start a separate forum topic if you need help with that.

This is because, if you didn't already know, the resources index number is determined by its order in the resource tree. A resource that returns the index of 10, will return a different index if I move it to other position in the tree.

If not, and you think it may be a bug, file a bug report as suggested earlier.

H

HW.

IDE works well like previous version.
Runtime works well like previous version.
Android export works well like previous version.

This update is OKAY. No broken things found so far.

My opinion for this update:
I do not mind the new resources tree / old resources tree. All is good. No font problem. The new is slightly better.
I don't use #region. I hope it doesn't give problem to users not using it.

Feedback for YYG devs >>> Oh in your spare time, i hope YoYoGames will update its official extension on marketplace:, especially
1. Updates for "Google Play Services" extension for Android, especially new SDK for Admob (rewards ads). <----- i think all "GMS2 Mobile" users waiting for this.
...and new features on GMS2 roadmap list:
2. i also am looking forward to "Mobile template" view listed on GMS2 roadmap list. <----- i think all "GMS2 Mobile" users waiting for this.
3. Lightweight objects.
Other than those, i do not really need anything more (at least for this time lol), Btw, I do not refuse any stability, faster, and other improvements either.

Keep Up The Good Work, YYG! Many thanks. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabnock

RESOLVED - MAJOR issue with GMS2 Version 2.1.0.204 saving project..

Any time i save out my project with a new date stamp i.e My_Project 25082017 it will not run once reloaded.

I am getting the following in the Compile window.

Error : Missing Main()

i have managed to load and run a previous back up so i am fairly confident i haven't lost anything but am not confident to use the software until there is a solution.

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@Sabnock Can you send us the original project and also your C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\ui.log file, please, in a new Helpdesk ticket. Then we'll try to reproduce here.

We've reproduced the code folding causing very high RAM leaks just now, so are trying to fix asap. If you're not using #regions, then you're fine. http://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=27549

Last edited:

Sabnock

@Sabnock Can you send us the original project and also your C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\ui.log file, please, in a new Helpdesk ticket. Then we'll try to reproduce here.

We've reproduced the code folding causing very high RAM leaks just now, so are trying to fix asap. If you're not using #regions, then you're fine. http://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=27549
Hi Dan

I have fixed it by removing a 3rd party Shader I was using (Free - CRT Shader) which for some reason wasn't working correctly after the latest update.

All working good now and my panic is over.

Thanks

DukeSoft

While you're making code folding use brackets like regular IDE's, could you also start using regular Docblock syntax for the function descriptions, instead of this weird custom one? :D

Code:
/**
* Function description
* @param int x
* @param int y
* @return bool
*/
I can't even find the original, custom, GML version anywhere.

One small bug introduced in this patch:

1) Use Ctrl + Shift + F to do a global search, then enter text for GMS to find.

2) In the search results, double-click the line of your choice.

3) We expect this to open whatever script/object the word is in, and scroll down to the exact location where the word was found. However, it just opens the document and doesn't scroll down. Upon double-clicking again, it still does nothing. Instead, we have to click into the window that contains the word, then double-click the console again for it to work as expected.

A

Andy

Very nice update. I am happy that there is now an expand all function on the resource tree, not just collapse all! :)

Is there a collapse all function? So far I've only seen it happen randomly
:)

I don't know if there is a bug filed for this or not, it happens to me too.

If I drag an existing script into a script group folder, the entire resource tree collapses and puts the focus on some random object in the object folders. *every-freaking-time*

Thank goodness I can drag multiple scripts at the same time, or it would be infinitely more troublesome.

Ladi_Pix3l

This update is nice but ummm (probably just me nitpicking) I think you should've left the resource tree alone and just allow the "developer" to discover the new flips and tricks you guys placed. Seems like a lot of people are a little salty about changing the way they look at this engine (including me :rolleyes:)

Not that we cant change it back or anything, it just seems mean to make us do that lol

P

psyke

I loved what you've done with the new Debugger Tool, I also liked the new Resource Tree.

Here is a screenshot if anyone wants to see what the new Debugger/Resource Tree looks like:
GMS2.jpg

You guys also fixed the "<unknown instance>" problem in the debugger, thanks!

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
One small bug introduced in this patch:

1) Use Ctrl + Shift + F to do a global search, then enter text for GMS to find.

2) In the search results, double-click the line of your choice.

3) We expect this to open whatever script/object the word is in, and scroll down to the exact location where the word was found. However, it just opens the document and doesn't scroll down. Upon double-clicking again, it still does nothing. Instead, we have to click into the window that contains the word, then double-click the console again for it to work as expected.
We've noticed this internally. http://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=27536

B

Beleg

Hello, it seems that I am in the following situation :

"Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (ie: code that worked previously now does not)"

My game runs fine under the previous runtime feed (version no. 2.0.7.110). However something is going wrong under the new one (version no. 2.1.0.135).

Some objects with a sprite which were visible during my first visit to their room, turn unexpectly invisible when I leave then come back to that room. Not all objects are affected by the problem. All these objects are on the one and only layer of the room. There is also a background with tiles in this room.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: the instance draw order in my project was affected by the 2.0.7.110 version, so it seemed some objects with sprite turned invisible. But I solved the problem by handling the depth of my objects more accurately.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

David Berkompas

That sounds like you need to enable persistence on the room?

Dave