OFFICIAL GameMaker Studio 2 - Roadmap update

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rukiri

I was aware of that as well I mean...c'mon it's the most common "2D" feature of any game engine in the last 10 years! Yes, Game Maker has shape collision but with physics only, you don't need physics in a RPG... I mean, why neglect such a common feature amongst every game engine? You guys would probably need to bring in rigid and kinematicbody as well.. very easy should just be a simple check box in the object or uncheck it and it works as is right now.

T

tua

Will macOS IDE Public Beta be released next week? I'm a little bit worried because Q2 is almost over.

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
@Rukiri: Sorry to hear that you feel that way, but I'm pretty sure that Mike didn't mean to sound rude. To be honest, this announcement has gradually turned into a Q&A over the course of its existense. Let's use this topic for discussing the update itself rather than asking for new potential roadmap items. YYG has a mechanism in place to allow GM users to make their suggestions, but this topic sadly is not a part of that. No need to be disheartened if you don't get the reply you were expecting here.

In fact, a suggestion about a similar feature on the bug tracker was assigned not too long ago. It might get added down the road, not just in the current roadmap's timeframe. Lots of probability there.

@tua: YYG (usually) don't pre-announce release dates. You know only when it actually happens. Q2 isn't a hard deadline, for that matter. It might as well be released a couple of weeks into Q3. Or perhaps the next moment. Who knows.

Reactions: tua
K

Kuro

Let's use this topic for discussing the update itself rather than asking for new potential roadmap items.
I have an on topic question about something that's currently on the roadmap. What are YYG's plans for the Garbage collector? Is it going to be an optional thing we can call only when we want it, or is it going to be doing its own thing with few options for fine control from us?

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@Kuro - we will definitely have an on/off for the Garbage Collector, but I suspect there will not be a lot of fine grain control apart from that, it's not like we currently have any destructors or finalisers (NOTE: Instances do not count as the room/layer keeps a reference to them even if you do not).

The current explicit creation and destruction will still be there... Garbage Collection will be used for more transient (lite objects).

Russell

GMWolf

aka fel666
@Kuro - we will definitely have an on/off for the Garbage Collector, but I suspect there will not be a lot of fine grain control apart from that, it's not like we currently have any destructors or finalisers (NOTE: Instances do not count as the room/layer keeps a reference to them even if you do not).

The current explicit creation and destruction will still be there... Garbage Collection will be used for more transient (lite objects).

Russell
Will the garbage collector work better than the one in place for arrays? My last test indicated it did not know how to deal with cyclical references.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Yes the Garbage Collector handles cyclical references just fine (Yes I have it working in an experimental form, but it needs a lot of work before we can release it) and we made it primarily because of that issue with arrays and tidying them all up properly (along with maps and lists, which have similar issues).

Russell

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Some time ago I posted to ask for some advanced abilities for the timeline...
My initial ideia was to use the timelines functionalities for building a tween system.

1) being able to add multiple scripts to a point in time...
2) add the possibility to reverse the timeline....
4) add the possibility to pass arguments to the timeline scripts...
5) allow multiple timelines at the same time (one to control the alpha and one for the position, for example)

When I posted this topic the answer from the crew was that timelines were going to have a revamp but nothing appeared in the roadmap. Was that ideia forgotten of abandoned?!

for example:

timeline_moment_add_script(tl_move_tween, 0, scr_move_to, [10, 2]);
timeline_moment_add_script(tl_move_tween, 1, scr_move_to, [12, 2]);
timeline_moment_add_script(tl_move_tween, 2, scr_move_to, [14, 2]);
timeline_moment_add_script(tl_move_tween, 3, scr_move_to, [16, 2]);
timeline_moment_add_script(tl_move_tween, 4, scr_move_to, [18, 2]);
timeline_moment_add_script(tl_move_tween, 5, scr_move_to, [20, 2]);

the last argument [...] could be an array with the arguments to be passed (this could be the position to move to).
also allowing multiple scripts per moments would be awesome... even if it is only through code!

PS: Also GUI components would be great and though I'm pretty sure they will be added... they are not in the roadmap (are there some surprise/bonus hidden items not displayed in the roadmap? ;) )

Last edited:
J

john5879

I've been trying on and off game development for years. After often being disappointed in the time it took me to progress, I'm kind of over trying to get better at coding, I accept that I'll never been good at it. I'm delving into gamedev again, after maybe more than 2 years, and now I'd like to feel like I'm progressing instead of being stuck on simple mechanics for days, which is what led me to Game Maker. All that to say, right now runtime autotiling is very, very sorely lacking for me. I have been looking into autotiling for days, and admittedly I've learned some things, but as I said I'm just not very good, and I'm sure what I've been trying to do (TBS-style fog of war) isn't that hard, plus the use is only cosmetic (I can get big, square black and transparent tiles fine), so it's frustrating to feel stuck on it.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Looked it up, and it indeed seems a bit complicated...
  • First you create a layer
  • Then you create a tilemap in the layer
  • THEN you can start adding tiles with tilemap_set or tilemap_set_at_pixel
I think the hurdle here is that it's not clear from the examples in the manual what the data you'd actually PLACE in the tilemap is from the examples, for instance, if you'd want to place a certain tile, how would you get its ID from the tilesets? I'll assume tile 0 is the top-left corner of the tileset (the eraser) and then tile 1 is the one right of that, tile 2 the next one, etc, but that's just an educated guess. It's also not clear whether tiles are automatically tiled when you place an autotile or whether you manually need to compute the ID.

Anyway, hope this helped somewhat.

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I've been trying on and off game development for years. After often being disappointed in the time it took me to progress, I'm kind of over trying to get better at coding, I accept that I'll never been good at it. I'm delving into gamedev again, after maybe more than 2 years, and now I'd like to feel like I'm progressing instead of being stuck on simple mechanics for days, which is what led me to Game Maker. All that to say, right now runtime autotiling is very, very sorely lacking for me. I have been looking into autotiling for days, and admittedly I've learned some things, but as I said I'm just not very good, and I'm sure what I've been trying to do (TBS-style fog of war) isn't that hard, plus the use is only cosmetic (I can get big, square black and transparent tiles fine), so it's frustrating to feel stuck on it.
What if you created your map as usual,
Then create a tilemap layer above it... and fill it all with a black tile ;) then make this tilemap layer hidden (you'll have to make it visible when the game starts). Then just clear the tiles you want to reveal the map beneath it.... as your player walks ;) using tilemap_set_at_pixel as @Yal said ;)

EDIT: now that I read my post you can make the fog layer programmatically, just create a layer and fill everything with an opaque tile. :)

Last edited:

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I think they wanted nice corners and stuff to the fog, not just every cell of fog being a featureless rectangle.

G

Gargo

Don't you plan autolayout which allows to align sprites and objects to any side (not top left corner only)? It is already implemented in Unity, WPF, xCode, html and etc.
I have also found the following properties:
  • instance.bbox_top
  • instance.bbox_bottom
  • instance.bbox_left
  • instance.bbox_right
  • instance.sprite_width
  • instance.sprite_height
But the problem is they are readonly.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Don't you plan autolayout which allows to align sprites and objects to any side (not top left corner only)? It is already implemented in Unity, WPF, xCode, html and etc.
I have also found the following properties:
  • instance.bbox_top
  • instance.bbox_bottom
  • instance.bbox_left
  • instance.bbox_right
  • instance.sprite_width
  • instance.sprite_height
But the problem is they are readonly.
They are read only, but you can manipulate them with other variables (x, y and image_xscale, image_yscale )

I have already suggested they make them modifiable but it's apparently not something they want to do.

E

Edmanbosch

If you mean the pivot of the sprite, you already can do this.

G

Gargo

If you mean the pivot of the sprite, you already can do this.
I mean I want for example to place a square object into right bottom corner and its size and distances to right and bottom sides should be fixed independently from the device resolution

And using pivot in this situation is a bad approach because pivot belongs to a sprite. So if I need a number of similar objects but with different alignment I need to duplicate the sprites

E

Edmanbosch

I mean I want for example to place a square object into right bottom corner and its size and distances to right and bottom sides should be fixed independently from the device resolution

And using pivot in this situation is a bad approach because pivot belongs to a sprite. So if I need a number of similar objects but with different alignment I need to duplicate the sprites
I'm not entirely sure what're you're trying to do.

K

Kuro

Is it for a GUI?

E

Edmanbosch

No, for objects in general. I want to create a scrolling shooter and stretch enemy waypoints (in gamemaker it is called "path") only, not enemies' sprites
What do you mean by "enemy waypoints"? Paths are used to move objects around in a predefined pattern or to be changed at runtime to hold a path that an AI will use.

R

Rukiri

I see tile-collision as on the roadmap, does it just check the tile_grid or does it check if there is a solid pixel available in the cell? Or is it user defined?

O

Ozmelk

We really need dynamic auto-tiling.

I was informed that runtime auto-tiling is on the development roadmap, and so is generating a 47-tile set from a basic set of 5 tiles.

That's exciting, but is there any ETA on that, or is that just general ideas they have planned, which could take them months if not years to implement?

It would be nice to know how soon that feature might arrive, in order to decide if its worth waiting or creating something on our own.

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...-no-dynamic-in-game-autotiling-in-gms2.30905/

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Right, forgot to regurgiate the stuff I'm suggesting for every new GM version... Could we have the Room Start event renamed to "Enter Room" and then get a "REAL Room Start" event that's only run the first time you enter a persistent room [and every time you enter a non-persistent room]? And also instance_activate_object_region() and instance_deactivate_object_region()? :p

R

Rukiri

Right, forgot to regurgiate the stuff I'm suggesting for every new GM version... Could we have the Room Start event renamed to "Enter Room" and then get a "REAL Room Start" event that's only run the first time you enter a persistent room [and every time you enter a non-persistent room]? And also instance_activate_object_region() and instance_deactivate_object_region()? :p
This is why it would be SO MUCH EASIER if GML had basic init, update (_fixed_update for physics) instead of needing a new command for everything... GML does a lot right and so much wrong.

F

Falconsoft-Industries

The path system works perfectly but having a particle resource on the resources tree with a particle editor would be nice oh and a shader editor that has a checkbox for create using gml mode for shader label, also leaving that unchecked on 1 particular shader whilst editor is open will give an entire library of tools to use, just like the one in construct 2 by scirra so we can outcompete them.

E

Edmanbosch

The path system works perfectly but having a particle resource on the resources tree with a particle editor would be nice oh and a shader editor that has a checkbox for create using gml mode for shader label, also leaving that unchecked on 1 particular shader whilst editor is open will give an entire library of tools to use, just like the one in construct 2 by scirra so we can outcompete them.
Shaders aren't written in GML though, they are made with one of the shading languages supplied by GameMaker.
And I think that a better idea would be a visual shader editor like the one for DnD, instead of a bunch of premade effects.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
A visual shader editor/creator would be nice...I just kind of think it is somewhat out of the scope of what GM is really meant for. Shaders can add a lot to a game(even a 2d game), but I think there are other things that should take priority, things that are more useful. A better particle system(with resource type and editor) would be an example of a higher priority for me. Lots of what is on the roadmap would also be in that boat. Right now, you can write shaders using one of the shader languages...but unless you make your own particle system, the one currently in place sucks. I know they removed affectors, etc... because of performance, but I think those should actually be added back in. For PC games the performance is fine, and we would have to just manage our usage of them on lower-end platforms.

E

Edmanbosch

A visual shader editor/creator would be nice...I just kind of think it is somewhat out of the scope of what GM is really meant for. Shaders can add a lot to a game(even a 2d game), but I think there are other things that should take priority, things that are more useful. A better particle system(with resource type and editor) would be an example of a higher priority for me. Lots of what is on the roadmap would also be in that boat. Right now, you can write shaders using one of the shader languages...but unless you make your own particle system, the one currently in place sucks. I know they removed affectors, etc... because of performance, but I think those should actually be added back in. For PC games the performance is fine, and we would have to just manage our usage of them on lower-end platforms.
I completely agree. While a visual shader editor would be cool, other things take way more priority over it.
Also, what are effectors? I started with GMS2, so I don't know much about past GM versions.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Affectors were things that affected particles. There were forces, which could attract/repel particles from a specific point, to a general force in a single direction...and colliders that could change or destroy particles.

E

Edmanbosch

Affectors were things that affected particles. There were forces, which could attract/repel particles from a specific point, to a general force in a single direction...and colliders that could change or destroy particles.
Which version of GM were they added, and which version were they removed?

E

Edmanbosch

If I'm not mistaken, they were added in GM7, but maybe it was before. And I'm understanding they were removed for GMS1.
Ahhh man. That stuff sounds very cool. It's a bit odd how they were removed for performance reasons.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
When they were working on GMS, they were adding the mobile platforms...those were not as fast as PC, so I can understand why they would try to get things going faster. But recently, mobile devices are much faster than they were, and PCs were easily able to handle those things before...so I think it would be a good idea to add those in. In fact, I'm considering(not decided yet) making my own particle system. It would be much better overall, allowing gradients and curves to design the particles parameters, instead of only 3 values(like it is now). There would also be an included particle system editor.

F

Falconsoft-Industries

Then maybe YoYoGames should hire you to implement those features into game maker studio 2, as a plugin for those features

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
If they would hire me, I would do it. But I'd have to move across the pond since I live in the USA(I'd do it though for a good job like that actually). The problem is that I don't have a good resume or anything like that to try to get such a job...but maybe I could work on one! At the least maybe they could hire me to do remote work with them...I'd do that too.

F

Falconsoft-Industries

Well I sent 3 sprites to incuvo from home, so hopefully one day they will use them in their ios/android game castle revenge.
You could send the code to you created to YoYoGames by email from home and your house address for them to put the cash in by mail.

E

Edmanbosch

I was aware of that as well I mean...c'mon it's the most common "2D" feature of any game engine in the last 10 years! Yes, Game Maker has shape collision but with physics only, you don't need physics in a RPG... I mean, why neglect such a common feature amongst every game engine? You guys would probably need to bring in rigid and kinematicbody as well.. very easy should just be a simple check box in the object or uncheck it and it works as is right now.
Why not just use collision masks with precise collision detection?

S

steskle

I just got this.
Do I have to uninstall and re-install GMS2 or does the update automatically overrides the old version of the program?

G

Guest User

Do I have to uninstall and re-install GMS2 or does the update automatically overrides the old version of the program?
the installer will uninstall the old one on it's own, then install the new one. you don't have to do anything yourself except allow it to do so. (it'll ask you)

S

steskle

the installer will uninstall the old one on it's own, then install the new one. you don't have to do anything yourself except allow it to do so. (it'll ask you)
Thank you.
This is the first time I use Game Maker on a Mac.
I bought it like two weeks ago and I really don't want to lose everything already because I had an oversight.

Thanks!

G

Thank you.
This is the first time I use Game Maker on a Mac.
I bought it like two weeks ago and I really don't want to lose everything already because I had an oversight.

Thanks!
Best practice is to backup your entire project before doing an upgrade and to use git to maintain a constant backup.

S

steskle

Best practice is to backup your entire project before doing an upgrade and to use git to maintain a constant backup.
Of course.
That's exactly what I did.
Either way, the new version works fine.

K

Kuro

Not tried out the new version yet. The big question is; does every variable you've ever wrote still follow you around via the autosuggest or have they fixed that?

Status
Not open for further replies.