• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

What do you do for likes?

John Andrews

Living Enigma
In the time I've used the GMC forums I realized some people have tons of líkes, and others dont, and I want to know what do you do to get likes? What is your strategy? I know the likes dont really matter, but It would still be fun to read how you all tryna get likes

In my case I dont mean to get likes, I just comment if needed, and some times I comment dumb stuff that dont make sense but still get likes

2Create

After being inactive for quite some time, I can at least rule that method out. It's a terrible way to farm likes.
Self-deprecating humour seems like a promising path, though.

woodsmoke

Present amazing work.
Give good feedback on WIP Projects.
Answer questions.
Now hand over dem likez!

Last edited:
M

Misu

As I have mentioned in another thread once, Likes are only received base on real good posts that benefit or appeal to the viewers BUT you cannot just force yourself on getting more likes intentionally. That is call "like" farming and that is an abuse of the reputation system by doing random posts and spams that shows no contribution or value to the audience, just to escalate the reputation negatively.
I recommend you dont try and just post normally like everyone else does. Eventually you will earn positive likes respectively base on your good average posts without having to abuse the power.

Also here is a good quote from Nocturne that might fit well in this topic:

Nocturne said:
Keep in mind that likes are supposed to signify good content and are there to help new members find the "power" users, as well as to let you show appreciation for something well written or helpful. Over-inflating the likes for one person is to misrepresent their position, and is an abuse of the system as it was designed.

M

MishMash

I don't intentionally go for likes, though I seem to get them mostly for the following things:

1) Providing meaningful and well-thought-out posts in discussions, rather than just skimming the topic. Contributing something to a discussion and moving it forward is what I strive to do.
2) Sharing my knowledge/experience or helping people with their problems
3) Posting screenshots/updates about my project in the status activity feed

When I see people like Yal and Nocture who are just bursting full of +1's, I can generally understand it as both of those users put a lot of effort into every post they make. There isn't much by way of just stating things for the sake of it with them, but rather being helpful, concise and considerate. The other approach is the roytheshort approach which is to simply spam the off topic forum and farm likes through cheap jokes. Personally, i'm more a fan of the former..

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Oh why didn't I get notified about this thread's posts?

Ok I didnn't make this as a way to get likes by doing what you all do, In fact that's why it's in off-topic, It's just like a forum game or something like the one of "how do you like your tea etc." I of course appreciate the reccomendations and all but I really just wanted to see the real truth behind people's likes, and silly stupid comments lol

Anyway good day everyone keep this topic growing! :D

I'm 2nd place in likes, apparently. What the hell? X'D

Just 💩💩💩💩post a lot, lol. And upload pics of your radical game once in awhile. =D

Last edited:

Roa

I find being forum Admin helps. Maybe try that? Oh... Wait... Scratch that...

:duck:
Like this.

Let's see how many will get the pun.
You just have to master the ancient art of karma whoring.

You tried.

Also
These guys dont know what they're talking about. They're all liars and cant be trusted.
The only thing you need to do to get likes is make hype-art and jam puns for when the game jams happen. Your chance is coming up.

Z

zendraw

i checked the most likeable members and i just cant figure somthing out, roy has 72 posts and 2k likes? like, how abusable IS this system?

M

Misu

i checked the most likeable members and i just cant figure somthing out, roy has 72 posts and 2k likes? like, how abusable IS this system?
The Off-topic posts do not count as post in the profile registry. Roy has posted million of times in the Off-topic section. Most of his likes came from the first month when the new forum was up. By that time the forum was a bit experimental and less serious than it is now.

Repix

Yeah just post pics of your games... Everyone likes games.. You like them, I like them, That guy above me likes them, Nocturne likes them, John Carmack likes them, John Romero loves them, Brenda Romero loves them.. We all love games!

So just love games and get likes! (100% working, no scam)