• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Downloading GMS 2 Applications from the Internet

C

Colcoction

Do applications created in GameMaker Studio 2 get detected as "unrecognized apps" by Windows Defender SmartScreen after being downloaded from the Internet?

I've been on the fence about upgrading to GMS 2 for a while now, and if I am ever to buy it, I must know that this issue does not exist with Studio 2 like it does with Studio 1.4.

This is the issue I am talking about when running a downloaded GMS 1.4 app:

warning.png

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
As long as you have an insufficient number of downloads or leave your products unsigned, SmartScreen will block them regardless of what your project is written with. Neither switching to another version of GMS nor migrating away from GMS would solve the issue.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Signing the application and/or installer with a code signing certificate also improves the heuristic within Smart Screen.

Russell

C

Colcoction

Thank you for the replies.

As long as you have an insufficient number of downloads or leave your products unsigned, SmartScreen will block them regardless of what your project is written with. Neither switching to another version of GMS nor migrating away from GMS would solve the issue.
If you're saying that switching to another development software would not make a difference, then I will point out that I have not yet encountered this issue with apps made in Unity.

C

Colcoction

True. It seems to me like it's less consistent a problem with Unity than it is with GMS. One of those Google results tells that it happens with some versions of Unity and not with others, and another one mentions that it happened to one user when they used cloud builds, but not when they used local builds. And then there's still my own personal experience of not experiencing it with Unity, which I may very well be overvaluing.

In any case, I think I understand the situation now. Thank you all for your input.