• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Linux ONLY Ubuntu 14.04 LTS?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

This applies to both GMS2 and GMS1.4 so this thread could really go under either Technical Support subforum.

I noticed 2 things.

1) You can run GMS games on linux with a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, out of the box, with no additional depedencies installed apart from what comes with the operating system. This means you don't need to fiddle with the terminal at all before you can run your game, which is nice.

2) Trying to run GMS games on linux with later versions of Ubuntu, i.e. I tried 16.04 LTS and the games wouldn't run with just a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, I needed additional depedencies installed apart from what came with the operating system. This means I had to install them manually via the terminal using the install commands mentioned on the YoYoGames help center: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us...tu-And-GameMaker-Studio-For-Linux-Development

It really stinks that Ubuntu 14.04 LTS seems to be the only version of Ubuntu that can run GMS games with a fresh, out-of-the-box OS install. Only targeting Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is an extremely narrow market and I highly doubt that many people even use 14.04 LTS anymore because there are newer versions out and most people keep their system up-to-date.

Is there any way around this limitation? Will *.deb debian package building be added to GMS2 relatively soon? Also, will it be fixed in GMS1.4 soon? Right now it's broken, and I don'think it ever really worked to begin with, so I hope it gets fixed soon.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Can always include a simple .sh script that installs all dependencies. I've done that before and people seemed okay with that. Some recommended just bundling the dependencies with the program (adding a pile of SO files), but those add up a bit.

T

thaaks

Honestly I would expect YoYo to at least support building on the current Ubuntu LTS (long term support) version (16.04).

gnysek

Honestly I would expect YoYo to at least support building on the current Ubuntu LTS (long term support) version (16.04).
I think you should create a helpdesk ticket about it, as they should provide support for all LTS. 18.04 is coming not that late in terms of how fast they are solving tickets :)

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Do you happen to have a list of the dependencies for running games created with GMS? The guide @Samuel Venable posted a link to lists all dependencies for building and running games, but I guess not all of them are required for running games (like openssh).
Code:
libc6-dev-i386
libstdc++6:i386
libopenal1:i386
libxxf86vm1:i386
libglu1:i386
libcurl3:i386
libxrandr2:i386