Graphics Finding the right look for your game

H

Hayes2D

Hi Folks,

I've started a youtube series on game art direction. If you're having trouble finding the right look for your game this might help!

As always, I love to hear your thoughts and questions!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
It feels like having an episode (or possibly a bunch) about programmer art and how to learn art basics could be useful, since most of the audience here start off as 'pure' programmers rather than team members that do 100% art and nothing else. Also how to select and adapt stock resources so that they fit together reasonably, since that's also a pretty big part of the lone-dev community at the moment.

H

Hayes2D

It feels like having an episode (or possibly a bunch) about programmer art and how to learn art basics could be useful, since most of the audience here start off as 'pure' programmers rather than team members that do 100% art and nothing else. Also how to select and adapt stock resources so that they fit together reasonably, since that's also a pretty big part of the lone-dev community at the moment.
That's a great suggestion and not something I'd considered. Though there are plenty of beginner art tutorials out there I think a couple of notes on lower skilled assets would be great. I'm not too sure how to fit it into this series but hopefully one of the concepts I refine is a little more beginner friendly. The series is more focused on the process than the quality of the art so can be applied to any skill level.

Personally I think with a little bit of planning and playing to your strengths, programmer art is a better direction than stock assets. By playing on your strengths I mean use the programming side to make simpler art look better. A great example is Thomas Was Alone, it looks fantastic but the assets themselves are technically easy to create. The game shines with it's use of depth and lighting.

S

Snayff

This sounds great - something I have been struggling with in the background so I am looking forward to watching the series. While only just starting to make a game it is likely a bit early but still a hurdle to overcome!

H

Hayes2D

This sounds great - something I have been struggling with in the background so I am looking forward to watching the series. While only just starting to make a game it is likely a bit early but still a hurdle to overcome!
Thanks, I hope it helps on your project! You'll have to keep me posted on it's progress.

I'll be working on episode 3 later today.

H

Hayes2D

Episode 3 is recorded! Theyā€™re messy but very important.

In this stage I take on all the feedback and see how it works with the original concepts. They are a little rough around the edges but theyā€™re perfect tools for creating the next stage of mock-ups.

Voice over and editing still remain so I'll keep you folks posted when I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Snayff

The videos were an itneresting watch. I was hoping it was a series focused on how to find the right artistic style for your game, rather than the design process of an artist, but it was something I hadnt see much of before so certainly worth the watch.

I looked at your site, too. It looks like you have worked on a lot of different things! Do you have a preference for style (pixel / hand painted)? Do you have other examples of your work you could share?

H

Hayes2D

The videos were an itneresting watch. I was hoping it was a series focused on how to find the right artistic style for your game, rather than the design process of an artist, but it was something I hadnt see much of before so certainly worth the watch.

I looked at your site, too. It looks like you have worked on a lot of different things! Do you have a preference for style (pixel / hand painted)? Do you have other examples of your work you could share?
Hi @Snayff thanks for the feedback! I'll try go into further detail on the styles chosen and why they best fit the game.

Thanks! Honestly my preference is to not have a preference. For me it's all about the project itself. That is the majority of my best freelance work, however I do have some of my rougher work posted at https://hayes2d.tumblr.com/

S

Snayff

I look forward to it!

If you're interested and available for work please pm me your rates and let's have a chat.

H

Hayes2D

Itā€™s taking me a little longer than usual to find the time for editing and VO this week which has put a bit of a delay on episode 3. So to hopefully make up for this, hereā€™s a preview of one of the mock-ups Iā€™ve been working on for episode 4!

H

Hayes2D

Episode 3 is now live! In this episode, I take on all your feedback and work on adding it to the chosen concepts.

As always, I love to hear your thoughts and questions!

W

Wayfarer

Awesome, I'll watch this soon-ish. I enjoyed the previous two. Watching how people go about this kind of stuff is always very informative :)

H

Hayes2D

Awesome, I'll watch this soon-ish. I enjoyed the previous two. Watching how people go about this kind of stuff is always very informative :)
Thanks! Means allot.
I've tried to go a little more in-depth this episode. Well that's the plan anyway!

W

Wayfarer

Those brass/blue platforms in the "well" mockup pop out in front of the background really effectively. I'm curious to see final results of all of the mockups :D

H

Hayes2D

Those brass/blue platforms in the "well" mockup pop out in front of the background really effectively. I'm curious to see final results of all of the mockups :D
Thanks, I'm also looking forward to showing them off once complete! I did make a couple of changes come mock-up but I still kept the blue metal in other elements (the preview above might give some indication).