• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE How long can you use the trial version?

W

Wowie

Hi, I need gamemaker for teaching kids and schools. How long can one use the free trial version? ('trial' suggests a time limit).

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Trial is limited by number of assets you can add to the project, not the time. See here for more information.

May also want to see the "educators" section on licensing page.

X

XirmiX

Oh, the limitations really hurt... I was hoping I could make a demo for a game with the trial version, and then kickstart the game to get enough to buy the full version for developing the full game, but this isn't enough for anything. I think YoYo Games should really re-consider the limitation number, cause what can you really do with 15 objects? Zilch!

G

Oh, the limitations really hurt... I was hoping I could make a demo for a game with the trial version, and then kickstart the game to get enough to buy the full version for developing the full game, but this isn't enough for anything. I think YoYo Games should really re-consider the limitation number, cause what can you really do with 15 objects? Zilch!
Well, it's not true that you can't do much with 15 objects, but I'm pretty sure others are going to belabor that point, so I won't. I could make my whole game in the trial version except for the pain it would cause by shoving all my code into the good script megascript.

The desktop version is $80 on Steam until July 5, and that is quite a deal. If you actually produce and sell a game on Steam, you'll make more than that. Even if you don't, you'll get your money's worth in entertainment hours. And I won't belabor all the other things you could get for $60-$80 that (1) could never make you money and (2) would provide fewer hours of entertainment.

Finally, you don't need a kickstarter for $80. You need to mow a few lawns.

Last edited by a moderator:
X

XirmiX

Well, it's not true that you can't do much with 15 objects, but I'm pretty sure others are going to belabor that point, so I won't. I could make my whole game in the trial version except for the pain it would cause by shoving all my code into the good script megascript.

The desktop version is $80 on Steam until July 5, and that is quite a deal. If you actually produce and sell a game on Steam, you'll make more than that. Even if you don't, you'll get your money's worth in entertainment hours. And I won't belabor all the other things you could get for $60-$80 that (1) could never make you money and (2) would provide fewer hours of entertainment.

Finally, you don't need a kickstarter for $80. You need to mow a few lawns.
I was really thinking of the Ultimate addition, but... it's renting, not buying. In that case, there is really no way to make a game on any platform you want without paying that huge amount every year? That's lame, and kind of confusing actually; so you can't make games for consoles or everything without a huge rent out. Would it be possible buy all of the buy-able versions and them combining to let you make games for all of the platforms specified through "one ultimate" purchased GMS2 (So, PC + Web + UWP + Mobile versions), or would it all be separate software that you need to all install separately, and you'll end up having four GMS 2s on your desktop? It seems like a lot of the software's purchases are aimed for big companies rather than indie devs :/

Although true, PC would be my main go-to for creating (and playing) games.

I just remembered that I have that Reason 9 Upgrade still that I can't use at all (because I have activated the essentials for Reason 9 and not for a previous version). Prob need to sell it on Ebay or something, that should be enough cash for the PC version of GMS 2 more or less.

K

Kenjiro

Must admit, I own pro. But my game is huge and only has two objects - LOL. :D

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
X

XirmiX

@Kenjiro huh, so I realise the object thing could be done if you just indent things or write multiple pieces of code for something, with multiple checks at the beginning, this way, creating different types of instances from the same object. But yeah, a lot of unnecessary checks being done, essentially, which could slow down the game.

K

Kenjiro

@Kenjiro huh, so I realise the object thing could be done if you just indent things or write multiple pieces of code for something, with multiple checks at the beginning, this way, creating different types of instances from the same object. But yeah, a lot of unnecessary checks being done, essentially, which could slow down the game.
Lucky I don't do it that way then, hey. :D

K

Kuro

I was really thinking of the Ultimate addition, but... it's renting, not buying. In that case, there is really no way to make a game on any platform you want without paying that huge amount every year?
Buy the windows, HTML 5, and/or the mobile target. No yearly costs.