Top down game building cutaway

S

Shariku Onikage

I'm making a top down stealth game where a player can go in and out of buildings on the map. Because i want the player to be able to both walk on the roofs of buildings and go inside buildings my current design involved the player entering the building and then being teleported to another part of the the game room, as shown in the picture below.

upload_2016-7-14_11-49-49.png

While the effect is reasonably seemless from the player's perspective it causes a few issues with the raycasting lighting effect i have and with enemy ai (if the enemy detects the player and the player hides in a building all the alerted enemies will basically run east in an attempt to find the player rather than go into the building).

What i'd prefer to do is have the roof cutaway when a player enters the a particular building, so the player can see inside the building but still be in the same position in the game room.

Is there a decent way to go about doing this in gamemaker? When making the room, it can be a little awkward to place objects that are set to different depths on top of each other, not to mention if i want to edit the inside of the roof, i have to remove all the roof tiles first.

Thanks in advance.

W

warbo

Have you not tried to place an image on the roof and when the player enters the door way the image becomes transparent keep you in the room. Not what you asked but just a suggestion to your game.

S

Shariku Onikage

That would kind of work. I suppose it would be more anything that's of a certain depth should get its image_alpha adjusted appropriately.

I think i'm just going to have to cope with shifting room tiles around constantly anytime i want to work on the inside of a building.

Thanks.