• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE About buying GameMaker Studio 2

R

raymondwinge

Hi guys. I'm new here, and I have a couple of questions before I buy GameMaker Studio 2.

1. If I buy it on Steam, do I have to open Steam every time I want to use GameMaker, or can I easily access it on my desktop?
  2. Will an export module for Android be included, or do I (like with GMS1.4) have to buy it seperately?

Not even sure if I have posted in the right place, but I really need to know this before I can do anything.

gnysek

2. You have to buy it separately. However, all version comes with "Windows-test" (and probably "Mac-test" soon too), which won't let you export game, but at least let you test it on PC.

sylvain_l

If I buy it on Steam, do I have to open Steam every time I want to use GameMaker, or can I easily access it on my desktop?
you'll have to connect at least once a month (to be online on steam & relogin to your YYG account to refresh your credential). The rest of the time, if you checked the remember login option, you can stay offline.

R

raymondwinge

2. You have to buy it separately. However, all version comes with "Windows-test" (and probably "Mac-test" soon too), which won't let you export game, but at least let you test it on PC.
So, if I already have GMS1.4 professional and don't want to spend any more money than I have to, how can I buy the module for that version?

sylvain_l

if you only want to export to android; just buy the mobile module.(android+ios)

each module include the IDE for win&mac with the possibility to run the game (test it)

in addition, if you want to be able to export for windows or mac (and linux) you'll have to buy the corresponding modules (desktop).

if you want the android module for GMS1.4; I think they don't sell it any more :( (ask the helpdesk for confirmation)

R

raymondwinge

if you only want to export to android; just buy the mobile module.(android+ios)

each module include the IDE for win&mac with the possibility to run the game (test it)

in addition, if you want to be able to export for windows or mac (and linux) you'll have to buy the corresponding modules (desktop).

if you want the android module for GMS1.4; I think they don't sell it any more :( (ask the helpdesk for confirmation)
Do you mean the one that's 399.99 dollars on YoYoGames? I thought Mobile meant that GMS2 would install on my phone, but I want the software on my PC. Also, it's sooo expensive :(

gnysek

No, if it says "mobile" it means game can be exported here. IDE is for Windows only, and should soon be available for Mac to (on same licence). In fact IDE is free, you just pay for exporting options you need.
It may seem expensive at first, but in fact if you really make a game with this, you should be able to get money back in less a month (and if game is really good, in less than few hours).

R

raymondwinge

No, if it says "mobile" it means game can be exported here. IDE is for Windows only, and should soon be available for Mac to (on same licence). In fact IDE is free, you just pay for exporting options you need.
It may seem expensive at first, but in fact if you really make a game with this, you should be able to get money back in less a month (and if game is really good, in less than few hours).
Ah, it all makes sense now. Why would anyone want to develop games on their phone. Thank you for your replies :)

L

Lion Wrecker

I've bought GMS2 desktop at yoyogames.com and received a copy at my Steam account. If I'd buy the mobile version for example, will I receive a stand alone copy at yoyo.com?

rIKmAN

If you link your Steam account to your YYG account then it doesn't matter whether you buy it on Steam or through the YYG website - you will be able to use both the Steam version and the Standalone version.

L

Lion Wrecker

Steam/yyg accounts are linked (well, once you've linked them!). So buy on one, get on the other.
That's all I need to know. It's way easier for me to buy a copy at Steam since it accepts tons of ways of payment. Huge thanks.