GameMaker Collaboration possible with different export modules?

P

Pumped about GameMaker

Hello,

I am a programmer by trade and I am about to buy the HTML5 version of GameMaker Studio 2. Starting my 1st GMS 2 project now (some experience with GMS 1.4) with a friend -. who happens to own a desktop license for GMS 2, but not a HTML5 license.

Plan is to make a HTML 5 game.

• Can we collaborate at all with those different export modules we happen to have bought individually?
  • My friend is more of an artist than a programmer, basically most of the work in GameMaker will be done by me.
  • My friend obviously wants to use his GMS2 license to do at least *some* of the work and wants to be able to always test the project (within the capabilities of his desktop license, not within a browser obviously). Do things like change variables, exchange sprites etc., if need be.
I searched through old posts but was not quite convinced everything is fine in our collaboration setup, I noticed that some people were talking about special settings (?) for some platforms. I don't want to use any kind of exhaustive "magic" everytime I compile to HTML5 with files edited by the desktop version.

Don't want to sound cheap but my friend probably will not stay within the project very long (as he will mainly work as an artist) and then go back to his desktop game endeavours. Thus we're a little hesitant to buy him a 2nd license (HTML5) that he probably does not need beyond June or July. Sorry about that.

Would love to hear back from you (and yes, he got a 1.4 license, too, so he could upgrade at a discount until May 31 according to the upgrade page).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kenjiro

Interesting question.

My gut is tending towards 'no'. But, I don't really know. Be interesting to hear an official response on this one.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You can work together as long as both of you have at least one module each. Just make sure you check os_browser != browser_not_a_browser before making HTML5-only calls, so that he/she doesn't get crashes from trying it out.

K

Kenjiro

In that case, anyone want to build my game for all GMS2 platforms other than desktop?

Will go you halvies. Ta! :D

P

Pumped about GameMaker

In that case, anyone want to build my game for all GMS2 platforms other than desktop?

:D
Uhm. I now feel like a despicable piece of scum for even asking about the possibility. I guess we'll end up buying the missing export module.

Sorry about the confusion this may have caused.

K

Kuro

Will go you halvies. Ta! :D
Uhm. I now feel like a despicable piece of scum for even asking about the possibility. I guess we'll end up buying the missing export module.
I think there's a subtle difference between friends who happen to have different modules collaborating and Kenjiro's, cynical take on the thing; Looking for a random stranger to save buying an export. Different things imo.

P

Pumped about GameMaker

Kuro, maybe, but I got the impression the intent is to be frowned upon.