Released Code: Evolved - White Wolf 2

MMM

At last, we are at the core of Neo Semidori Wolf's mind! Final wolf stage is now in development.

MMM

Code: Evolved - White Wolf 2 seatback

I finally had a chance to test Code: Evolved on few computers other than mine. The result was not great. While the game works fine on almost all computers, the game revealed extreme lags on Windows 10 system. Luckily I foud the reason for this, but the bad news are that fixing this issue will take few days.

I would also like to use this opportunity to share this problem (and how I fixed it) with anyone who made games in Game Maker and it has the same issue with Windows 10.

Code: Evolved is made in Game Maker 8 (an old program I know but for now that is all I can afford). The problem is in a frame rate setup in the rooms (room speed). I set frame rate in every room to be 100. That way game looks more fluid. And this system works on Windows XP, 7, and 8 (the game is not tested on Windows Vista). Windows 10, however, has a problem in synchronization with Game Maker 8. If the room speed is not set on 30 or 60, Windows 10 will create extream lags.

The solution? I need to set room speed in every room on 60. This creates another problem. Now the game looks like it's running in slow motion. So I need to speed up every animation, every bullet speed, every hit detection cooldown, every effect in the game. And the game is already half done so there are tons of objects and effects. I am not angry about this too much because it's mostly my fault. I should have tested the game on every Windows in the beginnings of the development.

What this all means for Code: Evolved development? A few days of the setback... and hopefully (if everything else stays fine) that will be it. After that, I will continue work on the last stage for Neo Semidori Wolf and in a month or two, the Wolf side of the story is going to be complete.

I want to thank you all for your patience and to thank you for following Code: Evolved development. I am working hard on this game with a ton of love and hopefully, the game will not disappoint.

Also, I hope that my experience will help someone with the same issue. And I will try to upgrade myself soon with Game Maker Studio 2 so I can avoid future problems :) And I'm sorry that this news was more focused on the development problems instead of showing a new stuff in the game.

See you all soon with more news and in the meantime check out a 40 min. demo (3 wolf stages and 1 owl stage) on:

Official page: https://mmmfree2dwindowsgames.blogspot.rs/

033.png

MMM

After 3 days of major bug fixing, I finally see the light at the end of that tunnel. Hopefully, this is going to be the last day of work on Code: Evolved Windows 10 bug. What was the major problem with the game on Windows 10? I already wrote on this subject. So you can read all about that on http://www.indiedb.com/games/code-evolved/news/code-evolved-white-wolf-2-seatback

While all this was happening I was contacted by voice actor Marsuves Black http://www.indiedb.com/members/marsuves576

He wanted to voice characters in Code: Evolved game. Thus Dreamwalkers voice is born :)

The game is in English and Serbian but for now, I can only afford voice on English. Also, Dreamwalker will have voice only in intro sequences. If you like what you see and hear you can help me adding Serbian voice over. How? By buying a bundle with 4 of my games on https://itch.io/s/6549/code-evolved-voice-over Any financial support is welcome. Thank you in advance! :)

Starting tomorrow I will be back on track and hopefully, in 2 months I will have Neo Semidori Wolf side of the game done. See you all soon with more news and thank you for the patience :)

Code: Evolved DEMO: https://mmmfree2dwindowsgames.blogspot.rs/

MMM

#screenshotsaturday

It's time to talk about influences on White Wolf world. There are three major influences. And all 3 are games from PSX.
First influence is an obvious one... Final Fantasy 7. The whole concept of life energy is based on life stream in FF7. But consequences and the way that life energy works in White Wolf is much more different than in FF7.

Secund influence is Tomb Raider games. The way that the world and stages are designed. White Wolf and Code: Evolved are Metroidvania type of games but the player doesn't explore one big world. Instead, every stage has his own key items, beginning, and ends. And every time you enter the stage key items will be reset. This way the backtracking is much shorter (the same purpose teleport have in big world Metroidvanias but I think this is a much better way). Also, when you get to the end of a Metroidvania game everything is open and you don't have much more things to do. Whit this system every time when you enter the stage you can explore it again.

The third influence is the best RPG ever created (in my opinion). Parasite Eve. I love the stories that explore the dark side of biology. And Parasite Eve is a master of that. It's a perfect blend of fantasy and sci-fi. This game didn't directly influence on White Wolf world but it inspired me to make dark fantasy sci-fi Metroidvanias in general.
So, that are 3 big influences :)

As for the Code: Evolved current progress, I am working on a boss fight in stage 7 and on stage 7 in general so, see you all soon with more news :)

Code: Evolved digital art by Andrija Drenovakovic.

D

Deadpool_19__87

Ej, objavio sam igru za svoju mojku koja je umrla od višestruki rakova pa bi hito da je pogledaš, kako ti se čini?
Znam da sam ja godinama iza tebe u gml, ali ako možeš pomoći oko bugova bio bih zahvalan.
https://redrover.itch.io/desert-fox-story-of-the-well
Pozdrav i hvala.
P.S. Jel dovoljno dobra da objavim svoj thread na ovome forumu?
P.S.S. Prva igra, ali zaradila je neke novce pa me to čini sretnim:)

MMM

Ej, objavio sam igru za svoju mojku koja je umrla od višestruki rakova pa bi hito da je pogledaš, kako ti se čini?
Znam da sam ja godinama iza tebe u gml, ali ako možeš pomoći oko bugova bio bih zahvalan.
https://redrover.itch.io/desert-fox-story-of-the-well
Pozdrav i hvala.
P.S. Jel dovoljno dobra da objavim svoj thread na ovome forumu?
P.S.S. Prva igra, ali zaradila je neke novce pa me to čini sretnim:)
Pre svega primi moje najiskrenije saucesce. Izgubiti roditelja je jedna od najtezih stvari u zivotu. Sto se igre tice za pocetak odlicno :) Ja u toku igre nisam uocio ni jedan bag. Savetovao bih ti da za svaku igru koju radis napravis i video trajler. Ja za snimanje igre koristim OBS Studio program. Slobodno otvori thread na ovom forumu a preporucio bi ti da postavis i svoju igru na Svet Kompjutera forum. Kao bonus mozes postaviti jos i na TIGSource i IndieDB :) Polako usavrsavaj svoj rad i za nekoliko godina sigurno ces biti vrhunski indie developer. Srecno :)

As far as games, it's the beginning of an excellent game. :) During the game I have not noticed a single bug. I would advise you that for every game you should make a video trailer. I use to record games OBS Studio program. Feel free to open thread in this forum and we would recommend you to make a switch and your game at Computer World forum. As a bonus you can set up another and to TIGSource and IndieDB :) You'll be a top indie developer. Good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:

rytan451

The ambiance made by the background art is amazing, to say the least. Some things I might add from looking at your screenshots: many things seem unnaturally smooth. Perhaps you might add a bit of texture to the wolf, to many of the green things or to the grey stuff in this image:
I can't wait to see this completed!

Reactions: MMM

MMM

The ambiance made by the background art is amazing, to say the least. Some things I might add from looking at your screenshots: many things seem unnaturally smooth. Perhaps you might add a bit of texture to the wolf, to many of the green things or to the grey stuff in this image:

I can't wait to see this completed!
Thank you for the feedback. I will try to perfect the graphic in the game as much as I can. For now, I am making movements for everything in the stage. If you watch any of the Code: Evolved videos you can see that there is nothing static. But on screenshots everything is static and it truly shows a lack of details. Neo Semidori Wolf will be done in a month or two and until then I will try to upgrade the graphic and animation. Again, thank you for the feedback and stay tuned. When I finish a half of the game (Wolf side of the story) I will need a few peoples to test that part of the game :)

rytan451

Thank you for the feedback. I will try to perfect the graphic in the game as much as I can. For now, I am making movements for everything in the stage. If you watch any of the Code: Evolved videos you can see that there is nothing static. But on screenshots everything is static and it truly shows a lack of details. Neo Semidori Wolf will be done in a month or two and until then I will try to upgrade the graphic and animation. Again, thank you for the feedback and stay tuned. When I finish a half of the game (Wolf side of the story) I will need a few peoples to test that part of the game :)
Then I'll see if I can help with that.

MMM

#screenshotsaturday

The first half of the game is almost done (Neo Semidori wolf side of the story. So, let's talk about gameplay. Code: Evolved in his core is a Metroidvania type of the game with very dark fantasy/sci-fi story. But there are a few things that separate it from a usual Metroidvania games.

TWO PLAYABLE CHARACTERS - Game will have two playable characters. Neo Semidori Wolf and Neo Semidori Owl. But every character will be game for himself. Wolf and Owl will have their own set of weapons, stages, and story. Thay doesn't even exist at the same time. But which story is the first in Code: Evolved timeline? That... I can't tell you :) Also, the player will be rewarded with a bonus after credit scene if he beat the game with both characters.

PLAYER WILL PURCHASE UPGREADS AND ABILITIES WITH EXP - Exp in the games is nothing new. You kill enemies and you gain experience points. But, in Code: Evolved you won't be leveling up. Instead, EXP will act as currency that you can spend in your inventory by buying new special attacks or upgrading your stats.

CHAPTERS / STAGE DESIGN - Altho Code: Evolved is a Metroidvania game player will not explore the whole world at once. The World is divided into chapters and every chapter has his own key items (that will be reset every time you play that chapter again). This way player will not find himself in a situation where he needs to do a massive backtracking to progress. And also he can explore a stage again even he found and unlocked everything in it (since key items are reset).

CHEAT CODES - This is a reward for every player that explore stages thoroughly. The more % of the map you unlock, the more cheat codes you will unlock. Not all of them will be useful of course but most of them will be just for fun (no head, no body, pot mod, evil face, big head, enemies scream...) I loved tons of fun cheat codes in old PSX games and I thought it would be nice to include something like that (as a reward for persistent players) in the game.

KNOWLEDGE - If you wish to find out more about Code: Evolved the world you can find white crystals that will expand your knowledge and you will be able to find out more about Midori, Semidori, Life energy, Dreamwalker and much more by entering into inventory.

TWO BONUS STAGES FOR EACH CHARACTER - Speaking of white crystals, if you collect them all you will unlock a bonus stage. But if you manage to kill all 5 side bosses you will unlock a second bonus stage where you will fight most difficult boss in the game and as a reward, you will get one of the most powerful weapons :)

Beyond all this, there are also some standard features like map function, joystick support, joystick mapping, 2 languages (English and Serbian), 5 save slots ... I am working hard on this game and hopefully, it won't disappoint. In the meantime, you can check out DEMO and tell me what you think. Every feedback is welcome :)

Official page: https://mmmfree2dwindowsgames.blogspot.rs/

D

Deadpool_19__87

Hvala ti na kupnji Desert Foxa, nadam se da uživaš u njemu. Ako ikada dodeš u ZG, javi znaj da imaš prijatelja tu. Pozdrav i hvala na svemu.

MMM

Hvala ti na kupnji Desert Foxa, nadam se da uživaš u njemu. Ako ikada dodeš u ZG, javi znaj da imaš prijatelja tu. Pozdrav i hvala na svemu.
Nema na cemu. Volim da ohrabrim indie developere kad god mogu (sto nazalost nije toliko cesto). Nadam se da cu doci u ZG jednom. Ako budes svracao u Paracin javi se :)

MMM

They hang from the ceiling? Hm... Wolf's memory really is imperfect...

Midories in Code: Evolved are a litle bit different from ones in White Wolf 1. They don't exist in real world. Instead, they are just recreations of Midories in Wolf's head. Past-life memories. However, Wolf doesn't have perfect memory (as a clone of the original wolf he can remember only some things). Some Midories looks and acts the same, but some of them become completely new species.

Last edited:

MMM

#screenshotsaturday

Code: Evolved game story is told from the perspective of two main characters. Neo Semidori Wolf and Neo Semidori Owl. Each of this characters will have their own stages and weapons. And today I finished making the last stage for Neo Semidori Wolf and started working on final boss stage. This means that the half of the game is done... right? Not really. Each character has his own 10 stages open for exploration. But only eight stages are the story stages. This means that I still need to make two bonus stages for players who have discovered all the secrets in the game. On the other hand, I already finished the first stage for Neo Semidori Owl when I made Code: Evolved DEMO. So the game is very close to being 50% done.

This looks like the game is going to be in a development for one more year. But that is not the case. Every major thing for the game (enemies, weapons, story...) is already completely done for both characters. That means that I only need to make stages and boss fights for Neo Semidori Owl. Hopefully, the game is going to be done by the end of the year, or at the beginning of the next one.

You can check out trello table and find out exactly how far in the development the game is and what still needs to be done https://trello.com/b/Dm1ACF4e/wip---games :)

In the mean time check out Code: Evolved DEMO (3 wolf stages and 1 owl stage) and tell me what you think and see you all soon with more news. http://mmmgamesindie.blogspot.rs/

Just one last thing. This is my first commercial game (and hopefully my first game on Steam) But don't worry. It will be a very affordable indie price.

MMM

Since Wolf's story is almost done I think is a good time for me to make Code: Evolved Wolf trailer :)

MMM

One of the few early sketches of the final boss made at the beginning of Code: Evolved development. I have to say that final boss now looks much cooler than this :)

ReidDC

Really liking the color pallet in this game. The white protagonist in the dark red and brown environments really catches the eye. Keep up the good work.

MMM

Neo Semidori Wolf last cut scene is almost done! Very emotional scene. Not only for the Wolf and the Dreamwalker, but for me too. I worked on Wolf side of the story for almost a year and now it's time to say goodbye to the Wolf and to start work on Owl side of the story.

Owl side of the story will be done much faster. Why? Because it's a side story. So, there are no big cut scenes. All I need to do is to make 8 stages. And after that 4 bonus stages (2 for each character). So in total game should be released by the end of the year or very early next year :)

Until then try out Code: Evolved DEMO on https://mmmfree2dwindowsgames.blogspot.rs/ Every feedback is welcome :)

MMM

New upgraded Code: Evolved demo is released. You can find all download pages on https://mmmfree2dwindowsgames.blogspot.rs/

This new demo fixed few problems and updated several things. What is new in this demo?

- Windows 10 compatibility problems fixed. You can read all about this Windows 10 issue on http://www.indiedb.com/games/code-evolved/news/code-evolved-white-wolf-2-seatback

- Voice acting added. Full game will have voices only in big cutscenes and the voices will be only in English. The most interesting thing about the voices is that so far almost everyone thought that first scene for the wolf story is narrated by the Dreamwalker. Now that the voice is added players will find out that there is another digital entity with beautiful female voice. Dreamwalker voice is provided by Marsuves Black https://plus.google.com/112276107892403628531 while female voice is produced digitally with http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tts/tts_example.php

- Cheat Codes now available. The player can use all 39 cheat codes but in the demo, only few will be shown in cheat code list in the inventory. You can find more about the cheat codes in this video

- More fluid controls. I added small changes and now controlling the character is a much more fluid experience. Also, now the player can shoot diagonally even if the character stands next to the wall.

Besides all this, I also fixed the few small bugs. All this changes and upgrades happened thanks to your feedback. Of course, games can always be improved even further so please check out new demo and tell me what you think. Every feedback is welcome :)

MMM

Today I finished drawing and animating all sprites and designing all frames (on paper) for the last Code: Evolved cut-scene (none of which I can show you because of the spoilers) :) Now all I need to do is to put all that togeather in the game and the ending for the Wolf side of the story should be done by the end of the week :)

MMM

Code: Evolved Wolf side of the story is finally done! And I started working on first (out of two) bonus stages for the wolf. And after that only 9 more stages for Owl side of the story remain to be done. But while I tested Wolf story I found out that there is a massive lag on Windows 10 (again). So after one whole day of work, I finally found underline problem. I still don't know why only Windows 10 had difficulties properly loading the game but... it doesn't matter. Everything works fine now! :)

This was a good thing because I found out that White Wolf 1 game has the same problem on Windows 10. So I will fix and upgrade White Wolf 1 (smoother controls, better animation on wolf, lower hp on some enemies...) and I will upload new version by the end of the next week :)

MMM

Code: Evolved Big upgrade changes!

The first round of game testing (full Wolf side of the story) is done. And I got tons of useful feedback! But one of them stands out the most. There was too much grinding in the game. This is especially problematic because Code: Evolved is a Metroidvania type of game. So grinding for EXP really does not mesh well with exploration nature of the game. For that purpose, I redesign EXP system.

First, there is no more EXP. You can now upgrade your skills and status with EP (evo points). A system for upgrading your character is the same. But enemies won't give you EXP anymore. Now You'll have to find EVO orbs in stages. There are 19 Evo orbs and some of them will give you 1500 EP, some of them 3000 EP. This way player can upgrade the character in which order he wants, but the exploration core of the game will be preserved.. :)

So, what are the future plans for Code: Evolved? well... this is a big change. I will make stage 2 for Owl side of the story and I will upload DEMO v3. This demo will contain 2 Owl stages, 3 Wolf stages, and the new Evo orb system. This demo will fix small things too. Like better jumping, some enemy changes and so on... This is also going to be the last demo for Code: Evolved. So I hope you will like this new system and see you all soon with more Code: Evolved news. :)

MMM

Here it is... one of the strangest Code: Evolved boss fights. This guy will run away from you a few times. But don't worry. He will still be in the stage somewhere :)

MMM

A new type of doors in Code: Evolved! Kill side bosses and receive dream keys to unlock new (optional) paths trough the stages :)

I

irvinmujcin

Prvo svaka cast od neceg moras krenuti,ali nisam nasao da ima nasih ljudi i sada vidim ovo big like i samo nastavi upravo skidam igru da vidim ali odlicno

MMM

Prvo svaka cast od neceg moras krenuti,ali nisam nasao da ima nasih ljudi i sada vidim ovo big like i samo nastavi upravo skidam igru da vidim ali odlicno
Hvala puno za podrsku i nadam se da ces uzivati u demo verziji ove igre :) Uskoro stize i Demo v3 gde su napravljene neke povece izmene. :)

MMM

Code: Evolved Neo Semidori Owl stage 2 is more than a 50% done! So the new (and final) Code Evolved DEMO will be done and uploaded by the end of the next week. :) This new demo will contain new gameplay changes (removal of EXP grinding and introduction of EVO orbs), more polished gameplay, and will have 3 wolf stages and 2 owl stages.

Also, #WhiteWolf 1 will be updated (smoother controls, better wolf animation, more balanced enemies...) and uploaded by the end of the month!

So, all in all, this is going to be a month full of White Wolf universe content :)

Follow Code: Evolved development on:
Official page:https://mmmfree2dwindowsgames.blogspot.rs/
MMM games Fb page: https://www.facebook.com/MMMindiegames/#

MMM

Code: Evolved DEMO v3 is almost done and it will be uploaded on GameJolt, itch.io and Indie DB this Saturday :) In the meantime here is one screenshot from Neo Semidori Owl stage :)

MMM

New Code: Evolved demo is now available!

-3 Wolf stages
-2 Owl stages
-Voice acting added in cut scenes
-New EVO orb system
-Small bugs fixed
-Cheat codes added

So, check it out and I'm looking forward to your feedback :)

MMM

White Wolf 1 updated version is here! :)

Now I can continue work on Code: Evolved - White Wolf 2. Owl stage 3 is next in line for development.

Changes in updated version:

- More balanced enemies
- Smoother controls
- Few bugs fixed
- Better game performance on Windows 10
- Several smaller changes
Check out updated White Wolf version of the game on http://mmmgamesindie.blogspot.rs/

MMM

Now that the Code: Evolved demo v3 and White Wolf 1 updated version are done and uploaded I can continue work on Code: Evolved Owl stage 3. And here it is. First stage 3 screenshot :)

MMM

Small Code: Evolved update.

I’m currently working on an Owl stage 3 which is the most complex stage in Code: Evolved game so far. But in the meantime, I’m making plans on paper for 2 Wolf / Owl bonus stages.

Bonus stages are now known as Subconscious 1 and Subconscious 2 and it will contain the only real Midori in the whole game. Alter ego Midori. This is going to be the most powerful boss fight in the game and his look and attacks will be different depending on who is fighting him (Owl or Wolf). But the rewards are going to be great! :)

MMM

Yesterday I finally took the time to download a free version of Game Maker Studio 2. I almost done my current game called #CodeEvolved but this game is done in Game Maker 8 and this engine is seriously starting to show it's age. Especially on Windows 10. And I have to say that GMS2 is so good! Much better than I imagined by watching GMS2 videos. There are a few big changes I need to get used to. The biggest of them all is a room editor. But after spending just a few hours with GMS2 I already got used to the layer system in room editor which is a great thing.

Here is some advice for those who want to work with views.
In GMS2 there is no view_xview and view_yview function anymore. It sounds like big minus but with the new camera and layer functions, you can control parallax scrolling and layer movement much better. Here is how it works.

view_xview is now camera_get_view_x(view_camera)

and if you want parallax scrolling on some layer (for example background) all you have to do is add code in Player step event:

layer_x("Background",camera_get_view_x(view_camera[0])* 0.25);

There are a lot more changes like this in GMS2 but I think that are all changed for the better. I can safely say that the Code: Evolved is going to be the last game I made in Game Maker 8. I can't wait to explore full version of the GMS2 and I am looking forward to working in this beautiful new engine :) O, and GMS2 has auto tiling... awesome!

MMM

Code: Evolved - Owl stage 3 (out of 10) is almost done! And after that, I'm starting to work on Wolf bonus stages 1 and 2 :)