• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion [SOLVED] Runtime 2.0.6.93 not working

P

PandaPenguin

as the title says...

after updating to the latest IDE and runtime version I can't test run or debug any of my projects (new and existing)
even compiling into an exe or ZIP doesn't work, the compiler just does nothing at all

I already checked some other posts on that matter but none of the presented "solutions" worked for me o_O

what I did so far?
  • restart GMS2
  • reboot PC
  • manually delete all "runtime" instances in C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes
  • tried both Desktop and Steam version (fresh installs)
  • tried to run previouse runtime version (2.0.5.49) with no success
  • completely removed any occurances of GMS2 in %appdata%
GMS2_error1.fw.png GMS2_error2.fw.png
1st image Desktop version, 2nd image Steam version

any other solutions for this?
this issue is costing me real money as I can't keep my deadline if this problem persists! :(

rIKmAN

Do you have any anti-virus or system protection software that might be blocking access to or deleting files/folders used in the build process?

P

PandaPenguin

Do you have any anti-virus or system protection software that might be blocking access to or deleting files/folders used in the build process?
Windows Defender is running but has not popped up with anything

just turned it off for testing but nothing changed on the GMS2 side

rIKmAN

Windows Defender is running but has not popped up with anything

just turned it off for testing but nothing changed on the GMS2 side
It's a long shot, but try re-installing with Windows Defender off - maybe it blocked something during the install process?

As I said - long shot, as I'm running Windows 10 x64 with Windows Defender running and have had no problems at all with any of the updates - at least not in terms of running projects (bugs are another story though!)

Are you 100% sure Windows Defender is the only AV / System Protection software you have installed?
It's not the same issue, but could it be something similar to this?

Also, what are your system specs, OS etc?
Other people with the same issue seem to have been able to solve it, so maybe you have something particular to your system.

P

PandaPenguin

Are you 100% sure Windows Defender is the only AV / System Protection software you have installed?
It's not the same issue, but could it be something similar to this?
thanks for your suggestions...
I'm 100% sure I don't have any other AV or firewall software installed
I also checked my dxdiag log for any GM errors as suggested in your link but the log was clean

also re-installing with disabled Defender did no change to the issue

right now Im using an older IDE/runtime version from prior to the update which I found on my other computer (which of course begs me to be updated)
this way I can at least somehow keep working on my project but it still sucks that a software update can screw you over like this

oh and my OS is Windows 10 Pro x64
system specs
Intel i7-4790K 4GHz
32GB DDR3
240GB SSD

rIKmAN

thanks for your suggestions...
I'm 100% sure I don't have any other AV or firewall software installed
I also checked my dxdiag log for any GM errors as suggested in your link but the log was clean

also re-installing with disabled Defender did no change to the issue

right now Im using an older IDE/runtime version from prior to the update which I found on my other computer (which of course begs me to be updated)
this way I can at least somehow keep working on my project but it still sucks that a software update can screw you over like this

oh and my OS is Windows 10 Pro x64
system specs
Intel i7-4790K 4GHz
32GB DDR3
240GB SSD
Yeah it sucks - sorry I can't help much more.
Our specs are very similar though:

Windows 10 Pro x64 (completely up to date)
i7-7700k @ 4.8Ghz
16Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz
540GB SSD
6GB GTX 1060

So it must be a software issue of some sort.
Is Windows completely up to date?
You installed GMS2 to the default location?

Just thinking out loud...

P

PandaPenguin

So it must be a software issue of some sort.
Is Windows completely up to date?
You installed GMS2 to the default location?

Just thinking out loud...
yep, default location and all, windows user is admin too, no other UAC restrictions

my Win10 is Build 14393 and no new updates are found so I assume it's the latest I can get

btw I just installed the GMS2 Steam version on my 3rd pc (render machine, dual Xeon X5650, 24GB ECC DDR3, GTX1070)
it has the exact same Win10 build and here the Runtime 2.0.6.93 works totally fine :eek:
(and Defender was running the whole time too)

Last edited by a moderator:

rIKmAN

it has the exact same Win10 build and here the Runtime 2.0.6.93 works totally fine :eek:
Like I said it must be an issue particular to that PC / installation.

Try completely uninstalling GMS2, then reboot.
Download CCleaner - the free edition is fine.

Run/install it, choose "Registry" on the left hand side, then click "Scan for Issues".
Fix any issues it finds, and "Scan for Issues" again - repeat this until it finds no issues.

Press CTRL+Shift+Escape to open Task Manager.
Go to the "Startup" tab, and check if there is anything in there that shouldn't be there, or you don't want starting on Windows boot - disable any that you find.

Reboot.

Try installing GMS2 again using the latest version: v2.0.6.136 from here.
Create a new project, just an empty room, and try and run it.

Cross your fingers, arms, legs and eyes and hope it works.

Let me know!

P

PandaPenguin

Like I said it must be an issue particular to that PC / installation.

Try completely uninstalling GMS2, then reboot.
Download CCleaner - the free edition is fine.

Run/install it, choose "Registry" on the left hand side, then click "Scan for Issues".
Fix any issues it finds, and "Scan for Issues" again - repeat this until it finds no issues.

Press CTRL+Shift+Escape to open Task Manager.
Go to the "Startup" tab, and check if there is anything in there that shouldn't be there, or you don't want starting on Windows boot - disable any that you find.

Reboot.

Try installing GMS2 again using the latest version: v2.0.6.136 from here.
Create a new project, just an empty room, and try and run it.

Cross your fingers, arms, legs and eyes and hope it works.

Let me know!
erm... ya, thanks for holding my hand here ... but I think I can handle a registry clean and fresh install ;)

which did nothing at all in the end... still not compiling .... at least that's what I thought!

if I now run GMS2 Desktop version explicitly with admin privileges I can suddenly compile again which clearly did not work when I tried prior to uninstall/registry cleaning/re-install
when running GMS2 as regular admin user it won't compile like before so...wtf

but yay, thanks for the idea with cleaning the registry!

rIKmAN

erm... ya, thanks for holding my hand here ... but I think I can handle a registry clean and fresh install ;)
Dude, it's the GMS forums where people ask things like "How do I make my man move" and "What does this error mean" when the error message is written in plain English in front of their faces.

If I'd said "Do a registry clean and fresh install" I'd have been asked "What's a registry clean", so thought I'd save time and just give quick instructions. ;)

Anyway, glad it appears to have changed something, so it seems something UAC related maybe?
What are the permissions on the various GMS2 folders, and does your normal Admin account have r/w/e etc access to them?
It should preferably be "Full Control" given that it's an Admin account.

If you need a guide for checking those, let me know! ;) :p

P

PandaPenguin

Anyway, glad it appears to have changed something, so it seems something UAC related maybe?
What are the permissions on the various GMS2 folders, and does your normal Admin account have r/w/e etc access to them?
It should preferably be "Full Control" given that it's an Admin account.
well a relation to the UAC also came to my mind but then again this windows user is admin and has "full control" on the GMS2 folder structure
UAC settings are identical to the ones on the 3rd computer and there everything is fine

also what just won't get into my head is why this admin user still can "Run as Administrator" on GMS2 with a different result while on the 3rd computer the same result can be achieved without elevated privileges

I just read about an "elevated administrator" that is different to the "standard administrator" which has to be enabled manually... gonna see if making my user permanently elevated will help also
but then again, I'm not sure I want this elevated admin for everyday use just because GMS2 is bitching around :p

Last edited by a moderator:

rIKmAN

I just read about an "elevated administrator" that is different to the "standard administrator" which has to be enabled manually... gonna see if making my user permanently elevated will help also
but then again, I'm not sure I want this elevated admin for everyday use just because GMS2 is bitching around :p
Yeah true.

It may take some time but it might be worth comparing the installed programs of each machine and seeing if there are any differences, especially with runtimes, frameworks, API's that sort of thing.

Is there anything reported in the ui.log file?
Try deleting the ui.log file and re-running GMS2, then compiling (not elevated, so it doesn't work) and then close GMS2 and check the ui.log file to see if anything was reported as missing / unable to find / error with etc.

P

PandaPenguin

Is there anything reported in the ui.log file?
Try deleting the ui.log file and re-running GMS2, then compiling (not elevated, so it doesn't work) and then close GMS2 and check the ui.log file to see if anything was reported as missing / unable to find / error with etc.
well if there had been an error there would be a ui.log file
but since just nothing happens at all when "not compiling"...there is no ui.log either

and speaking of installed programms...windows just popped up with an update notice for the new "Windows 10 Creators Update".... might test this right away and see if GMS2 will "fix itself" this way :D

rIKmAN

well if there had been an error there would be a ui.log file
but since just nothing happens at all when "not compiling"...there is no ui.log either

and speaking of installed programms...windows just popped up with an update notice for the new "Windows 10 Creators Update".... might test this right away and see if GMS2 will "fix itself" this way :D
There is a ui.log file whether the program would run or not, it's created automatically and logs UI actions etc.

If you can "view hidden files/folders" check C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\ui.log
If not, enable it and do the above or check here: %programdata%\GameMakerStudio2\ui.log

Ummmm the Creators Update isn't new - I installed it about 2-3wks ago! o_O

P

PandaPenguin

There is a ui.log file whether the program would run or not, it's created automatically and logs UI actions etc.

If you can "view hidden files/folders" check C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\ui.log
If not, enable it and do the above or check here: %programdata%\GameMakerStudio2\ui.log

Ummmm the Creators Update isn't new - I installed it about 2-3wks ago! o_O
ya I checked those locations and there is no ui.log file anywhere, hidden or not

well, my system is kept up to date but the Creator Update only showed up today
so I'm on Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 15063 now and hey... GMS2 now compiles without elevated priviliges... FML right? :D

rIKmAN

ya I checked those locations and there is no ui.log file anywhere, hidden or not

well, my system is kept up to date but the Creator Update only showed up today
so I'm on Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 15063 now and hey... GMS2 now compiles without elevated priviliges... FML right? :D
Haha, well at least it's sorted now - weird you weren't prompted to update before now though.
Hopefully this thread will help anyone else having a similar issue as I've seen a few of these type of threads.

Happy coding! :)