The Executive Game

The Executive Game is about making elaborate plans to execute various crimes like robbery, kidnapping and assassination.

Each mission has a certain amount of random generation, but after that everything becomes deterministic: If the player informs himself sufficiently, he can prepare for any of the seemingly random events happening during the game.

This is not exactly a tactical game, it is about strategy. Once your plan is set into motion, there are very few ways for you to react to the situation at hand. Everything from there on depends on your careful planning and the trust in your own troops.

After all, you're only the brain of the operation.

What is available

For those who want to try out a few things regarding the game mechanics, here is a sort of temporary demo (version 0.3):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ch7ph7ntwyirxbl/The_Executive_Game_v0.3.exe?dl=0
I will be giving away tester keys to anyone who wishes to become a tester. Just PM me!

Gameplay

There is a weapon triangle.
  • ranged beats melee
  • melee beats explosives
  • explosives beats ranged
If you build a squad with an explosive user in it, your squad is able to destroy crackable walls by walking on purple spots.

Right now there is no option to open doors, so you can just right-click them to make them magically disappear. Just pretend that one of your squads reached a switch or a key.

The basic mechanic of this game is that you drag and drop to draw arrows around the path that you wish your units to go through. A unit is made of between 1 and 4 individuals, you can make them by dragging solo soldiers into the command slots of unit leaders.

Once your plan is set in motion, just press Enter repeatedly to execute it!

What this thread is for

Mostly I will use this thread as a devlog. Making a strategy game is kind of a new thing for me, so I will also need all the feedback I can get. If you see something weird mechanics-wise, please reply here. If you have any interesting suggestions about what a mobster would do in this kind of game, please reply here. If you have any sort of questions, please ask!

Last edited:
R

Rabid_Ghost

While i was looking at this post i dint understand that the grey were walls and what everything else was. To help make this easier to identify i would suggest using a sort of 3d wall like prison architect does

While i was looking at this post i dint understand that the grey were walls and what everything else was. To help make this easier to identify i would suggest using a sort of 3d wall like prison architect does
I see what you mean. This is definitely graphically doable :)
In other words, you mean using an orthographic projection like final fantasy 6 or fire emblem.
Right now my main focus is the core gameplay and win/lose conditions, as soon as I have that out of the way I'll work a bit more on environments!

I've added a little inventory system which allows you to pick up keys and open doors.
Characters will also drop their carried items when they die.

Units will now be in stealth mode when you spawn them inside cover.

Once in stealth mode, a unit will never engage the enemy. However the enemy may still engage you if you’re out of cover or too close to them.

Entering combat cancels stealth mode.

Characters can now speak.

My next step is to create an actual tutorial so that you guys have an idea of what you’re supposed to do!

Since the dialog system is complete, I have decided to start writing a few cutscenes. And for those cutscenes, I need character art. Right now I am drawing the first few characters that will appear in the game. They’re all more or less expys from existing characters in war games, I’ll let you imagine who!

From left to right:
  • A lawyer, who has experience in the crime world and will give you tutorial advice.
  • A mercenary, who takes on any kind of contract.
  • A sneaky thief with lighting speed and reflexes. (still a WIP)

K

Koohyar

Hi there. Looks interesting. But I have no clue what to do... xD Please write that tutorial as soon as you can.

Hello everyone!

There have been a few improvements since my last devlog. The main complaint I have received is that beta-testers had simply no idea what to do in the game. Therefore, I’ve been slowly adding stuff that improves readability and teaches the player. First one being: A dialog system complete with character facial expressions and dialog sound effects.

This system easily allows me to create cutscenes anywwhere I want. And boy are there going to be a lot of cutscenes!

The next step was to add a tutorial. So in this first level, characters will be telling you exactly what they want you to do:

This comes with flashing objectives and a step-by-step explanation of how the mechanics work. Each tutorial level will focus on a few specific aspects of the game:

• Path-drawing mechanics, inventory mechanics
  • Combat, and the weapons triangle
  • Stealth and terrain effects
  • Using information and general strategy.
I’ve also added a few miscellaneous functions. For one, the game can now be won and it can be lost (And in my opinion it is a vital component in a game that the player can win and that you just lost the game.)

Here is an example of a victory screen:

And this is what happens when you lose:

Notice the little message that appears on this last screen. I intend for every defeat condition to be unique and to provide information as to why exactly the player lost. Most of the time, those messages will end in funny little snippets that explain how the story continues due to your bad decisions. All of them are not canon, but at least they will provide some fun relief after losing.

I also intend my game to be as self-aware as possible. Notice for instance what happens when you deliberately try to make the mission end because of the timer:

And that’s all for today, folks! Remember that comments are my salary.

F

FROGANUS

Looks cool! Design and mechanics seem clean and focused.
Are you tied to the name?

Looks cool! Design and mechanics seem clean and focused.
Are you tied to the name?
Yes, the name is something I'm going to keep :)
It's fundamentally a game of cards between various mafia families. Therefore the executive game.

Nice!!!! Can't wait to play the new demo!
Do you have a Gamejolt account?
I am giving away free keys to gamejolt users. You can try version 0.2 if you have one.

Character development

Hey there everyone! I have been busy with one of my friends, writing bunch of character bios for this game. Of course everything is in french, but I will do my best to translate the important parts as well as I can. The following is a description of the four most powerful mafia families in The Executive Game, with their most important henchmen. Some of it is a bit spoiler-y if you try to translate the character description so don’t dive too deep :p

♠ Spade Inc. ♠

The most american corporation in the game. They focus on Arms-dealing, and provide mercenary services. All members of this corporations are equipped with the best weaponry, and will have +1 attack.

♥ The Kokoro-Gumi ♥

My rendition of the Yakuza. They are well-integrated in society, managing night-clubs and prostitution rings. However for the right price they might also indulge in kidnappings and human traffic. By joining the Kokoro-Gumi, you will undergo a very harsh, potentially lethal training. All members therefore have +1 HP

♦ La Quadra Nostra ♦

Italian Immigrants, with a strong affinity to bank robbery and racket. Everything in the country belongs to them. And what doesn’t belong to them yet will be stolen soon. Very strict notions of territory and family. The family wants soldiers who are agile and think fast. All members have +1 speed

♣ The Bastos Motorcycle Club ♣

Your friendly Neighborhood Mexican Cartel. They have the best drugs. And you’ll never catch them. As they get busted quite often, they also happen to be the best escape artists. All members have +1 Adaptability

If you have any character suggestions or questions or anything really please say so and I will gladly reply :D This game is still a fresh idea so anything can be added.

K

Koohyar

Hey this is really great. Thanks for making this. :)
Please don't forget to add a save functionality to the next demo.

If I get any ideas, I'll share them with you. This game's so awesome and promising. It can be a great title.

Hey this is really great. Thanks for making this. :)
Please don't forget to add a save functionality to the next demo.

If I get any ideas, I'll share them with you. This game's so awesome and promising. It can be a great title.
hey, thanks for the comment :)
I will be adding an auto-save function in one of the next builds. basically everytime you go back to the main menu it saves :)
Throw all ideas you have at me :p

K

Koohyar

Hey this is cool. Maybe, if her noise (and mouth) was a little bit moved to the left it would look better (maybe not). I have this feeling mostly on the right one (smiling one).