• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Help! Figuring out math formula

G

Gabriel

So, I'm kind of having a math trouble to create a simple effect (let's call it so) in my game.

When the player is wearing this x-ray specs, I want a hidden arrow to show up, indicating the path to a secret area.

There are two conditions, though:
- The player can only see the arrow if he's close to it, therefore, the arrow opacity must change as he gets closer or farther.
- When the distance player - - - arrow is equal or less than 200 (pixels), the arrow must be completely opaque.

For that, I've used the following code in the arrow's draw event:
Code:
///Draw Self According to Ghost Distance
var op = 0;

if ghost.xray == true
    {
        if distance_to_object(ghost) <= 200
            {
                var op = 1;
            }
    }

draw_sprite_ext(sprite_index, 0, x, y, 1, 1, 0, c_white, op);
But I don't want the arrow to appear out of nowhere. Instead, it should appear gradually as the player approaches the point which is 200px farther from the arrow.

How can I add an else statement for that to happen? I can't quite figure which formula to use, so the opacity lowers as the player departs... :bash:

Last edited by a moderator:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Another common approach:
Code:
var dist = distance_to_object(ghost);
if (dist <= 200) {
  op = 1;
} else if (dist <= 600) {
  op = 1 - (dist - 200) / 400;
} else {
  op = 0;
}
I suggest that you read the Wikipedia article on linear interpolation. It shows up so often in game development that there is no excuse not to learn it.

Edit: Fixed reversed interpolation.

Last edited:

sp202

You could replace the if statements with a clamp, no idea whether it's technically better but it sure looks nicer.
Code:
min_dist=200
range=400

dist=distance_to_object(ghost)
op=clamp(1-(dist-min_dist)/range,0,1)

Last edited:
G

Gabriel

@Alisa, @FrostyCat Thank you so much!
@sp202 With clamp it doesn't work as I want to, because it does the opposite (the opacity will fade as the ghost gets closer).

Now I can have x-ray masters on my game. :bunny: