• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Asset - Extension SMS Manager - Android

zbox

GMC Elder
SMS Manager- Android

Marketplace: https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/5347/sms-manager-android
Category: Extensions
Price: $9.99
Modules: Android

Description:
Send and receive text messages on Android using the user's provider.

Functions include:
  • Send an SMS to a phone number with one function: AndroidSMS_Send("123456789", "This is a text message")
  • Receive SMS's content and sender asynchronously
An example of receiving a text (Async event):
Code:
if (async_load[? "type"] == "sms") {
   message_text  = async_load[? "message"];
   sender_number = async_load[? "from"];
}
See the included example for a fully-working demonstration.

lolslayer

I had no idea that something like this was possible in GM.

But to be fair, I don't know how helpful it is for video game developers. I don't want to be negative about this but I'm pretty sure that not a lot of people want to pay $10 for a product as specific as this one.

zbox

GMC Elder
I had no idea that something like this was possible in GM.

But to be fair, I don't know how helpful it is for video game developers. I don't want to be negative about this but I'm pretty sure that not a lot of people want to pay $10 for a product as specific as this one.
Anything is possible with extensions :)

I don't expect people to see this and wistfully go, 'Oh yes, I could use that maybe one day'. It is really for people who specifically need this functionality, and those people are the ones willing to pay the (relatively small price in terms of development time) $9.99.

Moreso I was actually commissioned to build this for someone - so at least one person needs it and I'm happy to provide it for them!

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I think the best thing you could add to this(or provide as a separate product) would be access to the contacts. This would let the player choose them from a list similar to how games access your facebook friends to send the invites(and other crap like many FTP games do).

zbox

GMC Elder
I think the best thing you could add to this(or provide as a separate product) would be access to the contacts. This would let the player choose them from a list similar to how games access your facebook friends to send the invites(and other crap like many FTP games do).
Interesting - I'll consider adding this is I get some spare time :)

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Honestly...I'm wondering if it is something you want to include in this extension, or something better you could put in a separate product. The problem I see is that the more you put in one product, the higher the price, but then people have to pay for stuff they may not want...so it may be better to have multiple products with lower prices. It's up to you of course...just my 2 cents.

zbox

GMC Elder
Potentially. The problem I've found with Gamemaker, and the Marketplace, is that when juxtaposed with something like say Unity, Unity is much more matured and so is its user base, who evidently recognise that things like time and experience cost money. I'd love for it to be this way but unfortunately not everything is a dollar or free :p If you take a look on their asset store, you'll find that most semi-quality assets do not sell for under $10. I feel like the time and experience I have put in is worth that tag, at the very least.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I think you may have misunderstood me. I wasn't saying go down on your current price. I was saying if you add features to add, you would normally have to go up in price, which means that people could be paying for things they don't use. An alternative is to keep lower prices(not lower than what you have), but have several things. Instead of 1 $30 product doing A, B, and C, have 3 products doing 1 thing each at $10 each...

Trust me, I will be happy when the GM community matures(as in has enough commercial users and the product be ready for it) to the point where you can sell more products at higher prices that are of course worth those prices. 2d is quite a niche though in some regards, so it may be harder to come up with products than it would be for 3d, unless of course the product involves extending into 3d.

zbox

GMC Elder
I think you may have misunderstood me. I wasn't saying go down on your current price. I was saying if you add features to add, you would normally have to go up in price, which means that people could be paying for things they don't use. An alternative is to keep lower prices(not lower than what you have), but have several things. Instead of 1 $30 product doing A, B, and C, have 3 products doing 1 thing each at $10 each...

Trust me, I will be happy when the GM community matures(as in has enough commercial users and the product be ready for it) to the point where you can sell more products at higher prices that are of course worth those prices. 2d is quite a niche though in some regards, so it may be harder to come up with products than it would be for 3d, unless of course the product involves extending into 3d.
Oh yes - Looks like I did misunderstand, fair enough. I guess its a double edge sword too - more users == more competition :p