Blazing Chrome | 16-bit Run 'n Gun (PC, PS4 & Switch announcement!)

P

psyke

blazing_logo.png

Description
Blazing Chrome is a 16-bit cyberpunk post apocalyptic run ‘n gun game with heavy influences from Contra and Metal Slug.

Development
The game is being developed by Iuri Nery (me) and Danilo Dias (creator of Oniken and Odallus: The Dark Call) from JoyMasher. The development of the game started on GMS but we ported it over to GMS 2 a few months ago. The game is at early stages but we do have plans on releasing it on Steam at some point in 2018.

Features
• Run 'n Gun genre;
• Sega Genesis 16-bit retro style;
• 4 distinctive weapons;
• 3 power-ups to give your character a nice boost;
• 2 players local coop;
• Lots of enemies;
• Giant bosses;
• Mechas;
• Customizable controls & Gamepad support;
• 4:3 resolution for CRT monitors;
• Shaders (CRT & 5xBR);
• Online ranking;
• and more!​

Example of enemies
enemies.png

VIDEOS

Stage 01 Soundtrack (Work in Progress)

How to Play

Sound Test

+VIDEOS
TWITTER (NO SOUND)

Stage 01 Gameplay

Unusual Enemy

Boss Fight

There is not much info to share, but feel free to comment or give us some feedbacks.
THANKS!​

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Docker

As a big lover of metal slug I must say... I get a good feeling from these videos and can't wait for a playable demo

B

Boogery Boogers

This is 16 bit retro properly done. Great job! it's a very well presented how-to-play video you got there, the shooting looks satisfying and I really like how you have the standing on the spot aiming. That's something I think Contra and Metal Slug lacked. The soundtrack is pretty good too. I have no idea what that red headed guy is doing in his idle animation but I love it hahaha. Look forward to seeing more updates to this.

RangerX

Really sound like a nice project but isn't it graphics from Contra Hard Corps? (best Contra game ever by the way)

P

psyke

As a big lover of metal slug I must say... I get a good feeling from these videos and can't wait for a playable demo
Thanks! Metal Slug is awesome, the blue Mecha seen in the video was inspired by the vehicles from Metal Slug. =)

This is 16 bit retro properly done. Great job! it's a very well presented how-to-play video you got there, the shooting looks satisfying and I really like how you have the standing on the spot aiming. That's something I think Contra and Metal Slug lacked. The soundtrack is pretty good too. I have no idea what that red headed guy is doing in his idle animation but I love it hahaha. Look forward to seeing more updates to this.
Thanks! And glad you liked it!
I also agree with you on the "aim lock" feature. It's something that makes everything easier to aim, and also provides a more enjoyable experience.
Doyle (the punk 'toaster') is doing some head-banging moves hahaha

Really sound like a nice project but isn't it graphics from Contra Hard Corps? (best Contra game ever by the way)
Thanks! All the graphics were created by Danilo Dias and are 100% original.
He took a lot of inspiration from Contra Hard Corps and Contra 3: Alien Wars.

Oh, hell yeah. It's you guys! =D
I've already told you guys multiple times on Twitter, but your game looks rad as hell. Didn't know you were using GM too. Cool!

Looking forward to seeing more. This is one of the best looking GM games I've seen, and is one of the few indie games I'm actually interested in right now. You guys are doing retro right!

Micah_DS

Gotta say, Danilo Dias has a lot of my respect for those beautiful retro graphics, and from what I've seen, the other aspects of the game look quite solid as well.
I actually missed this game until I saw your post about the depth order problems. On that note, I really hope you can sort out the issue with draw depth and layers that you've had pop up with the latest beta version. The game looks sweet.

P

psyke

Yup, he really masters pixel art. The type of guy to make you feel like you'll never be good at it! lol
Yes, and he is getting better and better, you can compare Oniken with Blazing Chrome and you will se a huge difference in techniques.

Oh, hell yeah. It's you guys! =D
I've already told you guys multiple times on Twitter, but your game looks rad as hell. Didn't know you were using GM too. Cool!

Looking forward to seeing more. This is one of the best looking GM games I've seen, and is one of the few indie games I'm actually interested in right now. You guys are doing retro right!
Thanks! Yeah, we're using GMS 2, we tough about using Construct, but Game Maker seemed like a better choice.
=)

Gotta say, Danilo Dias has a lot of my respect for those beautiful retro graphics, and from what I've seen, the other aspects of the game look quite solid as well.
I actually missed this game until I saw your post about the depth order problems. On that note, I really hope you can sort out the issue with draw depth and layers that you've had pop up with the latest beta version. The game looks sweet.
Thanks, glad you liked it!
We're working on the solution, I fixed most of the depth issues today =)

B

Boogery Boogers

Hello everyone,

Today we released the teaser for Blazing Chrome, I hope you enjoy it!
I am loving the animation at 0:13 to 0:21, awesome teaser

"It's time......to blaze some chrome!"
and I was like "F*** YEAH!" :cool:

R

ramen

This looks like actual, legit 16bit.
A lot of people use this as a marketing bait und then do something stupid like rotate highres pixels. But I have a very good feeling about your product, it looks like you guys "get it". Consider yourselves rooted for.

P

psyke

Awesome graphics !
aw sheeeet this game looks excellent.
This looks like actual, legit 16bit.
A lot of people use this as a marketing bait und then do something stupid like rotate highres pixels. But I have a very good feeling about your product, it looks like you guys "get it". Consider yourselves rooted for.
Thanks! Glad you liked it! =D

impressive!

no kickstarter or publisher deal?
Thanks!
We have no plans for a kickstarter right now.

A

anthropus

We have no plans for a kickstarter right now.
Ok, but why? Lol, seems like guaranteed money/sales, bc I know that game Odallus that the sprite artist did brought in thousands of dollars. I'm just curious lol

P

psyke

I'm not the one behind the marketing decision, but Danilo has earnt a lot of experience in the past with Odallus and he thinks this is the best decision for us. The kickstarter helps indie developers to get the necessary amount of money to buy resources (like musics and sound effects), but it also gives developers headaches too, because you have a commitment with the bakers to deliver random stuff like t-shirts, pins, etc. Sometimes it's just not worth the money.

Just to make things clear, I'm not speaking as our team, just giving my personal opinion here.

P

psyke

Hello again, we've released a new video showing the gameplay footage from area 1-2, check it out!

Blazing Chrome - Stage Area 1-2 (60FPS + CRT Filter):

D

dan_j

Can't wait for this. Graphics are amazing and the audio is fantastic too, proper brings me back to the days when arcades were king!

Q

quacker

I feel nostalgia when i play classic game like metal slug in this game. This game art, music, play are all interesting and valuable.
How much skill do you need to make this work? lol.

darkfalzx

This is fantastic - I've been following this game since the first videos of it surfaced a while ago. I loved Contra Hard Corps and this seems like a much better successor to it than Hard Corps Uprising.
Also, was the CRT shader hard to set up? I am considering to add it to my own games if it's not a monumental pain in the butt.

A

Alexandre Ribeiro de Sá

who! this is the first time I see a video using the old tv filter <3 I'll share these videos :3

poliver

awesome stuff! always felt that contra hard corps was the pinnacle of series. everything released after was either not too good or just a 'remake' for nostalgia sake. been longing for a game like this.

just curious what made you guys switch from fusion to gm?
been a fan since oniken

E

Eklips_Studios

This looks phenomenal! Please say you are releasing it t steam or PS4!!! Easy day one buy for me.
EDIT: Just read the first post, and yay!

B

basement ape

Oooh this looks absolutely incredible! Definitely a buy for me, I dig the style and tone of it.

M

MatthewRockVGM

So much FM synthesis goodness in that soundtrack. This looks amazing.

P

psyke

This is fantastic - I've been following this game since the first videos of it surfaced a while ago. I loved Contra Hard Corps and this seems like a much better successor to it than Hard Corps Uprising.
Also, was the CRT shader hard to set up? I am considering to add it to my own games if it's not a monumental pain in the butt.
The shader is very flexible and easy to setup. You can find the shader on the Marketplace: https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/5569/old-tv-filter-for-gamemaker

awesome stuff! always felt that contra hard corps was the pinnacle of series. everything released after was either not too good or just a 'remake' for nostalgia sake. been longing for a game like this.

just curious what made you guys switch from fusion to gm?
been a fan since oniken
Thanks!
We switched to GM for 3 main reasons:
1 - It has more platforms to export.
2 - I'm the guy who is doing all the programming stuff, and I since am very familiar with Game Maker, it was the best choice.
3 - It's a better engine overall.

This looks phenomenal! Please say you are releasing it t steam or PS4!!! Easy day one buy for me.
EDIT: Just read the first post, and yay!
Definitely on Steam.
We are looking for all the possibilities, including a console version, but I can't confirm that yet.

Thank you guys for all the compliments! Here is another video we released today, featuring Stage 2 with Online Multiplayer Coop:

B

Betrayalth

This is going to be a must-have for me.

Any ideas on what the price will be when this game is released on steam?