• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Minimun specs?

Y

Yvar192

I think i want to buy a cheap laptop to use GMS:2 on the go, but id don't know of this one is good enough.
It as an
Intel Pentium N3710 and Intel HD Graphics,
2 gigs of DDR3 ram
32 gigs of flash storage

If i buy this it is only for GMS:2 and some text documents on google docs, so storage soud be fine.
It is the Lenovo Ideapad 110S

Please, can someboddy help me?

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
System requirements are listed on the download page.

Looking around, websites say that it comes with a 64-bit version of Windows preinstalled, and that Intel HD series 400 supports DX11, so it would seem like it should run the program.

To be safe, make sure to test GMS2 during the return period of the device.

Y

Yvar192

Thanks! I looked at the minimum specs for GMS:2 and the only thing i was not sure about was the DX version, but thanks for the reply, i am going to buy thrt laptop then. Btw, is the Laptop mode any goods?

JackTurbo

I dunno how GMS2 handles backups and temp data, but I know GMS1 is pretty heavy handed with it which would likely cause substantial annoyance on a 32gb drive.

Jabbers

I dunno how GMS2 handles backups and temp data, but I know GMS1 is pretty heavy handed with it which would likely cause substantial annoyance on a 32gb drive.
I agree. I have a similar spec'd laptop and the 32GB flash is painful with Windows 10. You will be lucky if you have more than a few gigs of free space to work with.

I adore small laptops and computers, but using GameMaker on a budget laptop is going to be painful. I've tried to before, with the greatest will in the world, and it isn't good. The Lenovo Ideapad 110s is ideal as a budget laptop for web browsing and writing, but that is where it ends. Compiling will be slow, graphical work isn't even an option unless you only intend to work with miniature assets (e.g pixel work). If you get the 11" model the screen size will irritate you, and compiling the game for testing will be slow. As above, storage will be an issue, so you would need to change where GameMaker stores it's temp files and select a microSD card or something.

If you have no other choice, it will work, but don't expect it to work well.

Y

Yvar192

I think in this case it would not be a problem, since that laptop has an fast SSD, it is only 32 gigabytes, but it is an fast SSD. And the only thing in the harddrive is going to be GMS:2, and maybe Google Chrome or something

Jabbers

I think in this case it would not be a problem, since that laptop has an fast SSD, it is only 32 gigabytes, but it is an fast SSD. And the only thing in the harddrive is going to be GMS:2, and maybe Google Chrome or something
The speed of the SSD isn't really a concern, although it is almost definitely eMMc storage which isn't as fast as a "proper" SSD, so don't expect much. You will need to buy an SD card, I guarantee you there will be very little usable space. It is probably closer to a 30gb SSD in usable terms, and about 20GB of that will be the Windows 10 installation if they stuck the 64 bit edition on it. I suppose if you get rid of the bloatware and keep an eye on the GameMaker temp folder and cache, you might get away with it (seriously, it can creep up by gigabytes if you have a big project).

The problem is it has an entry level CPU, and presumably whatever integrated GPU that goes with it, which will make it unsuitable for anything other than office tasks. You can use it with GameMaker, but it won't be great. Even if it was super fast, I'd be concerned about the tiny work space you'll have on that small screen. It's a lot harder to work on an 11" screen than it sounds.

Y

Yvar192

Storage is not realy a problem, i can swap the MicroSD card of my N3DS out and put it in the computer, it has 64 gigs of storage. But thanks for the info for the CPU. This laptop is at the moment the best one i can afford, since i bought a gaming PC a month ago. The only thing i expect from it is running GMS:2 without much input lagg. The screen is not realy an issue, i have a friend with an 11" screen and i found using GMS:2 not irritating. Sure, my ultrawide monitor is better, but it will do the job.
Can you please reply if there is much input lagg?

S

Storyteller

Im using a enovo x201 Tablet. GM|S2 runs fine and its only DX10

2nd gen i7, 8 GB ram, 120 gb HDD

ran about $200 used on ebay, its several years old

Jabbers

I tried GameMaker on an HP Pavilion X2 hybrid which has similar specs to the Lenovo machine Yvar192 wants, and it works with a large project, but the compile time is poor. Writing code won't be a problem, but I never tested the room editor or the image editor.

Y

Yvar192

Thanks! i don't realy care about the compiling time, so i think is it an good deal