Android Bunker Z (Releasing Soon)

mar_cuz

Hello,

I am almost ready to release my first game: Bunker Z. I have been working on it, on and off for two years. It is an action platformer where the player character controls the main character 'Jake' and his trusty remote control Drone. Its basically a standard platformer with puzzles, enemies, obstacles and bosses. Jake has a few abilities, some dependent on stamina and other things. One is a 'zoom' where you can zoom past an enemy quickly to attack it from behind. You have the ability to collect blueprints and mod the drone to have different weapons and looks. Some mods will be required to finish some of the puzzles. There is also a selection of weapons Jake can use, but his favorite is his baseball bat.

The story is Jake works for an organisation similar to 'anonymous' where hes has broken into a secret underground bunker run by 'Z Corp'. In it they have been performing experiments on humans and something has gone wrong. All the security measures are activated and Jake must navigate them to find out and expose the company to the world and have it shut down. (Not overly original I know)

Features when finished:

Weapons: Handgun, Shotgun, Machine Gun & Flame Thrower + more
Melee combo attack
Power Ups (more to come) + Food (consume food to replenish stamina)
Will be around 50 levels
Will have 5 bosses
Ability to mod the Drone
Will be many secrets to find
+ More

Please have a look at the video and give some feedback on the look of it, gui or anything you would like to mention. I know the boss fight isn't the best and I'm working to make it better and more rewarding. The scan lines are also there because I recorded the video of my pc screen with my camera. they won't be there in the final product.

Also, please ignore the screen tearing in the video, once it is released it will no longer be an issue.

thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/bunkerzgame

D

Dylaniza

Looks great! (*Edit* Seen it now XD) S̶o̶r̶r̶y̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶I̶ ̶m̶i̶s̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶t̶f̶o̶r̶m̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶?̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶g̶u̶e̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶o̶b̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶t̶o̶n̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶i̶o̶s̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶r̶o̶i̶d̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶h̶?̶ Also just in case you didn't know already there is a free screen recording software called OBS, takes a while to set up but it's a bit easier to capture your screen without having to set up a camera. Hope everything goes well with finishing development and the release!

Geoff Jones

Graphics look great. My only observation was that the movement between different directions seems too abrupt and jarring. Maybe think about slowing it down a little when the player changes directions.
Also, I second OBS... wonderful program.

mar_cuz

Looks great! (*Edit* Seen it now XD) S̶o̶r̶r̶y̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶I̶ ̶m̶i̶s̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶t̶f̶o̶r̶m̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶?̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶g̶u̶e̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶o̶b̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶t̶o̶n̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶i̶o̶s̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶r̶o̶i̶d̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶h̶?̶ Also just in case you didn't know already there is a free screen recording software called OBS, takes a while to set up but it's a bit easier to capture your screen without having to set up a camera. Hope everything goes well with finishing development and the release!
Thanks for your feedback I'll definitely check out obs.

mar_cuz

Graphics look great. My only observation was that the movement between different directions seems too abrupt and jarring. Maybe think about slowing it down a little when the player changes directions.
Also, I second OBS... wonderful program.
Thanks for your suggestion. I agree it is too jarring. Any ideas how I might go about the direction changes?

Geoff Jones

Hmm I would experiment with having the players speed be zero when the player changes direction, and then have it accelerate to maximum speed. Similar to how it works in real life.

Nux

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I really like the art in your game, and some of the mechanics are simple but interesting. I do have a bit of criticism though:
- Enemies should charge an attack before creating a hurtbox, so that the player has time to realize the danger and avoid it (this would be especially difficult since you are creating a mobile game, so you would want to be as forgiving as possible).
- Enemies seem to hit the player even though they are not touching.
- This may be a personal pet-peeve, but that title screen background looks horrible; you are clearly making use of the pixel aesthetic so you should keep all your pixels of equal size.
- I find the animations a tad stiff (this also makes your weapons look weak), but this doesn't matter very much.
- Movement looks a bit unpleasant, since in real life (and most other platformer games) movement is accelerative, not instantaneous.
- Above also applies for your view.
- General things such as shooting a gun whilst its not out, or being hit by a jelly is weird ways.

mar_cuz

I really like the art in your game, and some of the mechanics are simple but interesting. I do have a bit of criticism though:
- Enemies should charge an attack before creating a hurtbox, so that the player has time to realize the danger and avoid it (this would be especially difficult since you are creating a mobile game, so you would want to be as forgiving as possible).
- Enemies seem to hit the player even though they are not touching.
- This may be a personal pet-peeve, but that title screen background looks horrible; you are clearly making use of the pixel aesthetic so you should keep all your pixels of equal size.
- I find the animations a tad stiff (this also makes your weapons look weak), but this doesn't matter very much.
- Movement looks a bit unpleasant, since in real life (and most other platformer games) movement is accelerative, not instantaneous.
- Above also applies for your view.
- General things such as shooting a gun whilst its not out, or being hit by a jelly is weird ways.
Thanks for your feedback I appreciate it. I agree on pretty much all of your points and they will be addressed come release. Thanks again.