• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Fake Light

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
GM Version: GM:Studio 1.XX
Target Platform: Windows
Download: Tuto_fake_light_studio.zip
Links: N/A

A GMS2 version, FREE: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/fake-light-iii-gms2.25608/

Summary:
This tutorial is a basic one and it DOES NOT HANDLE SHADOWS!!!

Here is a very simple way to do a FAKE light. Really easy to copy/paste and understand. What I wanted (back in 2011) is to put all my screen black (well not pitch black, but really dark) and simply substract a hole in it where the player stand. Like on NES's Dragon Warrior or SNES's famous Zelda:

Tutorial
: (Download the zip file above, it contains the gmz project, fully commented)
You'll learn to do a simple hole:

A gradient hole:

Flashlight style:

And multiple lights:

There is also a room to learn how to use fake light using VIEWS.

The old topic: Here

Thousands of downloads and a lot of good comments, thank you, i'm really happy to help you!
Send me a PM if you got any questions or send me a mail : [email protected]

For GM 8.1: tuto_fake_light_gm8.zip
Can't support it well, GM 8.1 is uninstalled... :(

Last edited:
F

foldupgames

I'll have to check that one out - thanks for sharing.

Roderick

This is wonderful. I have exactly this on my list of things to learn, and stumbling on this tutorial in your sig in another thread was quite fortuitous.

Thanks!

MilesThatch

does this support colored light?
All you have to do to make colored lights is draw a black and white version of the sprite that punches through the black surface in additive blend mode. You can do that by taking whatever sprite that is used to punch through the surface, make a copy, color it white and black and use that in a blending mode.

Last edited:

Niels

All you have to do to make colored lights is draw a black and white version of the sprite that punches through the black surface in additive blend mode. You can do that by taking whatever sprite that is used to punch through the surface, make a copy, color it white and black and use that in a blending mode.
that's how I did it myself, but it's not a very elegant way:)

MrOut

2 and an half years later, still very usefull.

I've imported the project into GM 1.4.9999, it works fine despite some warnings when you import the project.

Thanks a lot dude =)