Portfolio - General Looking to help FREE

N

Noctis

Looking to help on someones short term project or brainstorm a short project together for free.

Wanting to challenge myself and learn more GML, so programming preferred. However I can do Design, low pixel art, compose, mix and master music.

Ideally I'd want to team up with another programmer to help critique my code and improve my skills.

I spend about 5-15 hours on game dev per week.

Below is some quick examples of my work. I am seeking this to help build a portfolio so there is not much to show.

Example_code.png
Noctis.png Hero_down.jpg anim_explosion.png

Vxss57

Want a challenge??? Do you want to code an isometric game for me??? Im an artist so no help in coding for me

B

beyond_help

Hey, i've just started programming after a 5 year hiatus. Currently working on an RPG engine which will be a mix of Zelda and fire emblem.

Feel free to message me for more details :)

J

JeTSpice

probably put some "else if" statements in there.
as it is, the step event will check all those conditionals every time.
if you have something like
if...
else if...
else if...
else...

then, when any of those conditionals is met, the step event will skip the rest of them.
makes it faster.

another thing that will speed it up is to make a boolean variable called
playerExperienceChanged

And then, whenever the player gets experience points, set playerExperienceChanged to true.
and then, in the step event, check for playerExperienceChanged to be true,
and if it is, then check the player's particular level and exp points.

So you're just checking a single boolean in the step event, sixty times a second (or whatever your frame rate is)
instead of checking a lot of conditionals each step.
And every once in awhile, when the player's exp goes up, then the players level and exp is checked to see if they leveled up

N

Noctis

Thanks for the advice JeTSpice :)

That code is actually just some early testing for a RPG. Most of it is set in seperate states now to minimise how much is being checked per step.

I am currently available for anyone looking, however I am busy on two projects so will only be taking on a small workload.

Regards,
Noctis

E

EthanPlant

Hello, I'm Ethan From 9KeyStudio.
I'm looking for programmers at the moment.
I'm looking for help on a medium scale game.
I know this post says free but we CAN talk payments.
I would love to get in contact with you. Message men I will send a discord. If you want.
9KeyStudio Is A West Coast Company. You can only for a fact contact me 1 pm - 11 pm PST.

Thanks

F

frozenwisp

Hello, I'm Ethan From 9KeyStudio.
I'm looking for programmers at the moment.
I'm looking for help on a medium scale game.
I know this post says free but we CAN talk payments.
I would love to get in contact with you. Message men I will send a discord. If you want.
9KeyStudio Is A West Coast Company. You can only for a fact contact me 1 pm - 11 pm PST.

Thanks
Its best to do payment with a more knowledgeable programmer (No offence to this persons skills but the code that he has shown is not very efficient)

E

EthanPlant

Its best to do payment with a more knowledgeable programmer (No offence to this persons skills but the code that he has shown is not very efficient)
It's would be a very small amount. But Still better than free.

G

GMSNormie

I have a fairly challenging request, I feel limited by GML and I'm not even sure if it's possible in GMS2. I have a working score variable in my game, and I want it to not only recognize milestones (e.g. say "well done!" if the score counter reaches 1000, etc.), I want it to be able to recognize recurring digits. It's sort of a meme game, so I'd like for the game to recognize dubs, trips, etc. For example, say "nice trips" if the score is 10777. I don't want anything to trigger if the recurring digits are not at the end (e.g if the score is 1,773, nothing should happen).

Even if you just bounce a few thoughts and ideas, it would be very helpful. I think I will have to make a script to write my own function at this point, which is pretty daunting. Hoping you have a more efficient idea?

dphsw

I have a fairly challenging request, I feel limited by GML and I'm not even sure if it's possible in GMS2. I have a working score variable in my game, and I want it to not only recognize milestones (e.g. say "well done!" if the score counter reaches 1000, etc.), I want it to be able to recognize recurring digits. It's sort of a meme game, so I'd like for the game to recognize dubs, trips, etc. For example, say "nice trips" if the score is 10777. I don't want anything to trigger if the recurring digits are not at the end (e.g if the score is 1,773, nothing should happen).
Just off the top of my head, it should look something like...
Code:
last_digit = score % 10;
recurring_digits = 0;
new_last_digit = last_digit;
remaining_digits = score;
while((last_digit==new_last_digit)&&(remaining_digits != 0)){
    recurring_digits++;
    remaining_digits = remaining_digits div 10;
    new_last_digit = remaining_digits % 10;
}
However you code it, make sure it doesn't run forever if the score is zero (which could theoretically be thought of as being written '000000000000000...', hence my check in the loop condition for whether remaining_digits is equal to zero).

N

Noctis

Thanks to everyone with their responses and messages. As some of you may know from private messages I am currently busy on two projects and am no longer available. I'll update this thread when I become available again.

Regards,
Noctis