• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM Creating executable for OSX from Windows

Hello!
I am working on a project for someone who's using OSX/macOS, so that's what I need to target. I have now contacted testers using OSX, to test if the game works well on the system.
However, I can't seem to create an executable. If I do so, I get told to ensure the settings are all set.
I want these testers to simply be able to download the executable and install it, though. Why would I need access to a Mac to create a build for Mac?
I don't think these testers would be willing to give me their Host Name, User Name and Password.

The-any-Key

Apple are very strict with their things. Its more like a "If you dont own a Mac. You dont deserve us."-approach.

You need a real Mac. Its as simply as that :)

Reactions: 607

Apple are very strict with their things. Its more like a "If you dont own a Mac. You dont deserve us."-approach.

You need a real Mac. Its as simply as that :)
Wait, huh? That doesn't seem to be congruent with what FrostyCat is saying here.
Consider this the second time you've been asked to read the setup instructions on the helpdesk.

Every export on GMS 1.x and 2.x, except for HTML5 and non-YYC Windows, requires SDK setup.
Well, I suppose it could be, but then FrostyCat's reply would be considered incomplete, as he made it seem like I didn't need a mac.

Edit: never mind, the helpdesk actually mentions needing a mac.
Well. That's quite detestable. :(
I did think of someone with a mac yesterday, though... but that means I'll have to go visit her whenever I want to update my game?...

You need a developer's certificate to be able to run a custom program on mac?!? That's outrageous, wow. I've always disliked Apple, but wow, this... I can't even think of an English idiom that could describe how absurd this is. :confused:

Y

YourLocalNerd

You need a developer's certificate to be able to run a custom program on mac?!? That's outrageous, wow. I've always disliked Apple, but wow, this... I can't even think of an English idiom that could describe how absurd this is. :confused:
Yeah... apple is kinda bad. They overprice all their products and then they tell you to buy a macbook just to develop a game for their OS?

H

Homunculus

There's one thing I don't get... even if it was possible to create a mac executable without a mac, how are you guys planning on testing your project without a mac in the first place?

rIKmAN

There's one thing I don't get... even if it was possible to create a mac executable without a mac, how are you guys planning on testing your project without a mac in the first place?
I would guess they didn't do their research properly and expected to be able to compile to their iOS device (iPhone/iPod/iPad) from the IDE on Windows.

H

Homunculus

I mentioned that in the OP:
I saw that, but that's a step that comes after YOU test run your game. Thinking that if the game works on windows it should also work the same on another platform is naive. Game maker does a good job porting your game to other platforms, but you can't expect that to be totally effortless.
Your game may not even start on Mac as far as you know, and if you have platform specific bugs what are you going to do? Trial and error by sending the game to the testers every 5 minutes?

All the above is to say that independently from apple, (or google, or game maker) policies, if you want to export a game on a specific platform, you can't think of doing so without testing (and debugging) it yourself on that platform.

I saw that, but that's a step that comes after YOU test run your game. Thinking that if the game works on windows it should also work the same on another platform is naive. Game maker does a good job porting your game to other platforms, but you can't expect that to be totally effortless.
Your game may not even start on Mac as far as you know, and if you have platform specific bugs what are you going to do? Trial and error by sending the game to the testers every 5 minutes?

All the above is to say that independently from apple, (or google, or game maker) policies, if you want to export a game on a specific platform, you can't think of doing so without testing (and debugging) it yourself on that platform.
Alright. That makes sense. Still, it would've been worth trying, if possible.
I've since tried to get it working in html5, which I can test (html5 would probably work on OSX too, right?), but I can't seem to get it to work.

H

Homunculus

HTML5 works independently from the OS, but has some limits with respect to other platforms. Those are generally written in the docs. Also, as far as I could see, it tends to be a bit more buggy in general

D

djjjo

I'm trying to make an executable for windows from my mac and haven't been able to do anything that I know of. I am starting to hate apple

Which part are you getting stuck on?

Here are the instructions for setting up on Mac OS, including setting up to export to Windows. You will need a windows machine running on your network to do so.

https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/235186128-Setting-Up-For-macOS

Alternatively, if you have a Windows machine, and a GMS 2 Developer license, you can create the project on Mac, and share the project files between your two machines. Project files are compatible between Mac and Windows. Then you can just build the game on your Windows device.