• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Considering buying Spine

Zuljaras

Hello,

I am making a side scroller and I want to integrate large enemies (bosses) but I want them to look better. I think that it will be a huge error to try and draw them sprite by sprite so I want to make use of that skeletal animation.

However I have 2 questions about spine so please if you are a Spine user share some of your knowledge:

1. The 70$ version of spine is what most people use? What do you miss if you do not buy the most expensive version? ALL I want is to draw my sprite pieces, import them in Spine, make my animations and export them and then use them in Game Maker.

2. Can you attach objects to the objects of the skeletons? For example lets say that I have an object that is a platform and when the player step on it he will move with it.
To be more precise, can I attach this object to the palm of the boss creature that has been animated in Spine and when it moves his hand up the platform object will move with its arm?

For example the most basic method of attaching objects in GMS is:
IN the END step Event:

obj_platform.x=x;
obj_platform.y=y;

Is this possible to do with Spine "Objects".

I hope I have been clear with my explanation of what I want to do.

Last edited:
J

Joshua Allen

1. The 70$ version of spine is what most people use? What do you miss if you do not buy the most expensive version? ALL I want is to draw my sprite pieces, import them in Spine, make my animations and export them and then use them in Game Maker.
Yeah, you really only need the cheaper version. You're not missing out on much.

2. Can you attach objects to the objects of the skeletons? For example lets say that I have an object that is a platform and when the player step on it he will move with it.
To be more precise, can I attach this object to the palm of the boss creature that has been animated in Spine and when it moves his hand up the platform object will move with its arm?
We do this for all the bosses in Boss 101 so yes it can be done.

Zuljaras

Yeah, you really only need the cheaper version. You're not missing out on much.

We do this for all the bosses in Boss 101 so yes it can be done.
Nice! Thanks for the info!!!

Btw what method are you using to "glue" objects together? is there on option to glue an object to the x,y coordinates of the bone?

rIKmAN

Btw what method are you using to "glue" objects together? is there on option to glue an object to the x,y coordinates of the bone?
You'd create the skeleton for your boss, and add a bone called (for example) "PlatformBone" on his hand.
This bone would be parented so it follows the hand around when animating etc.

Then in GMS you would get the position of the bone each frame using the skeleton_* commands, and simply place your platform at the bone position each frame.

You would still have to handle the collisions etc with the platform and your player, but it can easily be moved around and positioned using the bone data from the skeleton.

J

Joshua Allen

There is no automatic way of attaching objects, what we do is use bones as attachment points. For example, the weapon has a bone called bn_body and the body has a bone called bn_weapon. The weapon gets the location of the bones and moves so the bones attach and it also rotates so the angle of the two bones line up. We also make the body object draw all the attached objects to make everything a little easier.

Zuljaras

You'd create the skeleton for your boss, and add a bone called (for example) "PlatformBone" on his hand.
This bone would be parented so it follows the hand around when animating etc.

Then in GMS you would get the position of the bone each frame using the skeleton_* commands, and simply place your platform at the bone position each frame.

You would still have to handle the collisions etc with the platform and your player, but it can easily be moved around and positioned using the bone data from the skeleton.
My object platform handles the player interaction and movement.

So my current state is this:
CREATE EVENT:
Code:
invisible_platform=instance_create(x,y,platform_obj)
END STEP EVENT:

Code:
invisible_platform.x=x;
invisible_platform.y=y;
This is what I make to attach my platform to another moving object and the player can hop on the object and move along its path, hspeed, vspeed etc.

I want to do the same thing but to the bones of the new boss so I can climb on its arm for example. :)

S

SJWario

Does the new GameMaker Studio 2 support spine, like #1 does?

B

Biggz

When creating a sprite in GMS2 one of the file types on Import is "Spine files (.json)". I believe it's supported but i've not got spine to test.

rIKmAN

Yeah Spine is supported in 2.0 just as it is in 1.0 - they are exactly the same.
I have had no problems importing 1.4 projects that contain Spine sprites into 2.0.